Mar 13 2013
By: jRUNgZ First Son 10 posts

After playing Hard Mode, I have to get this off my chest...

19 replies 9557 views Edited Mar 13, 2013

... this game is absolutely miserable. Let me clarify first, I'm an above average God of War fan who has played and beaten all of the previous (Ghost of Sparta being my absolute favorite). I generally start on hard mode, and perhaps after do the titan difficulty, but usually just play on hard. I find that the Hard difficulty gives the game a really nice sense of accomplishment and a need to hone your skills with the combo system. I find that if you play a decent amount of action games you owe it to yourself to play them on Hard, because Normal can ALWAYS be button mashed through, just my two cents.

Now ever since they first started talking Ascension stuff and showed some screens and video, I was extremely hyped! What they were showing looked to be the best GoW yet. Now I liked GoW 3, but I thought it could have been better. I surely thought Ascension would fix those problems. HOLY (insert four letter word) was I wrong.

I will start off by saying the game looks great, the coat of paint on everything... simply put it looks better than all of the others (I like how human Kratos looks). Even the funky "World Weapons" I thought were strange but I definitely started to like them. I thought they provided a good sense of micro management and making sure you beat them out of the enemies hands. Even the Decaying mode thing is pretty cool, definitely looks cool.

Alright, now I'm going to rip into this game because I feel I have to as God of War fan. I was SO let down that I have to voice my opinion somewhere, may as well be the official website.

First off, what HELL is going on? This has to be the stupidest sh!t I've ever seen Kratos do. Are you kidding me? GIANT SNAKES!?!? Perhaps the stupidest thing I've ever seen, I get the fact that it was grandiose and showed off the sense of scale but COME ON! To me it just seemed like they were trying to recreate the Chariot that brought the two islands together from GoWII. "Yo bro! Watch kratos TOTALLY surf down all of these snake things, WOOH DUDE RAD THAT IS SOOO SICK" no it isn't. The mechanic itself worked well, I didn't mind sliding down all that needless stuff, but it is a sign they clearly ran out of ideas... or didn't try very hard. 

I'm getting WAY off topic. Sorry, I just had to quickly rant about that... snakes good lord -  "Snakes on a train" - achievement

Okay, I think most of us can agree that Kratos has almost done all he needs to do in his journey. Injecting even more stuff is kind of a gamble if you want to keep his canon in tact. Everything Ascension brings to the table seemed to me that it started like this "OOHH DUDE YEAH, that would be SWEET! Let's just toss it in! YEAH SNAKE TRAIN! WOOO more more! Alright, Prison rubiks cube? SH!T yeah! Never let it end!" meanwhile none of this contributes to Kratos as a character who has gone through quite a bit. Whatever, he is just the main character we've all grown to love over the past 8 years or so.

You see where I'm going with this, now onto the combat! THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF ANY ACTION GAME

Like I said before I have no problem with the "World Weapon" thing, even the Magic is kinda cool as it is a nice change from the other GoWs, but the execution on that is a little shaky... considering it is fairly worthless in Hard Difficulty.

Now the combat system that we  know and love from the previous five games did not make the transition. I can admire their ideas to give it a little change, but I'm just going to say the rage meter is flat out stupid. Takes you 20 hits or so to build the **bleep** thing and then get hit three times and it basically goes away. Once you get hit you get locked in hit stun for a while which leads you to get rocked by every other creature on screen. (On Hard) You would have to play with FLAWLESS execution to be able to use the rage meter for longer than five seconds? Did they not even play the **bleep** game? If you try to use a dynamic style or approach to the combat you get DESTROYED! The only way I feel like I'm actually playing the game is if it is a one on one fight, which I don't mind, but toss a few creatures on screen and you are boned. This leads me to my next point, the game can be completely destroyed (even on hard) If you just hold block down and grapple the enemy and toss them into any other creature. Seriously, with almost no difficulty at all you can just block, R1, O... repeat OVER AND OVER AND OVER until fight is done. Only method of play that seems to work if you want to get through the fight without getting destroyed or frustrated (just dodge when you need to against bigger creatures).

