Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 05 2010
By: zerosixty9 Hekseville Citizen 443 posts
Accepted Solution

why not this game on psn?

16 replies 991 views Edited Apr 5, 2010

I would definatly be interested in downloading this game if it was on psn. I think it would bring back great memories with the game and definatly give me a game thats worth playing in my eyes. I have bought and played through the games that i have considered worth buying and i would just like this game that i could spend endless hours playing back in my hands. I thought the community was great along with the people and the crowd it attracted. Whats your thoughts on this game being sent to psn? Is the game to old for it to make a come back before final fantasy 14?

Photobucket

I dont criticize slant six for their ideas i listen to them! PSN: zerosixty9
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 17 (991 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3498 posts

Re: why not this game on psn?

Apr 5, 2010

The game is somewhere between 5gb and 10 gb to download... also FFXI is unsupported for the PS3 and since FFXIV comes out later this year there isnt much of a point to re release FFXI on the PS3 even through PSN. 

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 17 (991 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5417 posts

Apr 6, 2010
FFXI isn't on PSN because it's a PS2 game, many PS3s available now aren't compatible with PS2 games, and there are no options for downloadable PS2 games on the PS3. Only three models of PS3 can play this game, and they'e all discontinued.

Also, the game takes about 4.2 GB of actual hard drive space, but reserves an 8 GB partition, and Sony has a limit on how large a downloadable game can be on their store. Remember, Sony likes to take features away from their consoles with later models. The latest PS3 firmware update just took away features, it added nothing new, and would disable online content if you didn't upgrade to it. Later PS3 models lost the ability to run Linux and PS2 games. Later PS2 models lost plugins and compatability with this game. Later PS1 models lost plugins.
My PlayStation2 HDD guide.: http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.32

PS2 Model Number and Importing Guide
PS2 HDD Forum (archived)
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 17 (991 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2062 posts

Apr 7, 2010

bungiefan wrote:
FFXI isn't on PSN because it's a PS2 game, many PS3s available now aren't compatible with PS2 games, and there are no options for downloadable PS2 games on the PS3. Only three models of PS3 can play this game, and they'e all discontinued.

Also, the game takes about 4.2 GB of actual hard drive space, but reserves an 8 GB partition, and Sony has a limit on how large a downloadable game can be on their store. Remember, Sony likes to take features away from their consoles with later models. The latest PS3 firmware update just took away features, it added nothing new, and would disable online content if you didn't upgrade to it. Later PS3 models lost the ability to run Linux and PS2 games. Later PS2 models lost plugins and compatability with this game. Later PS1 models lost plugins.

lol...

Anyways, you got one thing right. FFXI is a PS2 game and most PS3's can't run it.

The download size isn't an issue though. Record of Agarest War is coming out late this month and it is a 10 GB download, so obviously it is allowed by Sony.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 17 (991 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
636 posts

Jul 28, 2010

Its on the 360, so i dont see why not.

If it wasnt for XIV being around the corner I would care a little more. But since its almost here, I just had to let go. You should do the same lol.

angel-94.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 17 (991 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
707 posts

Aug 1, 2010

*edit* oops wrong thread my bad dawg

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 17 (991 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
41471 posts

Nov 15, 2010

colstripcapn wrote:

bungiefan wrote:

lol...

Anyways, you got one thing right. FFXI is a PS2 game and most PS3's can't run it.

The download size isn't an issue though. Record of Agarest War is coming out late this month and it is a 10 GB download, so obviously it is allowed by Sony.

the dev probably forked over some cash for it to reside on PSN. 

(((())))))))))))))))))==================================-----
*New Game* Infinite Undiscovery
*New DVD* Protest The Hero
*New CD* System Divide - The Conscious Sedation

(((())))))))))))))))))==================================-----
LoTGD ~!~ RBN ~!~ got xheevos? ~!~ XNA Club ~!~ ** PS Past #1** ~!~ twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 17 (991 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2062 posts

Nov 16, 2010

iruhlman wrote:

colstripcapn wrote:

bungiefan wrote:

lol...

the dev probably forked over some cash for it to reside on PSN. 

In a round about fashion sure. They have to pay for bandwidth, the bigger the game, the larger the bandwidth cost.

Anyways, these days you can also buy full PS3 games off the PSN (not many, but some) so file size really isn't an issue where Sony is concerned.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 17 (991 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Nov 26, 2010
Well, at one time there was going to be a PS3 version of FF11. But someone quit and talks ceased for making it. I saw this in an article before a several months ago. Maybe if enough people asked they might *try* to make it again.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 17 (991 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Jun 12, 2011

Well, I wil not give up on having Square-Enix transfer FFXI from the PS2 to PS3. I will pay for the game in full no matter how much it'll cost at the PSN Store with the same applies to its expansions right up to Abyssea Edition. <-- Though this would change in the future with another expansion and/or Vana'Diel Collection 20xx.

I want to play FFXI on my fat PS3, but no PS2 compatibility notwithstanding, I still want Sony to allow PS2 games to be played on all PS3s, including those without PS2 support.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 17 (991 Views)
0 Likes