Jan 15 2010
By: NolanForMayor Lombax Warrior 108 posts

Why the FFVII comparisons?

8 replies 13 views Edited Jan 15, 2010

Just saw the newest trailer and i must say, my hope is restored, but one little thing is bugging me. Why do 1 out of 3 people, that comment or i hear from, say that it is just like FFVII? I mean, i know that some people think it is the best, even though i thought it was a let down, albeit a little one, because of all the hype and prestige that it had, but STILL i cannot see the similarities. Someone plz explain to me why some people thinks it looks identical, so much to the point that they hate on it?

Just a heads up, FFXII is one of my favs and you don't like it, then too bad.  

nolanformayor
Message 1 of 9 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
745 posts

Re: Why the FFVII comparisons?

Jan 15, 2010
 Myself personally find no similarities in the two all of the games are singular and have nothing in common with one another other than the fact that they share the same title and basic structure. I believe this generation has lost the concept of enjoing a game and now just brood over the short comings no matter how small or big they are. Final Fantasy for me has always been about one thing. A story that takes a hold of you and brings you into its world.     
 photo Ssig1.jpg
Message 2 of 9 (13 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11212 posts

Jan 15, 2010

NolanForMayor wrote: 

Why do 1 out of 3 people, that comment or i hear from, say that it is just like FFVII?

I'm not entirely sure but I think the bulk of the comparisons stem from a comment made by one of lead producers. Something about his being asked to create a female version of Cloud, so to speak, and we end up with Lightning. I'm guessing it has something to do with the personality more than anything.

Message 3 of 9 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3627 posts

Jan 15, 2010

Lightning = female Cloud

I found Cloud to be very boring and un-inspiring....

So I know that'll be a big letdown when it comes to Lightning

Ooooh! 'nother FFXII fan!

FFXII is hands down my 2nd fave FF of all time

Photobucket
Message 4 of 9 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Jan 16, 2010

Subaru_LionKeep wrote:
 Myself personally find no similarities in the two all of the games are singular and have nothing in common with one another other than the fact that they share the same title and basic structure. I believe this generation has lost the concept of enjoing a game and now just brood over the short comings no matter how small or big they are. Final Fantasy for me has always been about one thing. A story that takes a hold of you and brings you into its world.     

That is a very wise thing thing to say and i completely agree. I find that they redo old ideas in a new way, which is what everyone does, but some people just stop trying to see the new and only say that it is a cheap fake. I try to enjoy games for what they are and if they hav flaws, i don't focus on them if the overall game is good. And a gripping story is always a firm solid base to start on.

nolanformayor
Message 5 of 9 (13 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1354 posts

Jan 16, 2010

Dude there are 2 main reasons why FFXIII is often compared to FFVII, the first is that, yes, Lightning is designed to look like a female version of Cloud. But it's purely asthetic so her personality is probably quite different. THe other reason is that the development team making FFXIII is the same team that made FFVII. as far as story parallels there may be some but untill I play the game I can't really commment on them.

Message 6 of 9 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
963 posts

Jan 17, 2010

I think the statement of "Cloud = female Lightning" only refers to the appearance of character design, or more like 'Lightning's look is inspired by Cloud' 

It has nothing to do with Lightning's personally or style.

Playing: Demon's Souls, FF13, Fat Princess

Get your Portable ID!
Message 7 of 9 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1936 posts

Jan 17, 2010

Sazh = Barret

Sugar and Rainbows!

Message 8 of 9 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5541 posts

Jan 17, 2010
I don't get it. Didn't FF XIII compared with FF X? The team should be the same. The same of FF VII as well? Or am I wrong?
----
- I'm not a Playstation fanboy. I'm a Micro$oft hater. It's different.
Message 9 of 9 (13 Views)
0 Likes