Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 08 2013
By: c3RAMburger Lombax Warrior 144 posts

"Bros before Hos" trophy

[ Edited ]
32 replies 1112 views Edited Mar 8, 2013

So is this the brunt of Sessler's scathing 3/5 review score?  Is he really that sensitive?  Sure it's a bit juvenile but no more than 3's crushing the Poseidon Princess and getting the "I didn't do it...but I wish I did!" trophy.  

I guess maybe knowing the context of it might help though?  As far as I know Kratos just curb stomps a Fury sister.  Knowing this much maybe naming the trophy something like "Greek History X" would've served it better, seeing as how that curb stomp scene was a direct inspiration for Kratos's personality according to Jaffe.  

In any case some of these reviews for Ascension seem far, far more subjective than any past GoW title, which by contrast have rested much more on their laurels and always got 9+ across Meta, and they actually make me want to play the game more now than ever before.  As long as the audio issue is addressed I'm going in like this is going to be the best GoW yet. 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 33 (1,112 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Re: "Bros before Hos" trophy

Mar 8, 2013

it pretty much is. sesslers never been that good of a reveiwer, even when he was with G4. plus  he released a video at the beggining of the year basically saying that 2012 was a bad year for female gamers and giveing an openly femonist crowd validity. it doesnt shock me that he would react the way he did, especally after seeing the aformentioned video.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 33 (1,083 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
144 posts

Mar 8, 2013

From Papy's twitter-

@jvdarula @adamsessler @sonysantamonica Yep it is a trophy. In fact one of our female producers came up with it. Right or Wrong...

Well now, how about that...or as the Church Lady would say, "Isn't that special!"  

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 33 (1,072 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
160 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 10, 2013

The fact that a female producer came up with it doesn't automatically mean its not sexist, but in this case I think it was a completely innocent joke, albeit a fairly dumb one.

Poland FTW!
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 33 (972 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
676 posts

Mar 8, 2013
It would have been funnier if the trophy was "Homies over Hoes".
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 33 (924 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
409 posts

Mar 8, 2013

He made it sound like they named the trophy "Domestic Violence."

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 33 (825 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

Mar 8, 2013

It's so frustrating. People in the comments were saying that he didnt really factor the trophy into his review that much. But like, a good fifth of his review is the trophy, so it's a fairly substantial complaint, and he is making that trophy alone the subject of it's own video. 

So it totally factored into his score, since reviews are just people's opinions, and he had a very, very strong opinion about what is a pretty amusing trophy. 

Also, I'm glad Papy didnt apologize: he has no reason to. Sessler's saying the trophy was mysogenistic was so wrong it was staggering, a tiny bit out of taste? Possibly, if you're thin skinned. But she was the main villain for christ's sakes, its not like you got "Bros before Hos" after killing prostitues you just had sex with.

One last point: he describes the head stomp as one of the most violent things he's ever seen. I guess he hasnt played Gears of War or any of the other god of war games, because a head stomp is fairly tame, all things considered.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 33 (820 Views)
Survivor
2388 posts

Mar 8, 2013
I'd like to see this video, its pretty interesting to see a games industry veteran get so worked up over such a small detail and to let it influence his work.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 33 (797 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11705 posts

Mar 8, 2013

look for the thread "adam sessler doesnt like this game" or something like that......it's similar

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 33 (789 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
114 posts

Mar 8, 2013

SSM are creating an enviroment for equal opportunities in the workplace  :smileytongue:

/thread

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 33 (759 Views)
0 Likes