Dec 12 2012
By: Goldhawk1 Keyblade Wielder 9807 posts

Beta feedback roundup thread.

[ Edited ]
102 replies 636 views Edited Dec 21, 2012

So, the thread title pretty much says it all.  This is the thread you can go into to talk about beta problems, discuss beta changes, and anything beta related so we don't see endless threads about the same topic.  

Problems that have been found already:

Game freezes on "warning" screen.  

Important features:

Missing friend invites

Missing Voice chat

Both of these are essential to the MP, and of all the things to leave out of the MP, this is one of the biggest no nos.  Hopefully they're just testing it out and will possibly be able to patch it in at a later date?   

So far, my beta feedback:

Bugs - 

Poly will be shown dead with his jaw cut and everything laying on the ground before he's even supposed to die.  Also, the cutscene hardly ever actually kicks in.  

Post game screen - Sometimes emblems won't show up for the "achievement" you unlocked, and there is no audio for the parts you collect, so when it shows your progress on an item it goes from playing music and having sound to just nothing.  

R1 grapple - Sometimes doesn't work properly.  I have it happen a lot when I launch people into the air or during brutal kills. 

R1 environment - Really weird seeing your hand move like that when it fails to pick up an item or react with the environment. 

Brutal kills - Audio is off on the brutal kills.  It makes it sound really, really weird.  

New stuff - sometimes it doesn't alert you when you unlock new things, but I've only had it happen once so far. 

weapon damage - For some reason I leveled up a hammer and the attack cut in half? It was 75 damage with 80 cooldown and now it's 85 cooldown and 40 damage

Thoughts:  

I like it a lot.  I love the fact that you can level up items, have a plethera of items such as helmets, actual items, relics, etc.  

Game doesn't play very smooth.  There are quite a few bugs with poly and sound and what have you, but overall the gameplay feels really wacky.  Lag of course plays a big roll in this, which I'm not surprised since it's a beta... but sometimes I don't even feel like I'm doing damage.  It's difficult to fight sometimes, because you'll be attacking then suddenly it seems like they parry you (I know you can break away with items, but that's not what I'm talking about)

Not really sure how to pinpoint the problem.  But the combat just doesn't seem smooth and it's easy to get lost with hammers and swords flying everywhere.  

I know this is a beta, and a very early (closed) beta at that...but not having invites/voice chat is really concerning.  Missing things like this, custom games, and cinema would really take away from the game. 

One big concern I have, is will the content be enough?  I know beta, right, but there isn't much armor, aren't very many weapons, few magic, and even few item levels.  I haven't played a total of 3 hours yet (I've been online for 3 hours, but with very few games) and I have maxed out an item already.  How is this going to translate over to the full game?  Will we really be able to cap a character in a day?  

I love the stats sitting next to the character.  Though I'm obsessed with raising them all, I have to sit here and be in pain as only my str and def raise.  It would be cool, to see character levels influencing stats just a tiny bit.  

Bugs 2 (after 1.07 update):

Still some audio bugs during certain finishers.  

Camera during poly's cutscene needs some work, it zooms in too far and curing certain instances looks like it's placed wrong.  

After a match, it teleported everyone (all players) up to the HP fountain on team favor then told us who won/lost.  

Blade of Ares L1 + triangle attack sends them flying into the air, but rarely gives you a chance to actually grapple them.  Lots of times I'll grapple but it won't do the cutscene and other times the grapple halo doesn't stay there long enough for you to react.  

Physics issue - Huge issue I've been having with physics.  Say someone will hit me with the hammer (world weapon) and I'll go flying in the opposite direction they hit me in.  For example, I was on top of the point you need to capture up top and to the right.  This guy was in the corner facing poly and I was attacking him, suddenly I get hit with this hammer and I go into the air pretty high and fall right off the map in the opposite direction he hit me.  Not only that, the hammer seems pretty inconsistent.  Sometimes it just smacks people a little ways, other times they really, really go flying.  

Killing an enemy on the hercules map - If you kill an enemy on the hercules map they can go through the wall.

