Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fender Bender
4057 posts

Re: Monsters of Ascension - The Manticore (new video)

Feb 1, 2013

GodModeGOD wrote:

I wasn't crazy about the Manticore's all dark design (red is more appropriate), but that's something that can be overlooked. However, the final build's face is ridiculous. Barney the Dinosaur, Skylanders, etc. sort of ridiculous.

0:26 Shows clearly how the face differs from the concept art approved of by majority (into this face that the majority are put off by).

The features were made larger and goofier in the final model. Bigger teeth, bigger mandible, smaller maxilla, etc. What is going for it is being a foe (even if a boss *preferred that a mini-boss or lower have these traits*) with flight, aerial attacks, ground attacks, etc. Usually flight is for pests/fodder.

>human face
>talking
Too bad Izzy didn't get his way.

>final concept
Looks fine (if lacking human features and red), but the model just doesn't bring it to life properly. Animations are nice. Haven't heard too much of the sounds from it yet.

1:48 It's like a goofier version of the flying demon from Army of Darkness. So silly.

1:54 That f***ing face...

>jaw of a shark
The shark is the part that is all wrong. It is NOT part of the formula for Manticore. It throws everything off. I understand what they're going for with the larger opening for bites and fire, but...the look is off.

2:18 Which is also part of the problem. The shark aspect. that's what ruined it. The concept art version didn't have that expressed in the same way. More and smaller teeth and all the other features that make the two differ.

3:19 Yeah, that too. The lack of a mane is a bother. You shaved the 'lion'. His chin looks weird because of it.

3:45 Ah, an early preview of the sounds, in-action fight, etc. Tail slap (like Chimera). Hopefully this one uses poison where Chimera's Snake didn't use the venom to said effect (just to stun or grab/slam). Icarus Offensive (air wing flap) from the Manticore. I wonder if it'll have some of the melee the Dark Souls 'guardian' used. Hopefully. Seems a bit on the smaller side for a 'boss' (versus mini-boss). In terms of monsters anyway.

4:00 Fire that sticks around as a hazard. Hope it makes good use of that. Fire breath too. I wonder if we take the fire element from it as we seem to take ice from Castor/Pollux. Do we get 'soul' from Orcos? That just leaves lightning. They going to use that dropped GoWII best of Zeus? *original character* We shall see.

4:03 Good look at the Temple that seems to be of Python. This while the Manticore seems to be diving down. Looks on the face aside, the fight should be interesting enough. I still feel like it should be a mini-boss to encounter more than once (open to use in the Arena). Bah. The need for a cinematic kill prevents this simple use of it.

5:23 Even here, the art is fine. The model is the issue. The face didn't get translated right and the loss of some of the mane is noticeable.

7:11 Pity we lack Combat Grapple proper. Tether can be foiled before it even gets to the CG part.

7:16 So the dive leaves some fire pools. Noted. Hopefully more get left as the fight progresses (because GoW doesn't do difficulty based changes for this kind of thing).

7:26 QTE with buttons shown this time. Should probably be an option/toggle to turn off the prompts and have them done automatically so the player can just enjoy the show in NG+ (with the option to be fresh, carryover or be MAX'd in various regards).

7:35 Multiple encounters, eh? And that large Python was a moving structure? Unexpected.

7:52 GoWII had Griffins and the Dark Griffin, but they were restricted to the Pegasus Segments. Never got used as I'd hoped they would for GoWIII. This time it is being done, but just for a boss (needs to be programmed for a mini-boss that can be encountered more than once, in groups and in the Arena).

8:02 Would be a pity if there was no ring-out here. At least for VH mode. Let us be instant killed for getting caught by the move. If you're on VH, you signed up for a challenge, so no whining should be heard unlike if this was done for Normal (or glorified Normal *Hard*) where casuals roam for their precious trophies, first (and only) playthrough *for the blockbuster experience/story*, etc. Vets (core fans) come for gameplay. Before long it becomes about the challenge.

8:07 Wall splat on invisible wall. Bah. If there were a wall, this would be excusable. Also, the wall splat should see the Manticore follow-up with a different punish from when it just blows the player far away (or misses entirely).

8:21 Yeah, I see that. Like Juggs (Elephantaur). A throwback to Callisto and Hades. Hopefully this one is more complicated than with the Juggernaut as dodging any direction is as good as another for his attacks. Manticore being limited to one attack with us dodging multiple ways well ahead of time? Boring.

Good to be back on track with SP coverage. This is the sort of thing I enjoy looking over. Thanks for sharing.

Jak: >mouth/head
>better with Chimera head
Or just like in the concept art (more faithful to it).

Still complaining, are we?

photo Sig_zps70d8d3f0.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 27 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5416 posts

Feb 1, 2013
Davie Boy: >still complaining
Still whining about my critique, sailor? Just kiss me already. Get it over with and out of your system.
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 27 (241 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4057 posts

Feb 1, 2013

"Critique"? 

Of course.

photo Sig_zps70d8d3f0.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 27 (235 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5416 posts

Feb 1, 2013
>of course
So give me some sugar. Lay it on me. No tongue though. We're not that close, Davie Boy.

NOTE: Which entry did you say you wanted to start your lessons with?
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 27 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
282 posts

Feb 2, 2013
SSM needs to scrap the stupid shark mouth and replace it with the mouth the Chimera had in God Of War 3.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 27 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5416 posts

Feb 4, 2013
The shark mouth (jaw) is bad, but rows of teeth (just not goofy, huge teeth) are fine. But, it is too late. They waited until the game was Gold. Now we cannot tell them what to fix and have it attended. I see intent. It's my nature.
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 27 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
282 posts

Feb 4, 2013
GMG, wouldn't you say the Chimera snout/mouth would be more fitting?

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 27 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5416 posts

Feb 4, 2013
More so than a shark's jaw? Yes. The rows of teeth are fine as that is something attributed to the creature, but the shark jaws are not (and it looks weird). Giving it the Chimera's (Lion) head would have been fine with the mane of hair replaced with the quills.
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 27 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
282 posts

Feb 4, 2013
The shark jaws killed the excitement of the Manticore. I'm just looking forward to killing the **bleep** thing, so I don't have to look at it anymore. Great idea, and concept. They could've given it small, jagged pinlike teeth with the Chimera's snout/jaw.

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 27 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5416 posts

Feb 4, 2013
>kill it
I hope we tear its jaws off as with Hippocampus.

>could've
Like in the concept art that was finalized before the modeler got his way.
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 27 (126 Views)
0 Likes