Apr 08 2013
By: The-Sarge Treasure Hunter 4392 posts

Worst GOW game yet.

[ Edited ]
31 replies 672 views Edited Apr 8, 2013

Yes.  That is my review.

Just finished playing it and I must say, it was the biggest disappointment of the entire series.

It is obvious from this title that the franchise is starting to run out of steam.  Almost everything in this game is just a retread of what has gone before.

Giant statues.  Check

Battling something the size of a Titan.  Check

This was also the most un-inspired story of the saga.  I found myself asking what the point was of this particular Kratos adventure, and not really caring about the answer.

This particular story would have been more suitable to a PSP outing.  Except the stories on the PSP games were better.

Technically, this was also the least polished of the series.

Sure, there was plenty of eye candy, but nothing really stood out as being any better looking then GOW3.

The combat system on this game was clunkier then previous games.  The transition between combos was not as smooth as it has been in the past, which actually effects the success of your gameplay, as you are left open to enemy attack between the attacks in a combo while the engine strings them together.

Also the enemy selection was uninspired, and visually confusing.

Far too many times when the camera was pulled back far enough did I loose track of where Kratos was because he was not distinct enough from the numerous enemys on the screen.  That coupled with the almost over done special effects from enemy attacks, actually caused me to needlessly die, because I could no longer keep track of where my battle was anymore.

Lastly, the game itself has a somewhat rushed feel to it in comparison to other GOW games.  This game is buggy.  Not major game stopping bugs, but bugs that do interfere with the emersion into the experience, and sometimes the gameplay itself.

GOW games have always been known to be rock solid titles from a bug perspective.  However this one had numerous issues I have never noticed in a GOW game before.

The collision detection is awful compared to other GOW games.  I can't tell you how many times I jumped into the side of a platform when I was visually two feet above it.

The area to stick to and start climbing ladders and ledges are much more finicky then other entries in the franchise.

Also I had issues like sound delays, on cut scene startup.  Framerate drops for auto save instances.  Things that just never happened in GOW3.

I have to say that this series is about over it seems, both creatively and technically.  Sony is now just assembly lining these things out now, and it shows.

The stories are getting less interesting, or relevant to the main arc.  The developers are putting less effort into the finished product.  This franchise has officially started coasting.

If you are a die hard GOW fan, you no doubt already have this game.  If you are a casual player, or someone that doesn't live sleep and breath Kratos, I suggest passing on this title, and pick up the HD remixes of the originals.  They are by far a better overall gaming experience.

Be One With The Game.

Message 1 of 32 (672 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1944 posts

Re: Worst GOW game yet.

Apr 8, 2013

I liked the game, but yes it did feel like a psp game, a psp game with outstanding graphics that is.

With the bugs, blame the thing that bugged other games, the multiplayer. To me I see alot more MP games that have bugs than SP games.

The story pretty much only answered one question and that was how Kratos broke his bonds with Ares, nothing else. Which was quite a disappointment. It was mainly just a side story so SSM could make MP but not ruining GoW4 with its bugginess, well if they make a GoW4.

The combat and parry system was an understandable complaint. I liked the rage system but the parry system shouldnt have been in the SP only in the MP. I got used to it though so I did stop complaining about it though.

I can see how so many ppl dislike this game, but I thought it is a satisfying game, so whatever. Im not going to allow other ppls opinions change mine. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 32 (662 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Sackboy
461 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2013

FAIL

It's better then CoO and GoS where Kratos runs like a  **bleep**

Edit: Removed inappropriate language

U--J

photo YT01.png
Made by Carrioner photo GoWMYSIGNATURE.jpg
[url=http://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/Carrioner/][img]http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/Carrioner.png[/img][/url]
Message 3 of 32 (641 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
32 posts

Apr 8, 2013
Have you touch MP yet? don't judge game without check all of stuff it's true this game in SP is not better than previous game but MP prove this game has potential on MP not just tag on and name MP you can have fun in MP maybe more than SP and I still play this game in MP I don't care about negative stuff that will change my mind.
Message 4 of 32 (639 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2926 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 9, 2013

@Carrioner - Personally, I'll take the way he ran in CoO/GoS over the way he swung/slid his way through about half this game when he should've been killing something.I've played through this game twice now and have absolutely no desire to play it a 3rd time anytime soon.

Hades vs Kratos on Make A Gif
make animated gifs like this at MakeAGif
Message 5 of 32 (578 Views)
Sackboy
396 posts

Apr 11, 2013

It's like looking at something i would have written if i were to review this game. Gotta say that the adventure sections of the game have great scale and views (Snake and Apollo), but that hardly makes up for what you wrote, especially with the camera problems and clunky feeling controls when climbing etc. It's like enjoying a view from a mountaintop with a cactus stuck up 'you know where', *yeah it sure is pretty but my RECTUM hurts so i don't really care*.

I was dissapointed greatly with many aspects with 2 & 3 (especially 3 and its thousand useless weapons and "magics" and 'RAGE') but never did i imagine this would be worse. If i were to read about this game online and look what is in store for me before actually playing this, i would probably say *HOLY TURD I NEED TO PLAY THIS GAME* and when i would pop the game in, the same turd i just talked about would fall on my head, and it is in semi-liquid form. 

