May 10 2013
By: ThaRawDeal Sackboy 376 posts

1st DLC Worth Paying For?

13 replies 205 views Edited May 10, 2013

I bought the collectors addition so I didn't have to purhase these new items, but I'm curious to know how everyone feels about the pricing of these items and the variety or lack there of. I've been strictly spears and hammers since launch but I must admit that I've been having a blast using both the Artemis and Thanatos blade. The only problem I see with those weapon is the fact that they both can kill in one combo. On one hand I guess they have to be very strong to make them worth buying, but I know a lot of people are against the whole "touch of death" style of play. I personally wouldn't mind TOD combos if the execution of them was actually difficult, but whatever, it's part of the game.

These new armor sets I'm not to pleased with though, they are basically just reskins. Chimera armor is basically Artemis armor but with a huge cooldown penalty, I was hoping for something much better. Any armor people will have to pay for should modify at least 3 stats, even if it's something like 2 positive and 1 negative effect. I get the feeling that they are afraid of making the original armor sets obselete if they make te DLC too powerful.

It does seem like there is more activity online now, I'm glad to see that!

All in all I think this was something they could have released back when they increased the level cap. If I didn't have the season pass I would have passed up on these items because I'm not a sword user and the armor is functionaly the same as what I already have access to.

How do you guys feel about additional the content they've released so far?

Are you not entertained!

Message 1 of 14 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
175 posts

Re: 1st DLC Worth Paying For?

May 10, 2013

I haven't personally tried the sword but I can do 100% combos with lv25 Ares Sword and lv9 Zeus Sword Glad Hammer Mino Hammer and i'm not even that great of a player so I'm sure there other weapons that can do it (i blow with spears so havent tried them much) so I dont really agree with some of the complaints on the combo-ability of  them. I do think the Blade of Thanatos looks wicked though and really like the specials since i usually use lv25 Ares Sword and it's similar in how you have to aim your specials, plan on purchasing it. Not too keen on the look of Artemis or its specials.

P.S. ThaRawDeal i watch your youtube videos awesome, you're a great player man, truely skilled. I hope I achieve your level of expertise one day

Message 2 of 14 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
376 posts

May 10, 2013
Yeah there are quite a few weapons that can TOD raw out in the open, I'm guilty of doing it quite often. It's fine with me because I'm pretty good at avoiding the attacks people need to set up the larger combos. It probably wouldn't be such a big deal if we had better defensive armor options, but then that's what Poseidon is for.

Artemis blade is pretty cool, not as good as the Thanatos but I still have fun using it because it can also ground an airborn enemy then relaunch them with L1+L. I also think it looks pretty bad **bleep**, although I was expecting it to resemble the blade from the original GOW.

And thanks for your continued support with regards to my YT channel! It's crazy how many people I play against that recognize my gamer tag now. Do you have any suggestions for how I can improve my content?
Are you not entertained!

Message 3 of 14 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
198 posts

[ Edited ]
May 10, 2013

The only thing I would buy is the Thanatos Blade and for no more than $0.99. I also recognize you from in-game lol

Does it bother anyone else that the Thanatos Blade is green instead of the smokey yellow from Ghost of Sparta?

Message 4 of 14 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
820 posts

May 10, 2013
Everything that has been released must have been $0.99 if sold separately. It's really just a money-grab if one thing is going to cost $3.

I expected more like a pack(About 5 or more) of weapons and was pretty disappointed how only two weapons came. They had two months, and they kept reminding us how awesome dlc would be, but it just lacks. And you know what I mean if you have played games that offer dlc - especially battlefield 3 with its huge, quality dlc.

Good job to them for bringing elite levels, but not such a good job on the first dlc. I also thought they will put up a trailer for it, but I guess playstation channel would not let them upload a video, or they are just too lazy to make a video.
But really, it is a waste of money to pay $3 for one sword/armor. I want to get them, but I will not be getting them as of now due to its price. If it never drops, well, I'm not getting them.

