PlayStation MVP
4421 posts

Re: PlayStation Plus FAQ

[ Edited ]
May 13, 2013

Figroti wrote:

I've been wondering lately, how is it that PS+ is able to offer free games? I understand that we pay monthly for the service, but I'd like a little mroe depth in how the publishers and developers make money from the free games that Playstation offers to us?

I'm not looking for exact ratio, as I'm sure that information is confidential, I just am curious as to how the developers are compensated and if the ratio is fair and profitable for them.

To be brutally honest about it, the games are merely "rented" so long as the Subscription is active.

Most titles offered, are former top sellers, which most people have already.  I do say most, as I am in the group of those who subscribe, who may not buy as many games.  For me, it is all bonus material.  I get great games to play for free, and I also get outstanding content to go with some I may have paid for.

Regardless of whether you own the game for a particular Month already, the odds you will regain the money spent on the subscription over the year is high.

The developers, in this case have often made a large margin on the games already, and through licensing agreements with Sony, I am sure they get a small percentage of the PLUS revenues.

Of course this is a simple explanation.  Going into the numbers would be above my knowledge, as I am not privy to any Profit information from Sony.  Rest assured, the developers are getting their take on it.

Just the same, the service is fantastic and I recommend it to everyone.  At the end of the day, I care less about what money the developers are making, and more about the titles and content I get for my money. Isn't THAT what's more important.

Anyway, just my humble opinion.

Moble

Message 121 of 550 (455 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

May 13, 2013

I've been a plus member for a while, but I feel that the developers should be compensated fairly for the games. I know they probably are compensated in some way, but I've always been curious as to just how fair it is. I know that publishers can write anything in a contract and the developers are bound to it, or choose to not publish. I'd hate for some of the PS+ freebies to screw developers out of any money that they deserve, especially for some of the titles that I really think deserve the support.

Message 122 of 550 (447 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7840 posts

May 14, 2013

Figroti wrote:

I've been a plus member for a while, but I feel that the developers should be compensated fairly for the games. I know they probably are compensated in some way, but I've always been curious as to just how fair it is. I know that publishers can write anything in a contract and the developers are bound to it, or choose to not publish. I'd hate for some of the PS+ freebies to screw developers out of any money that they deserve, especially for some of the titles that I really think deserve the support.

No game goes up for free on PS+ without the permission of the Devs first. Now I don't really know how the Devs are compensated, but I doubt that they'd accept a game for PS+ if the compensation wasn't fair.

Message 123 of 550 (445 Views)
MVP Support
5427 posts

May 14, 2013

Figroti wrote:

I haven't seen any specific information, but you may be interested in this recent article:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/05/10/developers-on-playstation-plus-the-revenue-was-worthw...

Message 124 of 550 (440 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4421 posts

May 14, 2013

JERM7 wrote:

Figroti wrote:

I haven't seen any specific information, but you may be interested in this recent article:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/05/10/developers-on-playstation-plus-the-revenue-was-worthw...

Great link JERM.  Puts a nice Dev perspective on it.  As I have said as well, I am sure games do not make it onto PLUS, without some upside to the Devs.

Moble

Message 125 of 550 (432 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

May 14, 2013
Awesome link! Thanks a lot, I've been extremely curious as to if it actually generated a profit for the devs. I'm glad to see that it has actually been of a benefit to some devs.
Message 126 of 550 (415 Views)
First Son
3 posts

May 15, 2013
Ok I purchase the r&b t shirt that comes with the r&b station why don't I have the station
Message 127 of 550 (401 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 11, 2013

Will the current Instant Game Collection that has PS3 games transfer to ps4 and be playable on ps4???

Message 128 of 550 (243 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 11, 2013
do i need to create a US psn account to join ps+?
will you guys accept overseas (non-US) credit cards?
Message 129 of 550 (233 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Voucher code

Jun 11, 2013

So i did the E3 Killzone Trivia and restarted my ps3 cause download fail for the Voucher beta code and every time i leave E3 got to start over and cant get my voucher code i dont know if others have this promblem lil help please?

Message 130 of 550 (207 Views)
0 Likes