Mar 14 2010
By: coffeerox Wastelander 868 posts

Tips for success in playing FFXIII

46 replies 3184 views Edited Mar 14, 2010

1. Scan every enemy.  It's vital to know what the weak spots are.  In the early periods of the game, not all enemies can be staggered so if you know their weaknesses you can always beat them with raw damage.  Also you will set yourself up to get the Loremaster trophy, which requires 100 different monster scans.

2. Forget about upgrading weapons, they consume too much materials that you cannot grind for.  Wait as long as possible until you feel you need it.

3. Keep a good combination of optima at all times.  Know that the break/stagger meter goes up with magical attacks, and regular attacks prevent the meter from going down too fast.

4. 1 healer does not work for the latter part in the game.  Eventually you will have to do 2 Medic and 1 Sentinel setups.

5. No 1 setup works all the time.  Sometimes you need to enhance for elemental attacks, and sometimes you need to debuff the enemy.  Late game, It's all about Charlie's Angels.  You can't just pick the people you like and be successful with them.  Each character is good at something.

6. Don't skip stat boosts

7. Play from Chapter 1-11 but when you get to 11, don't get too invested in the world because you are limited to what you can do.  Instead, head straight for Mahabara Mines and grind until Crystarium is maxed.  Just beat the game and come back so the world is open to you 100%

8. Auto-Battle is good but sometimes the game needs your personal input and at times it's better than the computer's selections.

9. Switch Optima in real-time, there's a chance that they'll switch all at the same time, or have no animations whatsoever (which is good)

10. Summons are best used when the enemy is staggered.  Summon damage does not have a limit, therefore can go past 100,000 damage.  Good strategy is to stagger the enemy and summon, then skip right to the driving mode and unleash your special.

11. Summons heal the entire party.

12. Weapons don't go by what is better or worse, higher or lower numbers.  It depends on how you want your character to play. All weapons can become ultimate weapons with stats according to what kind of weapon you chose.

13.  Cancel an ATB action at any time by pressing O.  Use any part of the ATB (doesn't have to be the whole bar) by pressing Triangle.

14. Stagger is the most important and universal strategy in the entire game.  Just remember that slow and steady wins the race.  You're not gonna be able to get the bar to fill up instantly unless you preemptive strike. Ravager x3 is a bad idea if your enemies are stronger than you. To compensate, you have to quickly switch to an Optima that has a Commando to keep the bar from going down.  Commando/Ravager x2 is actually far superior.

15. Debuffs and buffs are extremely important.  Especially late game, without them you will die when facing enemies such as Adamantaimai.  You would think that you wouldn't need any debuffs but a simple De-Protect/Shell and Weak will allow you to do significantly more damage than you would with no debuffs.  Combine debuffs with buffs to make yourself stronger and you will be doing maximum damage with highest stagger meter increases as well as maxing out the damage multiplier during stagger.

16. Skip cutscenes by pressing start then select, it's a time saver on your 2nd run through!

This is all I can think of at the moment pertaining to basic stuff, I'll post some advanced stuff although people wouldn't be ready for that for a couple weeks.

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 47 (3,184 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2205 posts

Re: Tips for success in playing FFXIII

Mar 9, 2010

excellent freakin post!!!! kudos!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 47 (3,184 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7956 posts

Mar 9, 2010

Nice post Coffee!

I'll add a tip from my Japanese experience:

Always keep an eye on the break meter and always try to max it out as often as possible. If you don't attempt to "break," a fight that's supposed to last only 1 minute will take between 5-10 minutes instead.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 47 (3,184 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
292 posts

Mar 9, 2010

Wicked Great! Thank you from Texas!!

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 47 (3,184 Views)
Wastelander
967 posts

Mar 10, 2010

As an add to #14, once you get Lightning's attack that takes full ATB, you can switch to 3x Blaster/Ravager during the attack so you can raise the break meter a bit easier. Switch back right after if you feel unsafe.

Another tip : Attacker/Commando damage scales with the break meter. If you have the break meter at 999.99% going all attacker can result in more damage. As an added bonus, if a character is attacking at the same time the break meter reaches 0 in the broken state, they will do a much harder hit that does significantly more damage. So its pretty good to go 3x Blaster/Ravager and only switch back to a healer when you really need to.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 47 (3,184 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2021 posts

Mar 12, 2010

Nice tips. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 47 (3,184 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9933 posts

Mar 12, 2010

Nice. Your post was very well said. Number 10 shall help me out when the time arrives for sure.