I'll be waiting for the next dlcs/maps. By the looks of it, some maps are definitely going to be charged. (To me, SSM is turning into a greedy company right now). Until they bring a real quality content... I will be playing other games.
(I do love this game, however)
Message 5 of 14 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
307 posts

May 10, 2013
Yeah and now we got the dlc. And now theres gonna be a 2 month wait for the next dlc :smileyhappy:. Im getting bored of the game now anyway...
--------------------------------
Reapers of War

Message 6 of 14 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
114 posts

May 10, 2013

I got the Chimeran and bought the 2 swords.

Chimeran Armour is a nice addition IF you think increased cooldown are less a problem to you than -1hp (it also looks awesome).

I didn't buy the other 2 armour set because I don't see any need for spending money on stuff I've already unlocked. Yes, they look nice, no, I don't care ^^

But I do think they reskinned Medusa's and Griffin's because many people said those were too hard to unlock and wouldn't bother to pay for them, so nice bussiness move by SSM :smileyhappy:

As far as the 1,5€/3$ per sword goes: as long as you're grown up and have a job, you shouldn't actually care about these amounts IMO.

But leveling them up alone takes 5hours each (45k xp for lvl3, 1,5k xp per game, 6 games/hour), and I think 1,5€ is quite fair for 5 hours of fun.

Additionally, I actually like HOW those swords work, I honestly think Thanatos is my new favourite with Hades.

I leveled the Artemis one with a Chimeran Armour Poseidon, which was quite fun, but I think it shines with Ares (didn't test yet).

Neither Armour or sword is a must buy, although especially Thanatos is considered strong, so the DLC didn't turn into a play to win one luckily :smileyvery-happy:

TL; DR: new, funny stuff; moderate price considered the time spent with it; NOT pay to win -> would buy again if I hadn't already

0 Likes
Wastelander
820 posts

May 10, 2013
No, the price is a problem because they will be bringing a "wealth" of weapons and armors. I would rather spend three dollars on something else. I'm not saying dlc sucks, but it is way too expensive for ONE single thing.
Message 8 of 14 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
114 posts

May 10, 2013

s_eric9 wrote:
No, the price is a problem because they will be bringing a "wealth" of weapons and armors. I would rather spend three dollars on something else. I'm not saying dlc sucks, but it is way too expensive for ONE single thing.

I do admit the price seems/is high for "random digital data", and of course there are more sensible ways to spend it.

But tbh I think 90% of gamers have spent more money one even more useless stuff (examples would be costmetic stuff like skins in LoL or items in Dota2, ......).

I still accept the argument that someones pocket money is too precious to be spent that way; no pun intended but if you want to have excess money, get a small job as a teenager.

Noone should be entitled to get what he/she wants without having to work for it; either grow up or pass... (had a weekend job from 15-23 to get "luxury stuff", you can do it aswell).

0 Likes
Wastelander
820 posts

May 10, 2013

XaroX_86 wrote:

I still accept the argument that someones pocket money is too precious to be spent that way; no pun intended but if you want to have excess money, get a small job as a teenager.

Noone should be entitled to get what he/she wants without having to work for it; either grow up or pass... (had a weekend job from 15-23 to get "luxury stuff", you can do it aswell).

@XaroX_86
Yes, I am aware of games like lol and dota2 where people pay for things that are extremely unnecessary. Game companies that are prime examples of this is Nexon(games like maple story: virtually nothing costs $10) and Gameloft(mobile game where each champion for lol mock-up is 16 dollars).
I just have a feeling that SSM is turning into that kind of direction.

And yes, I have a job( :smileytongue: Don't just assume that I am a teenager because you are an adult and because I'm complaining about money issues) and can pay for these thousands of times if I wanted to, but it's just hard to not compare this DLC to other games that have been well-known for DLCs(And you have to admit that it is not over the top compared to DLCs that games like battlefield 3(not a fan at all) offered for $15. EXTREMELY huge mapS* with fine details with new weaponS*/vehicleS*). And lucidly... this one really lacks. I'm sorry, but it really is a truth. I truly believe that SSM is a quality-company, and that is why I am a little disappointed. I wouldn't react like this if the producer of this game was some cheap developers

Message 10 of 14 (119 Views)
0 Likes