Jan 04 2013
By: PWNGman First Son 4 posts

My humble impressions (from a long time fan)

9 replies 309 views Edited Jan 4, 2013
Hey there, I miraculously got a key to the beta. You encouraged people to give you their opinion. Here goes: I'm a longtime God of War fan, beat all 5 games on hard mode. I was and still am in love with the series. The team did an excellent job on adapting the gameplay for a multiplayer mode but it doesn't cut it for me. I could only try the Flag mode. The other one- couldn't access it. No other players in it at the moment? Tried a couple of times. The game is all over the place. My character stops moving for no apparent reason, stays in the air too long (yeah, someone did a spell on me, I guess), 2vs1 means sure death for the little guy. I was constantly getting raped, the other guys seemed overpowered, even if they weren't. When someone captures the flag, he evades the hell out, so that no one can touch him. I think the tutorial in the final game has to do a better job at introducing players to the mechanics, should put them in multiplayer-like situations or they'll just get **bleep**-rammed like me. I truly wish Santa Monica all the best. You obviously did a lot of work to make it happen and you can't satisfy everyone out there. I'm a singleplayer/ campaign lover guy, so keep that in mind as well. Hope the multiplayer isn't the core of the game, even if it is the standing innovation this time around. P.S. I'm still mad with you guys at Santa Monica for not having the three way Kratos-Zeus-Gaia battle at the end of God of War III. I know the time limitations were tough but that game deserved a bigger ending.
Message 1 of 10 (309 Views)
Splicer
70 posts

Re: My humble impressions (from a long time fan)

Jan 4, 2013
I'd stick to the 4 man free-for-all instead of the team games and the only 4 man FFA and Capture the Flag are available on the beta at this time, the 3rd mode has been locked for the time being to encourage CTF play(I assume).

I was a little iffy about the multiplayer at first but the more I played the FFA mode I got addicted to it and got better and better at it. Its pretty hectic but you don't have to worry about getting teamed up on very often if at all.
Message 2 of 10 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
157 posts

Jan 4, 2013

The 4 man FFA is even worse. If you do that, then expect to get pummeled by world weapons and your kills stolen. CTF is better imo because you can always join another person for that extra help.

Message 3 of 10 (283 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
77 posts

Jan 4, 2013

Maybe you should play a bit more before giving your humble impressions. 

You do know games have learning curves, right?

Of course you are going to get your butt creamed by someone with more experience and better armor. Do you expect the tutorial to make you a killing machine no matter who your first battles are against. 

2 vs 1 definitely does NOT mean certain death. To someone who has only played a "couple times", you SHOULD be getting beat in that situation.

If people that are new to the game did as good as people who understand the gameplay mechanics better, then that would make for one shallow and basic fighting game. 

YOU:

play a few games, gets destroyed, its too hard, tutorial sucks, I should be better then the other players for some reason, I get killed too much, multiplayer is not for me because I don't understand why I should have to learn gameplay mechanics before I can kill everyone, multiplayer is not very good, I will stick to single player. 

Not my intent to come off as a jerk, but you really need more experience with the game. 

Message 4 of 10 (267 Views)
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Jan 4, 2013

Yes I have to agree I have been in beta for a while and at first I was getting wrecked alot but as you build up experience in game you get better gear and more options in combat.  4 player ffa is the best to start. If you played all the games and where able to beat any on the hard or better difficulty then you should be decent at this game.   I was able to kill higher level players pretty easy with the mechanics in game since the first game forced you to gain that twitch based combat down pat or you never would be it on hardest.

The reason you start 4 ffa is because you can gain alot more xp than ctf or anything that involves more than 4 players in a small arena.   Yes you are gonna die alot but thats the way the game is but this is also beta and like said before they limit the options to what they want tested at the time.   There is going to be many more modes including pve plus more gods so we will see how that all works out in retail as a complet package.

Message 5 of 10 (259 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 4, 2013
You're absolutely right. There is the fact however experience from previous games could've been more helpful. I tried the FFA and enjoyed it a lot more. Seemed less chaotic. One point that should be made in FFA matches: people steal your kils. All the time. Actually, this is my own strategy. Leave the other 2-3 guys beating the crap out of each other. Then come when they have no health, use my specials and voila. The game should acknowledge the damage factor, the damage you've dealt and not just the finishing blow.
Message 6 of 10 (243 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 4, 2013
I fully agree with your impression. I have a very hard time learning this game in the beginning because I do not understand the mechanic of this game. I get 2/11 now I usually get 8/2. They should either make a better tutorial or a more intuitive mechanism for new players. It's very frustrating.
Message 7 of 10 (221 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 5, 2013
http://www.gamesta.com/god-of-war-ascension-multiplayer-preview-tantalus-torment/ A nice read. Talks openly about unfair game matching, unbalanced opponents and the overall newb-unfriendly enviroment. Hope Santa Monica pays attention.
Message 8 of 10 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
157 posts

Jan 5, 2013

why are ppl acting like it is so bad for newcomers to struggle while playing at first. This happens in literally every single mp game, regardless of genre. When I started off playing TEKKEN 6 online, I would get destroyed by unblanced characters like Lars, yet I would understand that the reason was that I was new. If this mp gets a bad rap because of this, then that is ridculous. The point is to get stronger and learn. Now.......if noobs are able to best more exp players, then THAT is an issue. With the current dodge imbalances, world weapons spawning too quickly, and wild magic abuses, then that will prove to be a reality.

Message 9 of 10 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
9300 posts

Jan 9, 2013

RichYungThaBest wrote:

why are ppl acting like it is so bad for newcomers to struggle while playing at first. This happens in literally every single mp game, regardless of genre. When I started off playing TEKKEN 6 online, I would get destroyed by unblanced characters like Lars, yet I would understand that the reason was that I was new. If this mp gets a bad rap because of this, then that is ridculous. The point is to get stronger and learn. Now.......if noobs are able to best more exp players, then THAT is an issue. With the current dodge imbalances, world weapons spawning too quickly, and wild magic abuses, then that will prove to be a reality.

Exactly, people can't just put out a review of something where they didn't have enough time to actually play the thing. There is a learning curve to this and you're going to get a beating when you start..that's a guarantee. Im impressed so far from what i saw when my friend was playing, looks like it's going to keep alot of players hooked if they give it a chance.

Message 10 of 10 (136 Views)
0 Likes