Ring out map collision - When on the dessert of lost souls, there's a spot down by the bottom territory that's all the way to the left that has a red chest sitting next to it.  Enemies can slide off and fall right through the rock.  It doesn't effect gameplay, but looks odd when an enemy falls into the rock rather than sliding down the side or something. 

Thoughts 2 (after 1.07):  

After having more time playing this game, I'm still liking it a lot obviously.  

Zeus's magic seems to be pretty **bleep** good.  It's powerful and some attacks leave you open to be attacked even more and I have to say, Zeus seems to be pretty powerful I haven't played on Zeus's side yet but the melee is powerful and the lightning is powerful, making them hoard magic a lot.

So far, I don't really like or understand the use of magic.  It used to give one full meter, now gives 50% of a meter.  I think this might have been changed in 1.07, because it always gave 1 full meter and allowed for one use unless you had high level magic in which case you could use it twice....though before when a fountain gave you one full meter and I'd use a high level magic I was still only able to use it once.  

I can understand why you would want to limit magic use, but I would like to at least start out with some magic, if not a full bar.  Magic is powerful, but very easy to avoid.  You have to risk team mates and enemies stealing the fountain from you.  On top of that, you could easily get ambushed and killed waiting for a full MP meter.  

Been running into a lot of confusion in battle.  I'll use a launch attack and they won't get launched or I'll grapple and it won't allow me to.  Some characters seem like they're near invincible to any status effects and just plow me over like I'm a level 1 with no armor.  

The hammer seems inconsistent and ring outs seem way too easy.  I mentioned it above so I won't go into details about the hammer but the ring outs happen all the time.  Sometimes I don't think they should even happen such as I'll be getting comboed and suddenly I'm just flying off the map even if the edge of the map is pretty far.  

Bugs (continued) 1.07: 

Traps can sometimes give some random person a kill.  For example, I'll set a spike trap and an enemy will walk into it and one of my team mates will get the kill.  

(Possibly) a bug with the combat system.  I noticed a lot that certain players or weapons can have their L1 + square special parried, while others can't.  I have mine parried all the time but I've seen people have theirs blow through the block.  

The fast travel orb that allows you to hook up to the health fountain sometimes doesn't work, meaning you fall to your death.  

The hammer world weapon sometimes doesn't do damage or make the enemy react. 

Taking over a command post - So, there will be times when poly interrupts you and you have to move out of the way.  Well, when you are taking over a command post, the command post doesn't function properly.  If the enemy team has a post and you go to take it and you get all the red out of the circle and it spins around as if it's ready to fill with green but you have to move out of the way so you don't die to poly, it will go back to being spartan controlled.  I've noticed it quite a few times actually, not just when I'm doing it but when enemies are doing it.  I'll interrupt them when they're at the midway point and most of the time it'll give us back the command post.  

More input/balance issues/maybe just me not understanding certain things:

So, after an awesome run on god of war I decided to try out some different combinations.  I was going 17-4, 10-2 and many other great scores so I decided to try out some stuff to see if I could get better or if I was missing out on things.

This game has a lot of depth on the surface but when you get down to it, it's really really simplistic.  

There are tons of armor sets, but there's only one set worth using if you're on aries side, and that's gladiator.  I put on aries armor and all my health was gone like instantly, but the amount of damage I get barely even helps.  Since I'm aries, there's only 2 sets of armor that even remotely make sense out of the what...4?  5?  available.  I know I've said it before but I'm now comparing armor at level 3, and it's shocking how godly gladiator is, but the rest of the armor really, really sucks.  With gladiator armor, I was taking on 3 players at once and beating them all.  With aries armor I got half my health taken away by 3 light attacks... 

Weapons are disappointing too.  It's pretty much the same way, except as aries his sword/hammer are the only ones worth using.  They both have 100 str with no other stats but all the other swords/hammers have insanely low stats.  If you decide to pain through the low stats and see what specials they have, the specials are god aweful too.  The ram hammer had 70 damage at level 1, at level 2 it had 45... it has alright specials but weapons like the gladiator hammer has 40 damage at 1, 45 at 2, 50 at 3 while the aries weapons have 70 at 1, 75 at 2 and 100 at 3.  Now that's some leveling... 

