Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 20 2013
By: carnifex49 Hekseville Citizen 253 posts

Anyone else think the multiplayer won't be as popular as other big online games?

15 replies 205 views Edited Jan 20, 2013

Considering this game actual takes some time and effort to learn and develop skill, which may be a turn off to the current "get rich quick" mentality of the "CoD" generation.

Just something I noticed based on what people complain about and playing the game itself.

I personally find this a good thing.

Message 1 of 16 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
205 posts

Re: Anyone else think the multiplayer won't be as popular as other big online games?

[ Edited ]
Jan 20, 2013

It won't be Call of Duty. No other console game comes close to Call of Duty's popularity.

However, I think this game will do just fine, and the complaints we've seen are honestly not that many, with a beta at that. Each Call of Duty iteration seems to get more complaints than the last, yet as a series it keeps on truckin'.

Most of all, it doesn't really have a lot of competition. It's unique in a way that no FPS game can be anymore.

Message 2 of 16 (197 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Re: Anyone else think the multiplayer won't be as popular as other big online games?

Jan 20, 2013

I have to agree with ElementDuck. The game will do just fine. The GoW franchise has so excellent throughout the years, the multiplayer step will only add to the overwhelming awesomness. :smileyhappy:

Message 3 of 16 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Jan 20, 2013

I think with this many people trying the beta and taking the time to actually come on the forum and discuss it shows a heavy interest in this game. There aren't many titles out there that have the hack and slash feel with a built in popularity that has multiplayer that isn't a FPS (first person shooter).( The only other one I can think of right now is the newer Dynasty Warriors titles)  There are many people that like that type of game but also a lot that do not.

I'm really excited about it even if some of the major issues aren't fixed because it isn't a FPS.Also hoping this doesn't bring a lot of those really negative and mean trash talkers on the mic like in many of those FPS games.  I think there are a lot of people trying the beta and really like to play it that don't come to the forum, especially giving the code on facebook for anyone to try and giving access to PS+ members.  

Message 4 of 16 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
253 posts

Jan 20, 2013
Oh I agree. This game will definitely be a unique multiplayer experience. with a solid playerbase.

One thing I just noticed about complaints is they usually boil down too "I can't kill anyone quickly and easily, this game sucks".

Message 5 of 16 (183 Views)
First Son
24 posts

Jan 21, 2013

This game will definitely fill a multiplayer niche that people like us enjoy and offer something different from the Call of Dutys.  However, I can't shake this fear of it not finding a large enough following to carry on multiplayer to future God of War games.  This whole multiplayer aspect feels like an experiment at Sony Santa Monica and, much like the first Gears of War multiplayer, will dictate multiplayer in future outings of the franchise. 

Multiplayer in the first Gears of War was fairly bare bones compared to the vast matchmaking system that exists today.  Almost like it was tacked on at the last minute to test out and see if people jumped on it or not.  Obviously it created a whole sub-genre of 3rd person online multiplayer shooters.  Lets all hope that Ascension does the same and leads future God of War games to expanding into larger and larger multiplayer facets.   Otherwise, we'll all be stuck with the same ol' Call of Duty crap forever. 

Message 6 of 16 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5585 posts

Jan 21, 2013

@hey_there_panda I Don't Know About This Comment Panda Though, "I can't shake this fear of it not finding a large enough following to carry on multiplayer to future God of War games."

If I May, I Would Like To Point Out This Well Known Fact; When A Person Speaks Of The PlayStation® Brand They Instinctively Connect That With The God of War Series .

But As You Said, This Is Step In A New Direction And Needs To Be Given The Admiration It Is Working Toward.

Granted That Yes It Is Unlike Anything We Have Seen Before On A Console, This Alone Should Give Players The Incentive To Give It The Longevity It Deserves .

If Anythng I Hope The Next God of War Entry, Either Alpha Or IV, Has A Higher Tier Of MP Mechanics To Illustrate The Idea Of Starting At Mark Zero To Ending At Magnificent !  

TLoU GotY 2013 .
Message 7 of 16 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
869 posts

Jan 21, 2013

I am a bit torn on how I think this MP will do...

On the one hand, a new GoW outing is most assuredly gonna sell 1 million copies so here's HOPING they do the single player Justice. With good sales, people are GOING TO try the Multiplayer, if only to see how it plays. I know I do this with any MP mode in a game I don't necessarily have a desire to play online at all. Uncharted 3 benefitted greatly froom having excellent online and hooked me quickly.

On the other hand,  David Jaffe's lack of involvement in the director chair leaves me worried, but hopeful. Although Twisted Metal was received rather lukewarmly by critics and players alike, it is one of the most unique and DEEP online experiences in gaming today. But the community is small because of bugs and online connectivity issues and sales were poor due to it being just a REALLY hard game even on easier settings. Unfortunately, games these days gotta be pick up and play for people to care.

Fortunately, God of War is that type of single player experience and HOPEFULLY SSM learned alot from TM's missteps in connectivity.

I use the word hope alot...my gut tells me the popularity of the MP side of this game will not quite reach Uncharted 3's but easily eclipse most if not ALL non-shooter online bases.

Message 8 of 16 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
739 posts

Jan 21, 2013
As long as this MP has a devoted hardcore audience, I think it will be OK for this simple reason.

It's the only MP of it's kind. Even with the lag, cheap deaths, bugs/glitches, and Zeus being OP, myself and others have continued to be a gluton for punishment. Lol!

I mentioned this in another thread, but I believe this MP has MLG (Major League Gaming) potential. The gameplay is too rich not to enjoy!

I just hope they the tone of the MP serious. I don't want to see any cowboys and other wild characters running around in my GOW! Lol!
Message 9 of 16 (100 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5585 posts

Jan 21, 2013

@SirCrush I Completely Agree With Everything DaJizzle Said !

Just A Reminder For Every1; God of War Is The Sony PlayStation®'s Baby : )

How It Will Not Live Up To Expectation Is Beyond Me .

If Anything The SP Aspect Will Blow Every Other Non-PS3 Exclusive Game Out Of The Water This Year !

Stay Positive My Friends ! :smileyvery-happy:

TLoU GotY 2013 .
Message 10 of 16 (93 Views)
0 Likes