Mar 18 2013
By: tyuiop4856 First Son 23 posts

Mediocre Feel

11 replies 362 views Edited Mar 18, 2013

Ok so I'm a die-hard God of War fanboy. I pre-ordered this game as soon as they announced the game. But after playin it, there's definitely something lacking. There was  air of mediocrity surrounding the game. I think think it was a good game, but God of War  quality we expect. Now yes the story was weak but so were the PSP ones but I still thought those were amazing. Then bame it hit me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nplCABR24CY  that is the boss fight with Pollux and Castor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLv8Wj_M10g  this is the boss fight with Hercules from God of war 3.

Notice the main difference? THE MUSIC. The music in Ascension was so low and it wasn't because of the audio glitches people have been complaining about (I never even noticed them because the sound was too low to begin with). The music in all the otehr games were loud and epic and made the games feel awesome but Ascension, they just put the music in the back and for me made the game feel more mediocre than it really is.

Message 1 of 12 (362 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11800 posts

Re: Mediocre Feel

Mar 18, 2013

^i dont mean to bash tyler bates........but hes got nothing on gideon or jeffrey.....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 12 (355 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Mar 18, 2013
Thats unfortunately true. God of war 3s musice was the thing that gave me shivers. Ascensions music just seems there nd makes the whole game feel bland
Message 3 of 12 (344 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11800 posts

Mar 18, 2013

I've got two things to say abt Gow music

Poseidon's Wrath by Gerard Marino

Brothers of Blood (i think thts the name) by Cris Velasco

nuf said

Message 4 of 12 (337 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Mar 18, 2013
I agree. This game just felt really "short" to me, both in length and in features. There are numerous things that were changed for the worse, and other things that were just missing and made it seem like the game was really designed for the PSP and therefore had very little going for it. Below are the issues I have with this version:

1 - The music is indeed almost absent from the game. There is no "amped up" grand theme being played while you are trekking around looking for the next task.

2 - Far too many platforming areas and not nearly enough combat. The bulk of my deaths were from the sliding and QTE Action sequences that seemed to fill up the game, not because of difficult battles. I always hated sections that just required you to slide down an area and move quickly in order to avoid instant death. Things like the chain sections in GoW III, or the trek across the bridge in what I believe was GoW II where you had to press the button at the right time and move at the right moment in order to avoid death. In this game, there is one of those long sections every other "chapter" it seems.

3 - Lack of variety in the enemies. We seemed to only have a handful of enemies in the game and most of the game was spent traversing the platforming sections without any real battles to worry about. When there were battles, they just seemed to be like they were plopped in there for the heck of it and not with any real reason.

4 - The parry system. Here's where we get into the multiplayer being forced into the series causing problems with the singleplayer. In order to make things "easier" for the multiplayer aspect they copied over the same parry system. It just flat out doesn't feel right in the singleplayer.

5 - Removing the ability to save the game. They had this done beautifully and perfectly in all other games in the series, but borked it for this one. You are no longer able to make multiple saves for the game and have to rely on the buggy game code to remember to autosave for you. If your profile gets corrupted, you are completely S.O.L. as there is nothing you can do but completely start over. This was a horrible design choice by the developers and I would love to hear their explanation as for why they think this idiotic system is better than the existing one.

6 - Lack of narration. All other games had a pretty good balance of narration which would flesh out the story mode in the game and give some good detail about where you were and what you were doing. Whether it was the off-screen narrator, or on-screen NPC interactions, you had a good idea of where you were, why you were there, and what you were doing. In this game, they jump around with present time, two weeks ago, present time, three weeks ago, present time, etc. etc. After a while, you soon lose track of where exactly you are and why the heck you are even there. Now I don't want to be hand-held and given the story like it's a children's bedtime story, but I'd like to have an idea on where in the Greek pantheon I am. As the furies had the ability to use illusions to trick Kratos, did all of the story take place in the prison of the damned? Where was this prison located? There just wasn't any real tie into real Greek locations like the other three games had.

7 - The game was very short. I'm sorry, but this had the length of the story that I would have expected if this was on the PSP, not the PS3. I expected to play this game for more than just a couple of days before I had beaten it. So much time was spent just walking around in areas where no enemies existed that it made the game feel empty and even shorter. Throw in the incredibly lackluster musical score for the game, and it just felt let down.

8 - Nixing the "mini-game". This one didn't really bother me a great deal as I don't play GoW to assuage my sexual desires, but I did notice that it was missing from the game and it is a feature that has been in every single GoW game since the beginning. Yes, at the beginning of the game there's the room with all the ladies in there, but there is no interactive "game" like we've seen in each of the other games. Made it feel like the game itself had something missing from it.

9 - No Challenges of the gods/titans/olympus/etc. in the game. While I generally struggle mightily with these things and don't usually complete them, their absence, like the sex mini-game, is noticeable as it's a feature that has been present in every single GoW game ever made.

Sadly, I think that the focus on shoe-horning multiplayer into a singleplayer only series resulted in a lot of these deficiencies and overall mediocrity of the game. After playing this game, and knowing that multiplayer is likely to be included in any future game in the series, I have no good expectations at all about any further God of War games. Smiley Sad
Message 5 of 12 (320 Views)
Last Guardian
11800 posts

Mar 18, 2013

^i can name another thing almost as bad as the lack of epic music.......there is no fricking combat arena -_-

Message 6 of 12 (317 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5836 posts

Mar 27, 2013
Durga: >almost absent
When it is playing, it is silent by design and too quiet. Also, it does nothing for me. Even music for derping about in GoW1 was a good listen.