Lastly, i wonder how many people from the first games are/were working on this one? If i were to answer myself, i would say none, because that is just how different this feels to the previous games, although the PSP ones were made by a different company, but i guess they were not allowed to screw the series up. And see what happened, they made the best GOW games after the first one.

Message 6 of 32 (509 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
142 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 11, 2013

Ha ha, those are eloquent words, Alghazanth - nice one.

I haven't finished the story yet, but I pretty much agree with you guys.  I feel like they messed with the combat system too much.  I like it in the multiplayer, but they didn't need to mess around with the single player.  They could've just added the world weapons and left everything else the same.  I also think the promptless QTE's are kind of stupid.  Also, why did they have to get rid of circle-prompts and put those "halos" above enemies heads when they're ready to be finished off?  The circles were easier to see and to me were a staple of the series.

It feels like SSM tried to cater to the demands of non-God of War fans that complained that all the previous games in the series were too similar in gameplay.  The problem with that is that every other game in the series was very very good and the gameplay was fluid and perfect.  Why mess with a proven formula when you can make something similar, create a good new story and spice up the graphics.  You don't see first person shooters changing around the way you control them - they've found a formula that works and they sell millions of copies.

With this game, all SSM have managed to do is change things enough to upset existing fans of the series, and in the process not a make a better game to change the opinion of non-fans who complained before.

I guess that's my 2 cents.  I'll finish the game and play some more MP, but I really hope for a better effort on the PS4 or even the Vita that returns the series to it's roots.

Message 7 of 32 (493 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10754 posts

Apr 11, 2013

peck_godofwar wrote:
Have you touch MP yet? don't judge game without check all of stuff it's true this game in SP is not better than previous game but MP prove this game has potential on MP not just tag on and name MP you can have fun in MP maybe more than SP and I still play this game in MP I don't care about negative stuff that will change my mind.

Therein lies the problem.  GoW:A is a multiplayer game with a half-arsed SP mode tacked on.  The Devs have even admitted to spending much more time on developing the MP than the SP.  And sadly, it shows.

I stand by my pre-release/pre-announcement stance that a Multiplayer mode has no place in the GoW universe.  They should have released the multiplayer as a stand-alone PSN title at $9.99 (or less), and held back on releasing GoW:A until such a time as it was actually ready for release.

Tell me:  What exactly does the multiplayer mode have to do with God of War?  Is there anything identifiable in the multiplayer mode that is God of War specific?  Zeus, Hades, Ares, Poseidon: all from Greek mythology (not just the GoW franchise), so you can't count them as GoW specific.  Do you have access to the Blades of Chaos in the multiplayer mode?  Does Kratos appear anywhere in the multiplayer mode?  No?  It is NOT God of War.  It is a multiplayer game based on Greek mythology.  It should have been released as a stand alone multiplayer game.  Of course, if they did that, it likely wouldn't sell well, since it wouldn't be associated with anything anyone has ever played.

Message 8 of 32 (475 Views)
Fender Bender
2926 posts

Apr 11, 2013
@BburgSteve - Totally agree. The fact that they wouldn't release the MP as a standalone game says to me that they had very little faith in it and that they would rather tack an established series onto it and bring down the potential quality of both sides than take a chance and develop the SP and MP portions as separate games.

Hades vs Kratos on Make A Gif
make animated gifs like this at MakeAGif
Message 9 of 32 (465 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Apr 12, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

peck_godofwar wrote:

Therein lies the problem.  GoW:A is a multiplayer game with a half-arsed SP mode tacked on.  The Devs have even admitted to spending much more time on developing the MP than the SP.  And sadly, it shows.

I stand by my pre-release/pre-announcement stance that a Multiplayer mode has no place in the GoW universe.  They should have released the multiplayer as a stand-alone PSN title at $9.99 (or less), and held back on releasing GoW:A until such a time as it was actually ready for release.

Tell me:  What exactly does the multiplayer mode have to do with God of War?  Is there anything identifiable in the multiplayer mode that is God of War specific?  Zeus, Hades, Ares, Poseidon: all from Greek mythology (not just the GoW franchise), so you can't count them as GoW specific.  Do you have access to the Blades of Chaos in the multiplayer mode?  Does Kratos appear anywhere in the multiplayer mode?  No?  It is NOT God of War.  It is a multiplayer game based on Greek mythology.  It should have been released as a stand alone multiplayer game.  Of course, if they did that, it likely wouldn't sell well, since it wouldn't be associated with anything anyone has ever played.

Very well said.  Todd Papy and the developers did a great job in ruining the good name of the GoW series.  This entry into the pantheon of the franchise is just so poorly done that it almost becomes laughable.  So many of the things that made this franchise such a great one to play was ripped out, needlessly changed, or completely omitted for no other reason than "Papy wanted to change things up."  This is exactly a MP game with a really **bleep** SP mode tacked on at the last moment.

Was at a Gamestop last weekend when somebody in there was going to pick up a new copy of GoW:A.  I asked him why he was getting it, and he simply stated "I love the GoW series and haven't had the time to pick up the new entry yet.  Is it any good?"  I then proceeded to tell him about everything that was wrong with it, and how it was just a MP game with a smartphone like SP tacked onto it.  If he truly wanted to play it, he'd be better off finding it for $10 or so in the used copy area.  He promptly put the new copy back and picked up some other game.

So at least I can be proud of myself in stating that I helped someone save money and keep it out of the hands of the developers of GoW : Ascension.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 32 (451 Views)
0 Likes