"Memories are forgotten, but never lost."
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 47 (3,184 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
762 posts

Mar 12, 2010

Kudos. I'm guessing an Optima is the Japanese version of Paradigm? Or is it something from later in the game? (I'm on Ch. 5)

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 47 (3,184 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
868 posts

Mar 12, 2010

triple_cloudy wrote:

Kudos. I'm guessing an Optima is the Japanese version of Paradigm? Or is it something from later in the game? (I'm on Ch. 5)

Yes that would be it!
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 47 (3,184 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2939 posts

Mar 12, 2010

coffeerox wrote:

1. Scan every enemy.  It's vital to know what the weak spots are.  In the early periods of the game, not all enemies can be staggered so if you know their weaknesses you can always beat them with raw damage.

2. Forget about upgrading weapons, they consume too much materials that you cannot grind for.  Wait as long as possible until you feel you need it.

3. Keep a good combination of optima at all times.  Know that the break/stagger meter goes up with magical attacks, and regular attacks prevent the meter from going down too fast.

4. 1 healer does not work for the latter part in the game.  Eventually you will have to do 2 Medic and 1 Sentinel setups.

5. No 1 setup works all the time.  Sometimes you need to enhance for elemental attacks, and sometimes you need to debuff the enemy.  Late game, It's all about Charlie's Angels.  You can't just pick the people you like and be successful with them.  Each character is good at something.

6. Don't skip stat boosts

7. Play from Chapter 1-11 but when you get to 11, don't get too invested in the world because you are limited to what you can do.  Instead, head straight for Mahabara Mines and grind until Crystarium is maxed.  Just beat the game and come back so the world is open to you 100%

8. Auto-Battle is good but sometimes the game needs your personal input and at times it's better than the computer's selections.

9. Switch Optima in real-time, there's a chance that they'll switch all at the same time, or have no animations whatsoever (which is good)

10. Summons are best used when the enemy is staggered.  Summon damage does not have a limit, therefore can go past 100,000 damage.  Good strategy is to stagger the enemy and summon, then skip right to the driving mode and unleash your special.

11. Summons heal the entire party.

12. Weapons don't go by what is better or worse, higher or lower numbers.  It depends on how you want your character to play. All weapons can become ultimate weapons with stats according to what kind of weapon you chose.

13.  Cancel an ATB action at any time by pressing O.  Use any part of the ATB (doesn't have to be the whole bar) by pressing Triangle.

14. Stagger is the most important and universal strategy in the entire game.  Just remember that slow and steady wins the race.  You're not gonna be able to get the bar to fill up instantly unless you preemptive strike. Ravager x3 is a bad idea if your enemies are stronger than you. To compensate, you have to quickly switch to an Optima that has a Commando to keep the bar from going down.  Commando/Ravager x2 is actually far superior.

15. Debuffs and buffs are extremely important.  Especially late game, without them you will die when facing enemies such as Adamantaimai.  You would think that you wouldn't need any debuffs but a simple De-Protect/Shell and Weak will allow you to do significantly more damage than you would with no debuffs.  Combine debuffs with buffs to make yourself stronger and you will be doing maximum damage with highest stagger meter increases as well as maxing out the damage multiplier during stagger.

This is all I can think of at the moment pertaining to basic stuff, I'll post some advanced stuff although people wouldn't be ready for that for a couple weeks.

i have some dissagreeance with you.

1. scan every enemy. you don't need to scan every enemy. your party can and its not all that important unless or on a boss or enemy that switches up its weakness. but not really "every enemy"

2. i disagree with this one as well. for a little bit of time you don't need to but there are some battles like the ending of chapter 7 where the house is beroken into the enemies drop incentive chips and pheonix downs. and all you need to do is run around the whole room and they respawn. you can earn a lot of money doing this. and you can sell some extra pheonix downs for extra gil to spend on it. its expensive but it is do-able.  sell the incentive chips (2500 gil a pop), sell some pheonix downs (500 gil a pop) and then buy passive detector and then buy some monster parts from the shop. get x2 experiance and you will be level your equipment up fast.

3 i agree with.

4. not that far to comment on.

5. can't comment on but usually one party in every rpg has worked for me except where you need to split of course.

6 completely agree with.

7 what the hell do you mean after you beat the game? do you save right before you beat it and then beat it. but after doing so reload right before and everythings opened? or are you talking about a new game+ where you have to redo everything but this time when you go to pulse everything is opened this time around? try to explain with out spoilers  im only on chapter 8.

8. i try to never use auto battle. its not that good. but it can spare some time setting up unless you decide to hit repeat under abilities then it becomes completely useless.

9. i have no clue in what your talking about. everytime i have a paradigm sift it always have a little cutscene. but thats always in real time. at least the part of what paradigm deck you want to use.

10. i disagree with. sure you can try that but in the long run its better to call out the summon and use up most of its sp bar then right at the end of it switch to drive mode so your gestalt meter is up as high as possible so when your in drive mode you get more time to beat the living crap out of the bad guy to potentially do more damage then 100,000.

11. is not a tip but a fact.

and the rest are fine more or less.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 47 (3,184 Views)
0 Likes