Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 16 2009
By: DeathBear37 First Son 1 posts

Sound on ps3 menu...no sound in game mode can anyone help?

16 replies 32574 views Edited Nov 16, 2009
I'm experiencing a strange problem....when im on the ps3 menu there is sound...but when i go into cod2 or one of my downloaded games there is no sound at all..Has anyone else experience this problem? Or can anyone help?
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 17 (32,574 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Re: Sound on ps3 menu...no sound in game mode can anyone help?

Dec 8, 2009
I got exactly the same problem. Had the PS3 for over 2 years with no issues and this crazy sound problem started yesterday just after installing the patch for Modern Warfare 2. It only effects in game sound. menu and movies work fine. If I set the sound to multi-out instead of my usual Optical only, it all works fine but limitted quality Not sure what the patch changed but I don't think I can go back a version anyone found a solution???
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 17 (32,574 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 18, 2009
I'm having the same problems.  Only mine started out during the game so I tried to throw a DVD in and the audio was fine.  I then switched the sound to my bluetooth and the game sounded fine on that as well.  But then when I went to switch the sound back to the default output setting i no longer had any sound on the menu or game.  What in the hell is goin' on anyone please?  I have the 2nd generation 80GB, hasn't had any problem up until now...
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 17 (32,574 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 28, 2009

That's weird, too.  Only had a PS3 for 3 weeks.  After playing Assassins Creed II at home with an HDMI cable, had not probs.  Then bought COD2 at home and I think I downloaded the patch but I played it for 1 evening and it was fine.  Addicted to my PS3, so borught it with me to the in-laws house and tried to hhok it up to their new high def TV and I get the same problem.  There is sound on the PS3 homepage but when Assassins Creed boots up, there is no sound during the game.  I thought it was just a connection problem with their TV but will be interesting to see if there is still a problem when I get back home....

In the meantime, any suggestions.  I am a real newbie, so haven't navigated around the PS3 options yet and the only 2 cables I have are the HDMI one and the standard 3 pin one (white, yellow, red).  Will have to try another game, too, but fairly certain it will affect all games...

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 17 (32,574 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 8, 2010
I am experiencing the same issue. I have my ps3 with hdmi out to tv. Then I have fiber optic out to my home theater. I do this because I also have my cable box with hdmi out to tv and a xbox 360 hdmi out to tv. The menu has sound but the game doesn't. I also tried doing the multi output option and same result. What's weird is that the blu-ray movies work fine. I tried tiger woods pga 10 and same no sound. I also forgot to mention I have the new 250gb system. I really don't know what the hell is going on. Anyone help!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 17 (32,574 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
223 posts

Jan 8, 2010

carcrazy22 wrote:
I am experiencing the same issue. I have my ps3 with hdmi out to tv. Then I have fiber optic out to my home theater. I do this because I also have my cable box with hdmi out to tv and a xbox 360 hdmi out to tv. The menu has sound but the game doesn't. I also tried doing the multi output option and same result. What's weird is that the blu-ray movies work fine. I tried tiger woods pga 10 and same no sound. I also forgot to mention I have the new 250gb system. I really don't know what the hell is going on. Anyone help!!!

Set the Optical to send LPCM through instead of bitstream,.. no it couldn't be that easy.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 17 (32,574 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 9, 2010

So I had the same problem.  I brought Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 to a friends house, installed the update and none of the sound for my games worked.  After reading this forum, I realized that it had something to to with CODMW2 patch.  I went into my game data, deleted MW2, and now my sound works fine.  It has something to do with the MW2 patch.  So if your not to upset with losing the data for that game, delete it and try to reinstall the patch. 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 17 (32,574 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

May 12, 2010

Hello, I found a solution which made sense once I did... In sound settings go to Audio Output Settings and select HDMI (if that's how you have it connected), automatic, and save. Then under Audio Multi-Output,  turn it ON. There ya go. It's that easy. Been trying to fgure it out for months! Hope this helps you all! Playstation couldn't help me and when I was on hold I discovered this.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 17 (32,574 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

May 15, 2010

MRSMCENTIRE wrote:

Hello, I found a solution which made sense once I did... In sound settings go to Audio Output Settings and select HDMI (if that's how you have it connected), automatic, and save. Then under Audio Multi-Output,  turn it ON. There ya go. It's that easy. Been trying to fgure it out for months! Hope this helps you all! Playstation couldn't help me and when I was on hold I discovered this.

Glad that worked for you, but it did nothing for me.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 17 (32,574 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 19, 2010

Thanks MRSMCENTIRE.

As you said, your solution has resolved my problem. If the problem is from the game load, the problem is from the configuration of the PS3 system. Modifing this configuration the problem must be solved.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 17 (32,574 Views)
0 Likes