Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Hekseville Citizen
358 posts

Re: why not this game on psn?

Jun 12, 2011

How do I put my ID on my posts? Thanks for any and all help.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 17 (781 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5417 posts

Jun 13, 2011

To play PS2 games on PS3s now, all those games would have to be recoded, since the required hardware to support the software has been removed, and likely the system doesn't have enough processing power to be able to do live software-only emulation of the PS2. SE has already stated they are not going to recode FFXI again to move it to another platform, or upgrade it to use a higher version of DirectX on Windows, since it would be similar to coding a new game, and so they'd rather put out a fresh new game. They've already announced yet another MMO on top of FFXIV, and FFXIV is still being ported to PS3. FFXI only has a small development team remaining, and it's not the people that originally coded it. They're not going to recode the game when they can't even fix some of the issues existing in the game at this time.

My PlayStation2 HDD guide.: http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.32

PS2 Model Number and Importing Guide
PS2 HDD Forum (archived)
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 17 (781 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 30, 2012
Well theres next expansion is in works... but some regions aint etting ps2 yet japan is getting for their ps2.... (wish they gonna release NA which iznt listed...)
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 17 (780 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5417 posts

Jul 21, 2012
Europe got no PS2 version whatsoever, so they don't get any PS2 expansions. NA PS2 HDD was only produced for 9 months, while JP HDD was produced for almost 10 years. It's hard to get new NA players, and those that are capable are actually lost to attrition by failing PS2s and HDDs that are needed to run the game. They also did a survey last year to ask what platform each players used, and apparently the numbers were low for PS2 outside of Japan.

Doing an American disc print run runs into economy of scale. It costs more per unit to produce a small run than a large run. The larger the production run, the cheaper each copy of the game is. PS2 doesn't support regionless discs, so they have to do a seperate procution run for each region of the game, and they have to certify it with the local ratins system, which costs money for each submission. Also, unsold discs will cost them for distribution, if any are leftover. Japan is a physically smaller region for distribution, compared to USA/Canada, and they have a larger population with the equipment. It makes sense not to produce American discs.

However, I'm working on a way to transplant the installed files from a JP PS2 HDD to an NA one, so hopefully a file check will finish expansion installation (I own a PS2 from both regions with FFXI installed), as there is a program to open the partitions, read the files/folders inside, and copy them between the HDD and a USB flash drive.
My PlayStation2 HDD guide.: http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.32

PS2 Model Number and Importing Guide
PS2 HDD Forum (archived)
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 17 (765 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1135 posts

Sep 6, 2012

Would be awesome! :smileyhappy:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like waffles
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 17 (746 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
38 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 17, 2012

Just wait for FF XIV. It's almost here.

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 17 (577 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 26, 2013

Although most people have moved on, here's one of the articles mentioning the cancellation of XI on the PS3:

http://www.1up.com/news/square-enix-interested-final-fantasy

Quoting from the article:

"Initially we were in talks with a representative from Sony [to achieve this], but it appears that that person quit," said FFXI producer Hiromichi Tanaka, inducing laughter from the rest of the team. Tanaka also explained why it's a little more complicated to make the PS2 version work than, say, simply releasing some sort of patch or update for the PS3. "[Current] PS3s don't have PS3-side PS2 emulation, and it doesn't look like Sony has any plans to address that issue. For that kind of thing to even be conceivable, it would have to be on a disc. Digital downloads wouldn't work for this. The disc has to be in the system for the emulator to work." 

Interestingly enough, Square also mentioned a Vita port, but that too got cancelled:

http://gamerescape.com/2012/06/23/final-fantasy-xi-not-coming-to-psvita-after-all/

Cheers,

Paul

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 17 (339 Views)
0 Likes