I tried the barbarian hammer and the gladiator hammer today and it wasn't worth it at all, the stats on both are so low, and while barbarian hammer is more balanced like the gladiator armor its specials are terrible.  The gladiator hammer doesn't have any defense which is odd because the rest of the "set" has attack and defense.  

I only tried aries sword aside from the standard 2h sword.  I hated the specials with those weapons and there's no real difference in either the swords or the hammers.  I was expecting hammers to be a bit slower and stronger and swords to be faster but a bit weaker..but that's not the case, the only difference is the hold square button, which on hammers is useless because it applies a DoT  that does literally no damage at all.  

I'm surprised that armor sets don't have a bonus...like + certain stats for 2, 3 and 4 pieces to a set such as having a full ares set (helm, top, pants and weapon) grants extra strength and/or defense.  Obviously not much, but enough to make you want to use a full set.  

Another thing I'd like to discuss is kill stealing.  I know this happens in a lot of games, but it's ANNOYING AS HELL in this game.  Seriously.  I'll be attacking someone and beating the holy hell out of them, and then suddenly someone comes along and thinks they need to help me out.  You'll be attacking someone and a team mates comes along and gets into a position in which you can't attack the enemy and get your kill back.  Seriously sometimes idk wth is going on.  There will be 3 of us attacking one guy and I'll try to get hits off and while I think I'm hitting him he's losing no health.  We'll all be beating the crap out of him and he'll be losing less health than one of us just doing a combo.  I'll even use attacks that knock them up into the air or attacks that cover a long range and the team mate(s) will step in and get into a position where I can't even deal damage to the guy I just put 90% of the damage into.

Zeus's class seems really strong.  The magic is really good and they seem to be able to get magic really easily.  On top of that they have really strong melee as well...a good zeus is extremely godly.  They can melee the crap out of you and if you start getting the upper hand they can activate their item or use magic to really turn the tide. 

I got super annoyed with it, and on top of ALL of that I kept running into people who wouldn't be able to get grappled or knocked away or w/e.  Really ruins the game when people can just juggernaut their way through your attacks and beat the holy hell out of you.  Another thing that seems really common is people can grapple you while you're holding the roll button but they can still grapple you a while after or even BEFORE you roll.  There have been several times where I'll be thinking about rolling and then boom, I'm getting grappled.  

Another thing worth mentioning is the R1 button confusion.  If they aren't on the same ground as you, you can't perform a brutal kill or a grapple.  There was someone on a ledge that was probably 3 inches lower than the ground I was on and I tried so many times to brutal kill him but by the time I got there he magically got up off the ground and killed ME instead... which was ridiculous because he had like no health.  Not only that, but when you're around chests or items the game has no idea what you want to do and that'll throw you off by a lot.  You'll try to brutal kill or grapple and you'll halt and open a chest.  Or you'll run up and pick up a weapon but instead you throw your chain at the air when no one's around or throw your chain and are parried because you didn't pick up the weapon.  

And pulling people off the wall or dropping off the wall.  Pulling people off the wall just kind of makes them fall down without taking damage, it should be an actual attack but have the same amount of damage if there is any.  Dropping off the wall is odd.. you just spin in a 360 and fall, but your character still looks as if he's propped up on the wall.

Sorry about all the crazy text colors.  I had an issue with the OP when I made this on the original GoW forum and I just copied and pasted this text from the original forum...

Bugs Continued:

Protal on desert of lost souls - Very hard to jump in, usually takes multiple tries

Aries inferno - People can evade at the right time to avoid taking damage and launching into the air, even if they are in the center but it is more common for them to do it on the out most ring of the spell.  Very annoying in 1v1s when they can just dodge it even if they're inside it and then take advantage of you.  Plus, when moving over objects like walls you need to climb it's very slow and clunky.