Most people are familiar with the argument over the Parry system in GoWA. And I agree, it is complete trash. It is not helpful at all. I did find that you can just block... parry R1, over and over and over too... but you may as well just do the aformentioned thing, which goes quicker.

God of War: Ascension
-Combat completely unfulfilling

-Magic poorly executed
-Parrying ruins you

-Bosses louzy (for the most part)

-Enemies lack hit stun (basically ready to hit you as soon as their hit animation is over with)

-No story

-Kratos as a character is not explored at all

+Graphics are great

+Color palette is refreshing (GoW3 was kinda dismal)

This may seem kinda spacey, but I was just so MAD after playing this game that I just had to rip on it. When I thought back on it I realized that I was just looking forward to the next check point so I could think about quitting.

Did I mention how pretty it looks?

Message 1 of 20 (9,557 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Re: After playing Hard Mode, I have to get this off my chest...

Mar 13, 2013
Omg so I'm not alone? In another post I wrote about the same exact issues of parry being useless, grabs being OP, and rage being useless as well. I just don't understand how these basic issues were carelessly overlooked. Just one playthrough on hard and the flaws are exposed. This aggravates me to no end because had the parry system stayed based on reaction and not L1 + X, most of the other issues would be more manageable. People might say just play on normal but I'm NOT trying to play a button masher. These systems work against one another when multiple enemies are on the screen which is more often than not. I just hope that they look into these issues and fix the parrying. This game, as is, is broken! And I'm no novice. I have the platinum for GoW3.
Message 2 of 20 (9,513 Views)
Highlighted
Splicer
84 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 13, 2013

I hate to say this as a MASSIVE GoW fan, but I agree with most of what you said... I don't have the game, but judging from video walkthroughs:

- The rage mode is pretty bad compared to previous titles for the reasons you stated

- Parry sucks
- The whole snake thing seemed cool to me at least, its something new
- The magic looks awesome to me
- The only boss fights that impressed me to GoW 3 standards were Pollux and the final boss
- Not much story (my favourite component of GoW games)

- Music felt like it was losing the GoW theme sometimes, but there were some really good soundtracks (like "Madness from the Fury Queen" and "The Final Offer")
- Kratos as a character could have been explored more
- Amazing graphics and colour
- Unexpected button prompts, resulting in death
- Glitches and audio issues. Just these alone can ruin your whole SP experience
- Multiplayer appears to be very fun, and sadly I'll probably enjoy this more than SP

Message 3 of 20 (9,508 Views)
First Son
10 posts

Mar 13, 2013

I'm glad to hear that there are others out there. I was reading reviews for the game before playing it, which I shouldn't have done... but I admit I was just too excited for GoWA. When they started to mention that it fell short I simply went into denial mode thinking "Nah, they are just jaded" or something like that. I was bummed out to find out that it was way worse than they said.

Now I didn't play the game on Normal, perhaps it is better? Perhaps you ACTUALLY get to use the fighting system without being pusnished for doing so? I just imagine there is almost no challenge in it...

... I guess I didn't see the main challenge in hard being the actual system of the game instead. Grrr

And I will say this about the snakes. It was defintely something different, I will give them that... but... did it not just appear to be absolute crazyness to anyone? Using a giant snake as a subway would've been neat and cool, but three to basically push up a big tower? I just think they didn't give enough thought to this game, but they definitely put alot of resources into making it happen (hence why it looks so darn good!)

I'm basically a fanboy saying this "WHY!?!?I JUST WANT TO LOVE YOU"

Message 4 of 20 (9,409 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
95 posts

Mar 13, 2013

The parry system is the thing that **bleep** me off the most. After all, the DEVs said they wanted to make SP and MP two completely different games, 2 different directions, why on earth did they make this crossover?! Not to mention, you don't go changing a good thing, and the guard tap from the golden fleece/Apollo shield was a good effin thing for 3 games! (I forget if GoS had the tap parry, its been a while since I've played that one)

the rage is the other thing that pisses me off. It is WAY too difficult to build up and WAY too easy to loose, especially considering you kind of need it to do any good moves at all

(actually that logic never really made since to me: "make the usual moves suck **bleep** so that IF they do well, they can MAYBE unlock the good moves for a few seconds, and then blow it all on an R3+L3 release" - **bleep**?)

