Keyblade Wielder
9466 posts

Re: Armor Longevity?

[ Edited ]
Jan 31, 2013

kb4983 wrote:

Goldhawk1 wrote:
I like replacing armor with newer and better sets. This is what I like about god of war MP, I don't want to be level 50+ in god of war Ascension online and still be wearing gear I unlocked at level 5. How lame would that be?

So you'd rather it end up with having to scroll past several pieces of armor you'll never even use again to only use the few elite armors you'll get towards the end of your level progression?

I think all armors should be viable for the entirety of champions progression. That way players can choose! You'd still be able to look like a bad @$$ in newer armors if you so choose, it wouldn't take anything away from them.

Well it wouldn't be that bad, higher level armor would be closer to the level of the armor that you're currently wearing, and if that somehow doesn't work...if they couldn't successfully create a list of armor that was made easy to scroll through they could have different sections you could select for tiers.  Say once you level up high enough you unlock different options for armor.

Click on armor > 

level 1-30 gladiator gear

level 31-60 Champion of Olympus gear

Level 61-65 God gear 

This of course being that the end game level was 65, otherwise there'd be more drop down menus.  But once you click on armor, it'd show these other menus and you'd have to choose from another set of menus (from which you could just press circle to get out of) rather than piling all levels of armor into one category. 

Edit: 

if your idea was implemented it might add some more balance to the game, but it'd kill off all need to level up your character.  Just do the prerequisite for the set of your choice and boom, you're good for the rest of the game.  Not only that, but there'd have to be tons and tons and tons of sets...which would probably end up nullifying the armor you'd want anyway.

Meaning, say your favorite set is the gladiator set...you want to use that from the moment you pick up the game until the moment you end the game but then you get another set with gladiator stats but it also has health and cooldown on top of it.

there's nothing badass about leveling up through grueling levels and getting to a godly rank and then still have a level 1-10 set of armor..the one you start the game with... be viable for combat.  That absolutely kills off all purpose to even play the game.  You'd log on, get what you want, a few hours later level it up to 3 and you're sitting here like it's the beta again..nothing to do but just fight for NO reason.  

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 28 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9466 posts

Jan 31, 2013

Lord-Kratos23 wrote:
lol Goldhawk1's favorite armor was the "Sage" set anyway, he's hoping for a better stat armor like the "Sage" so he doesn't have to wear it anymore that's why he's against this.

lol oh hell no. 

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 28 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
253 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 31, 2013

Honestly yeah I'd prefer that all armors be viable at all levels, but have different niches.

If high tier armor were to be the best then it would just be like an MMO where skill is trumped by gear, which would suck. Not to mention as mentioned as time passes MP would be populated by people wearing the same godly-tier armor. The game would be boring when there's no incented to use variety in equipment when there's only 1-2 ones worth using.

Higher level should mean more variety instead of just purely better gear.

That's one thing shooters like Battlefield and CoD do right, in that all the guns are viable no matter what level they're unlocked. New comers who have skill can still be a match for long term players who have higher levels.

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 28 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
388 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 31, 2013

@ Goldhawk1

I don't believe it would kill off reasons to level at all. There is already a system in place for enough incentive to level up. Without leveling up you won't gain access to newer and better Magic Attacks, Items and Relics because you wouldn't be earning any Skill Points purchase all those with. Not to mention we don't know if in the full game, you will also have to buy specific armor/weapons with Skill Points alongside the Labors you must accomplish.

I'm a bit more inclined to think players will be able to use any armor set in the final release. It makes sense since SSM went with having a player level up individual armor pieces and weapons seperate from champion level progression ( a smart move).

Leveling up your champion is for earning Skill Points for abilities and such, and leveling up the weapons/armor is so you can pick and choose your favorite pieces of equipment no matter what level your champion is at!

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 28 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Jan 31, 2013

carnifex49 wrote:

Honestly yeah I'd prefer that all armor be viable at all levels, but have different niches.

If high tier armor were to be the best then it would just be like an MMO where skill is trumped by gear, which would suck. Not to mention as mentioned as time passes MP would be populated by people wearing the same godly-tier armor. The MP would then be based on who has the best gear instead of who has the best skill.

Higher level should mean more variety instead of just purely better gear.

That's one thing Call of Duty does right, in that all the guns are viable no matter what level they're unlocked.

I have to disagree in this instance. Many people kept saying that Zeus was overpowered and for magic with the same kind of defense and just a little less on physical damage . They were right for the most part.  However there are many players that were under Ares that could dominate as well. This was skill.

