I Only Post Everything
997 posts

Re: They should have waited...

Feb 22, 2013
I mean what is that point on buying a ps4 on day 1 if all you will have is 3/4 games to play on it
 photo f797777c-46dc-4bc6-aa23-257ca99d60c6_zps6040a0e4.jpg
Message 11 of 24 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5287 posts

Feb 22, 2013
hmm, don't know what I was thinking with that couple of years.

they said bc wouldn't be available for the ps4 as far as discs go, but seems like gaikai will be solving that as games come online.

Message 12 of 24 (165 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
997 posts

Feb 22, 2013
so we will have to re buy the games we oready have for 10+ i mean i understand the ps2 to ps3 problem i mean dvd blue-ray but ps3 BR and ps4 BR so what is the problem
Message 13 of 24 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5287 posts

Feb 22, 2013
That's a good question that doesn't have an answer as of yet.

Message 14 of 24 (154 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Feb 22, 2013

Galibis wrote:
so we will have to re buy the games we oready have for 10+ i mean i understand the ps2 to ps3 problem i mean dvd blue-ray but ps3 BR and ps4 BR so what is the problem

The architecture for the main processor used in the PS4 is completely different from that used in the PS3 console.  Basically, the PS4 speaks English and the PS3 speaks Japanese.  So the code that is used to build the PS3 games isn't understood by the code that the PS4 uses.  Therefore, the only option for the PS4 to play PS3 games would be to emulate the functioning of the PS3 via software.  This is like translating one language into another one in real time.

The problem is that the PS3 runs VERY fast.  A 3.2 GHz processor.  So in order for it to be emulated, you would need a processor in the PS4 that is many magnitudes faster than that of the PS3.  There is no technology out there today which could do that.

Another thing to consider is that emulation of a system requires emulation of every aspect of it.  The graphics processor, the sound processor, the controller interface, etc.  So that's even more work that the PS4 processor would need to do in real time.  Sony could have included a set of PS3 processors in the PS4 in order to allow backwards compatibility, but that would entail an increase in the amount of chips in the PS4 which increases the chance of failure, increases the power consumption needed, reduces the amount of space on the circuit board, etc.  

Instead, what they are going to do is stream the games via their Cloud service where the code is executed on their server side and streamed to your PS4.  This will require an internet connection with a high bandwidth in order to do it.

Basically, the running of PS3 games on the PS4 would be analagous to having someone translate kanji text into hebrew text, greek text, arabic text, and english text all at the same time while the words are projected onto a screen at a high rate of time during a teleconference of some sorts.  And all of this done by one person.

Message 15 of 24 (150 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
997 posts

Feb 22, 2013
And the BR is a BR last time i check it dont make Any deafrent is like you telling me i cant play a **bleep** dvd on a american dvd player went we know we can dont make excuses for them bob if they dont let us play ps3 games on ps4 is cuz they want us to re buy the games on there bs cloud serves
Message 16 of 24 (142 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Feb 22, 2013

Galibis wrote:
And the BR is a BR last time i check it dont make Any deafrent is like you telling me i cant play a **bleep** dvd on a american dvd player went we know we can dont make excuses for them bob if they dont let us play ps3 games on ps4 is cuz they want us to re buy the games on there bs cloud serves

Seriously.  Go onto Google or, shuddering, Wikipedia and read up on emulation.  Let's say you can read books.  A book is a book, right?  It has symbols which put together comprise words and sentences.  So if I give you a book written in Kanji text, then by all means you'll be able to read it.  A book is just a book, right?  So why the hell can't you read the book of Kanji text?

I'm sorry Galibis, but you are 100% wrong here in your assumption.  A Blu-Ray is simply just a format for storing data.  Again, go look up the process of emulation, or descriptions of computer architecture, or compiling computer code.  Learning all of that will be a huge benefit to you, and will likely help lower your blood pressure.  If it was just a matter of "a Blu-Ray is a Blu-Ray", then why can't you play your PS3 games on a computer with a Blu-Ray drive.

I wish to god it was as simple as a BR just being a BR.  I would love to have backwards compatibility on my PS4, but I also understand what the difference is in the architecture of the processors between the two systems.  The Cell processor in your PS3 is a nightmare of customized instruction sets and unique code.  We do not have any technology out there today which can emulate that processor in any framerate close to playable.

Message 17 of 24 (131 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
348 posts

Feb 22, 2013

Jdurg: I'm guessing you haven't encountered one of Galibis' unintelligible rants before.

You're just wasting your time explaining. I've never seen this guy back out of an opinion before. You're better off dropping it.

Nice points about the PS4 having to rely on emulation in order to facilitate BW compatibility with PS3 games. Everything you said was pretty much confirmed by an interview Colin Moriarty of IGN did with Sony's Worldwide Studios. A summary can be read here:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/playstation-4-not-backwards-compatible-with-retail-or-digital...

Message 18 of 24 (128 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 22, 2013

Shikagen08 wrote:

Jdurg: I'm guessing you haven't encountered one of Galibis' unintelligible rants before.

You're just wasting your time explaining. I've never seen this guy back out of an opinion before. You're better off dropping it.

Nice points about the PS4 having to rely on emulation in order to facilitate BW compatibility with PS3 games. Everything you said was pretty much confirmed by an interview Colin Moriarty of IGN did with Sony's Worldwide Studios. A summary can be read here:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/playstation-4-not-backwards-compatible-with-retail-or-digital...

Thanks Shika.  Yeah, I have attempted to read some of his rants before, but there's a part of me who always believes that people can learn.  Hell, I used to be a similar kind of stubborn individual when I was a teenager, but have changed.

I've always been a big fan of emulation as it has allowed me to play the games I grew up loving even though the consoles are long since dead.  I knew that there would be no way the PS4 would be BC unless they included a hardware processor on the system board to handle it.  But again, more processors equals more power consumption and a greater chance of failure.  Something no business wants to risk.

Message 19 of 24 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

Feb 22, 2013

ill be fine with the option to go back to ps3 games. at some point i know they'll some way to stream ps3 games over to something, i really refuse to believe all my purchases were in vein, but at the same time, everything the ps4 is showing makes me realize and understand the ps3's tech isn't up to par with the ps4 offerings, so im looking forward, not backwards in regards to next-gen. next-gen is gonna be amazing, and KillzoneSmiley Frustratedhadow Fall sold me on the ps4, alongside the downloading/update, gaikai streaming ps4 to ps vita feature that was an absolute plus for me. and today, got word that ps4 supports 3D in full 1080p running at 60 fps.....Yoshida confirmed that, so yes, yes and yes. all the things i really felt like i needed to have, i will be getting. well played sony.

Message 20 of 24 (116 Views)
0 Likes