finally, I'm disappointed in the elemental system: there are 4 of them, the magic (the most important move) is the LAST to be unlocked, and I didn't notice too much difference between them, it kind of felt like it didn't matter which one I used

I think I'm off to make another thread about these exact complaints. maybe we can annoy them into patching in the old parry system 

Message 5 of 20 (9,356 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Mar 13, 2013

Here here! I want to basically complain enough so some of Sony Santa Monica realizes that this isn't acceptable. You are totaly right about the magic too, **bleep** You get the basic magic blast at the end? When the combat system falters as much as it does what do they think the players are going to do... experiment to make it all work? Seriously, what went wrong...

Message 6 of 20 (9,324 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
679 posts

Mar 13, 2013
I thought I was the only one noticing the enemy's run through Kratos attacks??? The grunts go through Kratos attacks are you serious? They also hit him so hard he gets stunned and pushed against the wall? They made Kratos a joke in this game and I don't like it.
Message 7 of 20 (9,305 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
145 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 13, 2013

So should they have left it as-is, resting on its laurels?  Then people would've bitched that nothing changed or improved.  I had a feeling any decent size change in this series was just going to set some people off lol.  

I'm a pretty big fan too.  Beat all the games on Hard, beat 3 on Chaos and Platinumed it, doing a NUR+ run in the original, and hopefully will have time soon to beat all the games on highest difficulty and Platinum them all as well.

I'm only just past the first Chimera fight but in reference to OP's points:

The snake thing was different, borderline cheesy even, but it didn't seem to bother me that badly.  

Combat is deeper and more varied than ever before.  Grapples are overpowered yes, but air throws were even moreso in all the other games.  With lots of enemies (including ones that can't be grappled) you are also still more vulnerable as well.  I'd say it's also less overpowered than the swinging throw from 1, which can take out far more enemies in one use than any grapple>throw.  

The rage meter is much more fun to use because it doesn't take two or more chapters to build up anymore only to be used up in less than 10 seconds.  You can build it up in any fight and keep using it as long as you don't get hit.  Nothing wrong with that.  Makes the game more fun and challenging.   It's also kind've a contradiction to say the game is so easy spamming R1 O but then go on to complain about having to avoid being hit to keep Rage going.  

Parry isn't ruined.  Not very difficult to hit one extra button.  It works just as well in combat other than that.  

All in all the game so far on Hard is about as difficult as any of the others.  Not much story yet but there were also plenty of dry parts in the other games.  I personally don't understand all the flack this game is getting in contrast to any of the others.  Going to conclude it's by and large subjective knee-jerk, whitewash reactions to changing things.  I'm going through the game objectively and having just as much fun as ever.  

My biggest complaints so far:

Hit and miss audio, which will hopefully be patched.  When it's there, it's the best in the series, but sound effects fade out for seemingly no reason here and there. 

Music is overall too subdued so far.  Very little "epicness" feel to it, especially next to 3.  

Not many puzzles yet.  

Enemy variety could be better so far.

Platforming is a little too cookie cutter still, but overall movement is improved.  

Message 8 of 20 (9,302 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
323 posts

Mar 14, 2013

It took a bit longer than I expected to beat...even on normal thanks to that freaking trials thing...had to spam just to beat it...anybody had a hard time with the trails? I'm going back for the hard trophy.

Message 9 of 20 (9,283 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
859 posts

Mar 14, 2013

I agree with c3RAMburger. The game is not that bad. I found myself astonished by everything I've seen so far, the graphics are beautiful (even though I'm using a standard-definition tv). The combat is fresh anad new, I never found myself disappointed by any aspect of the game. Admittedly, I was getting my **bleep** kicked later on in the game whenever the grunts got a little stronger and I wasn't able to grapple them right away. What's wrong with the mechanical snakes anyway? I liked riding around on a huge, moving environment and then sliding down all the icy paths! I can't wait to venture further into the campaign and experiment with some more of the puzzles, and aquire the Gem of Uroborus! The MP is awesome as well. I really like this game, and my Kratos Statue! Smiley Happy

Erebus..jpg
Message 10 of 20 (9,282 Views)
0 Likes