Do you mean 
Jan 26 2013
By: FieryCaptain Hekseville Citizen 296 posts

Customization and why there probably won't be female characters

15 replies 226 views Edited Jan 26, 2013

Dated back to April 30th 2012, Creative Director Todd Papy explains;

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/30/god-of-war-ascension-multiplayer/

Excerpt

"It's unclear what other modes will be made available, but Papy notes that the God of War engine is now retooled to feature eight-player multiplayer, opening the door to possibilities never before seen in the series. Each character is built on the animation rig established for Kratos, Papy says, explaining why there are no female characters available in Ascension. Female characters just look strange with that rig, he claims, laughing.

Battles have the same visual flair of any of Kratos' adventures, and seem more brutal than ever. Battling characters are sliced in half, guts pour out of their wounds, and blood paints the canyon battlefield.

Customization is a major focus in Ascension, Papy tells me. When the multiplayer mode begins, players go through trials as a tutorial and face off against an enemy they have no chance of defeating. In order to gain victory, players must sell their champion's soul to one of four gods: Zeus, Hades, Ares, or Poseidon. This decision allows players to try out different weapons, armor sets, and perks, inspired by the god of their choice.

"Once you chose your allegiance, you can customize how you want to look," Papy explains. "There's actually six different places you can customize your armor: boots, skirts, gauntlets, chest piece, shoulder piece, and helmet. You can do what you want." Like other persistent character multiplayer titles, Ascension allows Champions to evolve with new items, looks, and even specials and combos over time, each with a tilt based on the god selected for your character.

Papy said his team didn't want to include Kratos or other known gods in the multiplayer mode to avoid situations where everyone selects the same character. "I don't want red Kratos, blue Kratos, yellow Kratos, that sort of thing. That's not interesting," Papy says. Selecting known gods also sets aside any availability for customization, forcing players to fit their play styles for established roles rather than carve out the hero they want. "It's that customization. It's that kind of flair that brings the wild card to the table," he says. It also helps to balance the game when players are pitted against each other."

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 16 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Santa Monica Studio Community Strategist
404 posts

Re: Customization and why there probably won't be female characters

Jan 26, 2013

There will not be female warriors in Ascension's Multiplayer. Unfortunately, as we explained prior, technical limitations were the primary reason. We did try this and test it out, but it would have required 2X the work we've already done to make happen.

Not this round. Thank you for understanding.

-Tank

Follow me @Just_Tank and @SonySantaMonica

Every day is community day!
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 16 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Jan 26, 2013

Just-Tank, I see... It's too much of a work to make even the Amazons.

Could you guys implement these women in the next GoW?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 16 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4057 posts

Jan 26, 2013

Just--Tank wrote:

There will not be female warriors in Ascension's Multiplayer. Unfortunately, as we explained prior, technical limitations were the primary reason. We did try this and test it out, but it would have required 2X the work we've already done to make happen.

-Tank

A for effort m8 :smileywink:

photo Sig_zps70d8d3f0.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 16 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Jan 26, 2013

At least they know it is a highly requested addition to the game and commented on it. Maybe next game . I'm happy about the customization :-)

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 16 (174 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
388 posts

Jan 26, 2013

Just--Tank wrote:

-Tank

What I've been explaining in several threads for the past month... Maybe now we'll stop seeing the same thread over and over again. *Prays to the gods*

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 16 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 26, 2013

I never expected it for Ascension anyways.  I was hoping to see females for the next GoW game.  I'm sure there will be more.

@kb4983:  Nothing forces you to read all these threads about women.  Shut your eyes.....take a few deep breaths.....and hit that scroll button to look on to the next thread.  See?  I knew you could get through it.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 16 (156 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Jan 26, 2013

Dreissea wrote:

I never expected it for Ascension anyways.  I was hoping to see females for the next GoW game.  I'm sure there will be more.

@kb4983:  Nothing forces you to read all these threads about women.  Shut your eyes.....take a few deep breaths.....and hit that scroll button to look on to the next thread.  See?  I knew you could get through it.

Thats what I said. If you don't care or don't want to read about a subject then don't click on that thread. It is in the subject and you weren't tricked into talking about it. Yet in other posts you have also stated you are interested in the  feature as well.  We are just letting them know what we want as fans.  Looks like you also support this yet you come in each thread gripping about it being brought up. ( below from one of your previous posts)   There are ideas on here that I don't agree with or don't care about. I don't intentionally go into that thread and say " why is this still being brought up".  I just don't click on the thread. Everyone has their own opinions and wants from the game. Everyone else needs to learn to respect them.

"

In order to get female Champions in the game the team would have to create double the animations and double the armor sets and etc... having female Champions is not going to be possible in this installment.

It'd be cool if they could add them in a sequel though. Having Amazon-style Champions on the battlefield would be awesome!"

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 16 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4057 posts

Jan 26, 2013

Dreissea wrote:

It was a good push, however. At least they understood the whole customization thing. I love them for that.

photo Sig_zps70d8d3f0.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 16 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Jan 26, 2013

@d1v4d  Not to change the subject, but I clicked on your sig hoping to be directed to the Facebook page.  Might look into joining a clan at some point, and wanted to check them out.  It only takes me to the picture page, though.  :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 16 (135 Views)
0 Likes