Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 03 2010
By: XrayCrisis Splicer 71 posts

To soon?

4 replies 4 views Edited Aug 3, 2010

I am on chapter 11 at the moment (Just done the first mark misson) and I was just wondering should I be upgrading weapons and accessories by now or is it still to soon? Should I wait till I have finished chapter 13 and the story mode?

Also just wondering for the 'L'Cie Paragon' trophy do you need to make a note of what marks you have got 5 stars on and that one you have not your self or can you look this info up in game, in the datalog may be?

Thank for any help/advice you can give.

Platinum/100%'s:

After Burner Climax, Burnout Paradise, Cuboid, Dead Space, Dead Space Extraction, Dead Space Ignition, Detuned, EyePet, Final Fantasy 13, Linger In Shadows, Little Big Planet, Sega Mega Drive Collection, Terminator Salvation, Tomb Raider: Underworld, Trine, Trivial Pursuit, Wanted, Wolverine.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (4 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12015 posts

Re: To soon?

Aug 3, 2010

Depends on your preference. I started upgrading weapons the second the option appeared

As for missions, go to your map and hit Square. It will give you a mission list where you can see what you've completed and what rank you got.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (4 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2050 posts

Aug 3, 2010
Personally, I didn't upgrade weapons or accessories until the beginning of Chapter 11 (when I arrived at Gran Pulse...that's 11, right? Maybe not...), spending the roughly one million gil I had accumulated up to that point when I got there. I didn't see the need for it until then, nor did I take the time to properly understand the experience system (because, once more, I had no need).

But as soon as Chapter 11 opened up, I spent about an hour or two learning about the system and realizing the benefits to it, as well as using the time to find out what weapon were best for my main characters. The weapon upgrades were specifically beneficial, but it is true that, in regards to accessories, there were only a few that would've been helpful to have upgraded throughout the first 11 chapters anyways (mainly because many are for specific situations and others kept getting replaced by better ones at a high rate).

That being said, Chapters 12 and 13 are, if I remember, at least a bit difficult (if you haven't been grinding, which you shouldn't be, unless you grinded some Gil at mission 24), so upgrading weapons can definitely help you - even if you're not having trouble, you can breeze through things more quickly.

Here are some basics; "organic" components add little experience, but enough of them gives you an experience multiplier (which maxes out at "x3"). After you get to x3, you want to use "mechanical" components (the ones with a little screw by their name) to get the most experience; using them, however, drives the multiplier down, so you want to use as large a batch of mechanical components as possible, so you don't then have to keep adding organic compounds at a high rate after driving down the multiplier. And use the experience calculator in the paragraph below. Also, you don't ever really want to buy transmutation catalysts. Be frugal with your Gil. Don't upgrade things needlessly (Until way later when you're going for "Treasure Hunter" trophy, if you so choose).

I'll point you to some guides I used, if you'd like: Equipment Upgrade Guide (Gamefaqs), Upgrade/Dismantle Guide. Like I said, I spent a good few hours just reading up on the systems, comparing weapons, etc. Also, those two guides work great in conjunction with THIS, which is an experience calculator you can use to know precisely how much experience you need to max out items (so you don't needlessly waste experience/items, because Gil is hard to come by!)

As for the mission list, refer to the poster above me. Just press "square" on the map screen to bring up missions, and hit "right" on the d-pad to get more information on the marks (what rating you got, etc).

Spoony Bard

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (4 Views)
Sackboy
544 posts

Aug 4, 2010

@ResidentZoidberg: i'm definitely keeping this handy.  My friend told me not to upgrade until Chapter 9 or 10, but he wasn't exactly sure which chapter to upgrade at.  In fact, kudos

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

Aug 4, 2010

I think I wil give it a go. I have not been farming component on my way through the game so I was just wondering is there any good places to farm for components in the archylte steppe area, or maybe a little bit further into chapter 11. I have a pretty low level team at the moment (Level 3) and have been unable to kill the bahemoth king yet so please don't suggest him. lol.

Thanks again for any help you can give.

Platinum/100%'s:

After Burner Climax, Burnout Paradise, Cuboid, Dead Space, Dead Space Extraction, Dead Space Ignition, Detuned, EyePet, Final Fantasy 13, Linger In Shadows, Little Big Planet, Sega Mega Drive Collection, Terminator Salvation, Tomb Raider: Underworld, Trine, Trivial Pursuit, Wanted, Wolverine.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (4 Views)
0 Likes