Unless they have a ton of armor to choose from then most people will like the look of one set and wear it as well. Some armor just looks cooler. A lot of the same people in a clan will talk about what they like and most or all of that clan will probably wear it based on looks if this system was in place. You would still have lots of people in the same armor.  They just need to make it to wear you have to work your tail off for the rarely good armor.  Meaning , even if you played it for a month straight and nothing interrupted you but sleep you still wouldn't have unlocked the godly sets.

It is the GoW style to let you get better gear/items as you progress in the game. This transfers to levels in MP .

As a funny side note, this isn't prom so I don't care if we are all wearing the same thing ;-)

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 28 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
253 posts

Jan 31, 2013

^Once again this isn't an RPG game. Higher level shouldn't equal purely better gear, higher level should mean a variety in gear.

If there was 1-2 piece of gear that trumped everything else then why include everything else? After release, I'm sure there will be many people from here (cough Clan Erebus cough) who will no doubt reach max level after a month or so of playing. When reaching that max level and getting the best gear, then we would spend the rest of the time (around 1-2 year) playing while wearing the exact same armor wielding the exact same weapons with the exact same stats all the freaking time. There would be no more variety in Champion loadout since everyone would be the same.

Oh? Low level armor that looks badass? Too bad it's outclassed but high tier armor, no need to use it. Imagine the Armor of Demeter (a release DLC armor) rendered totally useless by some other high class armor that looks different. No more badass antler helmet.

IMO champion customization was one of the best things about the beta. The ability to equip different armors to allow different playstyles. If high tier armor outclassed low level armor, then customization would be gone since in order to stand a chance all players would have to wear high level armor or put themselves at a huge disadvantage.

It's like having a fighting game with just 2 characters available. Would end up very boring.

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 28 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
296 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 31, 2013

carnifex49 wrote:

a)^Once again this isn't an RPG game. Higher level shouldn't equal purely better gear, higher level should mean a variety in gear.

b)If there was 1-2 piece of gear that trumped everything else then why include everything else? After release, I'm sure there will be many people from here (cough Clan Erebus cough) who will no doubt reach max level after a month or so of playing. When reaching that max level and getting the best gear, then we would spend the rest of the time (around 1-2 year) playing while wearing the exact same armor wielding the exact same weapons with the exact same stats all the freaking time. There would be no more variety in Champion loadout since everyone would be the same.

c)Oh? Low level armor that looks badass? Too bad it's outclassed but high tier armor, no need to use it. Imagine the Armor of Demeter (a release DLC armor) rendered totally useless by some other high class armor that looks different. No more badass antler helmet.

d)IMO champion customization was one of the best things about the beta. The ability to equip different armors to allow different playstyles. If high tier armor outclassed low level armor, then customization would be gone since in order to stand a chance all players would have to wear high level armor or put themselves at a huge disadvantage.

e)It's like having a fighting game with just 2 characters available. Would end up very boring.

FYI I'm editing your quote to reflect some points, I've inserted a,b,c,d...

a) agreed, competitive combat games at the higher tier should be about aesthetics, and player skills, not items only obtainable to the high rank

b) you're mixing specific wording and definitions here. Instead there would be no mix of aesthetics. When players reach a certain threshold on skill, their own skill within the game will stand out, loadouts and relics will be identical, depending on playstyle. The correct word here you are looking for is again "aesthetics" (looks), you want that variety.

Gameplay wise, good players will simply pick loudouts that work and or exploit the game.

c)again looks complaint, aesthetics

d) player playstyle is usually inherent, no outside factors will alter that, the players will simply pick an armor, regardless of looks that compliments their play style. Just because you could pick different armor with different stats in the beta doesn't mean it altered a players play style. Furthermore even adressing this contradicts your main cause.

e) 2 of the same characters going head to head in a game like Mortal Kombat and or Streetfighter was never boring, as each player does have their own playstyle.

In short refer back to my first post within this thread, I'm pretty sure that's what the majority want, just the ability to wear what they want, as long as certain armors have that pre-set of stats linked, only this time transferred to a different set and or piece.

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 28 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
253 posts

Jan 31, 2013
@FieryCaptain

Wow, just read your idea. I like it.