Players met - The game currently doesn't track the "players met"

Bugs (12.20.12):

Weapon glow (hold square with hammers) is messed up when climbing walls.  Shines where it shouldn't

Discussion (12.20.12):

I don't think the evade option should allow you to be immune to all damage.  It should be used to escape the line of fire, not to abuse for invincibility.  This makes it very annoying when using attacks and magic and people just evade withing your line of fire rather than evading away. 

There's a problem with the desert of lost souls map.  At the health fountain if you run up towards the left command post (left side of the map) when fighting there you will ahve to jump over the ledge to escape, rather than just walking from the bridge to the spike trap. 

Message 1 of 103 (636 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1868 posts

Re: Beta feedback roundup thread.

Dec 12, 2012

Its a beta give it time thats what betas are for. Probably once the plus member or on the 17th people get into the beta, we might see those features.

Message 2 of 103 (632 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9807 posts

Dec 12, 2012
The beta is for feedback, and that's exactly what I provided. This isn't my first beta, but I do appreciate your input.

I cannot stress the importance of this, but as long as they realize how important it is, the job is done.
Message 3 of 103 (629 Views)
First Son
12 posts

Dec 13, 2012

Great game but only able to complete every other match or so without it loosing connection to host no voice chat would a 5 sec warning to finish loadout but overall gameplay is smooth 

Message 4 of 103 (554 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Dec 13, 2012

The beta is pretty smooth most of the time, i've just noticed that sometimes the final execution doesn't work.

Message 5 of 103 (528 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9807 posts

Dec 14, 2012
I updated the OP with my opinions so far, and a few bugs I've found.
Message 6 of 103 (513 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9807 posts

Dec 14, 2012
For some reason I leveled up a hammer and the attack cut in half? It was 75 damage with 80 cooldown and now it's 85 cooldown and 40 damage
Message 7 of 103 (507 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9807 posts

Dec 14, 2012
armor is pretty obvious really... you either use armor + damage or just extremely high damage + some armor... the more balanced armor helps so much more than the super strength armor.
Message 8 of 103 (493 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5724 posts

Dec 14, 2012
Amusing. I've sorted through a few more SP videos and have begun reviewing Beta coverage.
Message 9 of 103 (493 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9807 posts

Dec 14, 2012
I hope the armor/weapons get more complex...and not complex as in sort of high one stat and then one helpful random stat. Having the ability to find rare secret weapons/armor would be nice.

So far, I've noticed that they try to keep armor balanced as in, just because you're high level doesn't mean you get better armor, it just depends on luck and what you accomplish. That's nice, but I'm really hoping for some godly equips later on through the game. Such as level 1-10 weapons you have your standard str, str + def, elemental, etc... then once you start leveling up not only do those stats get stronger but there's a chance that you can gain other stats as well with more random stats such as str + def + cooldown, def + elemental + health etc.

I'm still torn between super str + small def or decent str + decent def. Doesn't seem to be much of a difference between them other than how long you live. You don't gain much strength from his armor I think the stat cap is pretty low for that, I seem to do the same amount of damage using gladiator armor. When I use gladiator armor you gain much more def and it's very noticable.

Not sure how I feel at the moment. When the game plays properly I love it, but I was just in a free for all where there were 3 people and when I went to fight someone, the other guy would wait until one of us is low health and they'll knock the other one away and steal both kills. Ring outs happen to me ALL THE TIME. I was fighting this guy once and suddenly my character just goes flying off the map incredibly far and he didn't have a world weapon. I'll get into situations where the enemy doesn't get knocked back by my knock back attacks, enemies will be able to grapple me before I even roll or run...it's like they instinctively know I'm going to do it before I do but the thing is, I'll be pushing the dodge button to dodge and before I actually do it, they hook me. Block/parry seems useless most of the time for me. I get parried a lot but when I do it, they break through my parry.

Hell, if I use a heavy attack or L1 + square or triangle I'll get stunned and they'll go flying, but if I try to parry their attacks, they just break through it no problem. A lot of situations in this game make it feel one sided, like they're able to do things that I'm not. That takes a lot of the fun away and adds a huge amount of frustration.
Message 10 of 103 (486 Views)
0 Likes