>too much platforming
And it was useless platforming that lacked combat or challenge. One rope (no combat). Lots of walls, but they're all point-to-point (not free-form with combat) *no ceilings*. No beams. Two small swim sections with no puzzles, no chests, no hidden areas (more chests and optional fights), etc. GoS and GoW1 are better models for water sections. The sliding of GoS was made even more pervasive and boring. Not much of any real jump platforming. GoW1 had plenty of that. They're too far removed from GoW1 in general. The platforming they have is crap, so it is hard to stomach. I'd rather it wasn't there.

>not nearly enough combat
Most especially with interesting foe mixes and interesting places to fight (with interesting tools). Lots of bland scenarios with the same trash mobs.

>QTEs
More than usual and used less effectively.

>GoWII bridge
That's pretty easy, it is over with quickly and happens just the one time. As you note, GoW:A keeps pulling this crap. Once is enough. More than enough. Stop.

>lack of enemy variety
Talos, Satyr Grunts, Parasites, Harpies, Manticore Spawn, etc. Very pervasive. Became very boring, very quickly. They didn't port nearly enough of GoWIII's beasts into this to vary things up. Not remotely enough.

>parry
I'll not go into it again after the last time a few hours ago. Same for rage.

>savepoint
A hideous change. GoWIII was praised for its system and this one takes that away.

>their explanation
Something about Chapter Select might be invoked. Not sure why, but that's what I'd expect.

>narration
It was there, but didn't do anything for me (just like the story that did nothing with the potential of the material and time it had to work with).

>jump around
I loathed this. Once right at the start is more than enough. Not having us gaining abilities and changing 'times' while keeping what we get (story confusion aside).

>where
Presumably Tartarus (which is looking awfully beautiful since GoWIII's wasteland and CoO's damp, dark, gloomy cave).

>very short
If it were good, this would be excusable. Also, if the length wasn't owed to filthy navigation and puzzles with trash mob respawn filler and other such trickery. Cutscenes and visual cues...

>areas with no foes
Like a handheld entry.

>sex mini-game
A tradition lost. At least Boat Captain got a mention, but it wasn't a cameo. We were even at a damned Harbor. Might have been comical if he were on the boat that took us to Delos only to get crushed by Ally (he survives). "You again!" - Boat Captain

>something missing
Lots. We don't kill any innocents. We don't sacrifice any or even beasts in a brutal fashion. We do 'burn' some for an elevator at least. No murder puzzles at all. The closest to it was with the Martyr. Kratos feels OC. I can even make him walk backwards (something they kept droning on about how he would never do that as part of his character). This besides now making upskirting Kratos a highlight of this entry (twice).

>no 'Challenges'
No f***ing 'Arena' either. The Extras videos? Crap that is already online. Nothing about dropped material (a tradition). Costumes? MP champion with MP sets...and not even all of them. Why not Kratos in them? Why do they not have special stats? Why is Chapter Select so limited? Why is NG+ so limited? Why have an artifact for 10x EXP when you have nothing to spend it on (forced MAX upgrades)? How hard would it have been to put Kratos into their silly 'Trial of the Gods' to run around to solo the trash mobs? Not. Very. Why just time attack anyway? Why not survival and other modes? Why not a Temple of the Gods with high EXP costs to unlock worthwhile crap (helps make use of the EXP we'll have and nothing to spend it on). Artemis could have been the Gravedigger (GoS) of this entry for the Arena even if I hated the design they were going with. Why didn't the hidden message reward with a massive EXP fountain? Why weren't there UBER chests to find?

The list of complaints could go on and on. Especially with combat design.

>MP is to blame
You better believe it. This was the expected outcome (maybe not bringing it down this low, but low, yeah).

>likely to not be going away
Not even to be blamed for the poor sales or franchise damage. Even if it is, they're not smart enough to stop and apologize for their deliberate disregard of consumer (fan) desire.

>no good expectations for the future
Nor should you.

Poseidon: >no Arena
Right you are. A particularly offensive failing for me especially. It's like they were actively looking for ways to **bleep** me off.
Message 7 of 12 (243 Views)
Last Guardian
11800 posts

Mar 27, 2013

^I loved combat arena. There was no reason to nix it Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 12 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5836 posts

Mar 27, 2013
Same for Challenges and so much more.
Message 9 of 12 (149 Views)
Fender Bender
2926 posts

Mar 27, 2013
@Jdurg - Totally agree. As far as locations go, the timeline seemed to have him in Kirra first, then Delphi, then Kirra again, then Delos, then the Prison of the Damned, then his house (presumably in/near Sparta). the PotD should have been in Tartarus....but look down when you're climbing around on Aegeaon. There seems to be trees and other greenery. I think there was even a river/waterfall somewhere. If that was Tartarus, it looked far too peaceful. But they could always say that was an illusion of the Furies or some such BS cop-out.

Hades vs Kratos on Make A Gif
make animated gifs like this at MakeAGif
Message 10 of 12 (145 Views)
0 Likes