And yes as you can tell, I'm big on aesthetics. >_>
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 28 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9466 posts

Jan 31, 2013

kb4983 wrote:

@ Goldhawk1

I don't believe it would kill off reasons to level at all. There is already a system in place for enough incentive to level up. Without leveling up you won't gain access to newer and better Magic Attacks, Items and Relics because you wouldn't be earning any Skill Points purchase all those with. Not to mention we don't know if in the full game, you will also have to buy specific armor/weapons with Skill Points alongside the Labors you must accomplish.

I'm a bit more inclined to think players will be able to use any armor set in the final release. It makes sense since SSM went with having a player level up individual armor pieces and weapons seperate from champion level progression ( a smart move).

Leveling up your champion is for earning Skill Points for abilities and such, and leveling up the weapons/armor is so you can pick and choose your favorite pieces of equipment no matter what level your champion is at!

But what if all armor at higher level you like better than lower level?

Also, there's barely any incentive to level what so ever in this game.  There's no stat progression, the only thing worth it is unlocking the "skill points" you need to level up your peripherals.  

I know armor will get better as you level, otherwise what would be the point of showing off more godly weapons?  there's a higher level hammer and higher level sword and I'm perfectly fine with that. 

if it was the way you mentioned in the OP...where I could be level 50+ and wear level 5 armor into combat and be just as effiecient at having level 50 armor, I wouldn't even play the game.  It's a disgusting method and would want no part of it.  

There's no need for it either.  The only reason you'd want it is so that you can keep a set of armor?  Wouldn't there be cooler looking armor with better stats at higher level?  What good would this do at all?  

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 28 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
388 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 31, 2013

Goldhawk1 wrote:

kb4983 wrote:

@ Goldhawk1

But what if all armor at higher level you like better than lower level?

- Then you use the armor acquired at the higher level in battle and level it up. An easy way to remedy the issue you seem to have could be:

All the armor/weapons obtained at a lower level have more levels than armor acquired at higher levels. Stay with me on this...

This way, all the armor/weapons, lower and higher level would have similiar stats at Level 1 (armor obtained at a higher level can of course still have a tiny bit better Level 1 stats) but if the player chose to, they could take the lower level items and level them up to where they would be useable as a higher level player.

It would take longer than leveling a high level weapon but that's the point. A player could work at it and keep their favorites if their favorites were indeed acquired at a lower level.

Example:

Lower Level Helm (Player likes look of better)

Level 1: 130 Physical Resist

Level 2: 140 Physical Resist

Level 3: 150 Physical Resist

Level 4: 160 Physical Resist

Level 5: 170 Physical Resist

Higher Level Helm (Player doesn't favor the look of)

Level 1: 150 Physical Resist

Level 2: 160 Physical Resist

Level 3: 170 Physical Resist

The High Level Helm would start higher but if a player wanted to pursue the better looking armor acquired earlier in their progression it would be their choice to do so!

And maybe (like FieryCaptain was discussing) you have to reach a certain Champion level/all armor must be Max Level before you can unlock Levels 4 and 5 for the earlier weapon/armor.

Also, there's barely any incentive to level what so ever in this game.  There's no stat progression, the only thing worth it is unlocking the "skill points" you need to level up your peripherals.

- Barely incentive? Leveling up your Champion will do the following:

Earn Skill Points. Skill Points help you to...

Magic - Not only buy an initial Magic Spell but level it up several times as well. Who knows how many there will be.

Relics - Not only buy an initial Relic but level it up several times as well. Who knows how many there will be.

Items - Not only buy an initial Item but level it up several times as well. Who knows how many there will be.

Maybe even used to unlock weapons.

Maybe even used to unlock armor.

Maybe even more we don't know of.

I don't know about you, but that seems like a lot to me. :smileyhappy:

if it was the way you mentioned in the OP...where I could be level 50+ and wear level 5 armor into combat and be just as effiecient at having level 50 armor, I wouldn't even play the game.  It's a disgusting method and would want no part of it.

- No need to get disgusted bud, this is just a game after all. ;P

Wouldn't there be cooler looking armor with better stats at higher level?

- The problem is "cooler looking" armor is totally subjective. Say the best armor for a Hades Champion the way a certain player plays him is the Phobos armor. If that player were me, I would be disappointd I couldn't use better looking armor because I'm not too fond of the look of the Phobos armor.

Why should I be stuck using armor I think makes my Champion looks like crap? This is an MMO problem that I really hope isn't in this game.

I think my solution above would work pretty darn well. Obviously others may be able to pick it apart but I think it's a pretty solid idea!

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 28 (83 Views)
0 Likes