Jan 13 2013
By: arbitor365 Lombax Warrior 83 posts

Cyclops execution is a beginner’s trap

16 replies 369 views Edited Jan 13, 2013

Shot#70.png

Shot#73251.png

ok, I have a little anecdote here. I consider myself a decent player but I never really tried to execute the Cyclops myself until recently. I tended to relegate that honor to a team mate, while protecting them.

But my first time doing so I got a particularly nasty surprise. I grabbed the spear zapped the beast, as I have seen others do, and I got him into the stun position. Excited, I darted over to where his head lay to deliver the final blow. And this is where I ran straight into a major problem.

I couldn’t help but notice the shiny, rotating red circle above his head. After playing through 5 god of war games, it is instinctual for me that “O” enacts finishing moves on boss battles. So I naturally assumed that this was some sort of callback or nod to the classic god of war style.

So, I pressed “O” and of course, nothing happened, because I simply fired my spear. Now, in this literal 2 second timeframe, an enemy player pulled the fire trap, killing me, just as I realized that the icon was not, in fact, an O button, but an eye icon, that looks virtually identical to it, and that I was expected to use grapple on the boss, instead.

But you can obviously see how someone would make a mistake like that, especially if they are like me and have played so many god of war games.

So, to make a long story short, we lost the match and what could have been one of my greatest GOW ascension moments was ruined, all because of a deceiving, pointless icon.

Obviously, I don’t intend to make the same mistake again, but really now. Its quite absurd to have an “o” looking symbol in that place, when it has traditionally been the button that people used for 8 years, to finish off bosses. Its just a beginner’s trap that doesn’t need to be there.

Message 1 of 17 (369 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Re: Cyclops execution is a beginner’s trap

Jan 13, 2013
That eye looks nothing like the circle button, and if you know how to do a brutal kill you should know how to execute the cyclopes, it is the same exact red halo as the ones over stunned players.
Message 2 of 17 (353 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2333 posts

Jan 13, 2013

I hate the new QTE prompts in this game. They're confusing to players and they really don't belong after so many games where we've become accustomed to certain prompts.

I hate the red arc and the white arc is even worse and the majority of people have no clue what it's for. The prompts in God of War 3 were much better and more intuitive.

This is just change for the sake of change and not well executed.

Message 3 of 17 (352 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
83 posts

Jan 13, 2013

leodacat wrote:
That eye looks nothing like the circle button

except being the same exact shape and color

Message 4 of 17 (339 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Jan 13, 2013

arbitor365 wrote:

leodacat wrote:
That eye looks nothing like the circle button

except being the same exact shape and color

The Circle button is black and glowing orange, the eye is red white and black, and also shaped like an eye.

Message 5 of 17 (322 Views)
Monster Hunter
43 posts

Jan 13, 2013

That is totally a Circle I don't know where the hell this "eye" thing is coming from.

Yeah, it should be the same Icon as player brutal kills, or simply the button you press floating above the beast.  Or nothing, instead of a slightly misleading RED CIRCLE SHAPED EYE

Message 6 of 17 (290 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jan 13, 2013

I honestly didn't have a problem figuring out I needed to grapple it the first time I killed it.  I noticed the halo and since in combat the halo indicates using the grapple that's what  I did.   You just have to approach this as a MP variation to GOW and not think everything is related to the campaign.  There are new functions due to gameplay limitations IMO.

Message 7 of 17 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
43 posts

Jan 13, 2013

Simply removing the Eye will help wonders in this, as it's extremely missleading.

I got people shouting PRESS CIRCLE over my shoulder, and I"m spamming it and it don't do jack.

Message 8 of 17 (274 Views)
Lombax Warrior
137 posts

Jan 13, 2013

They explain in the tutorial what the halos mean and that the red one's mean a brutal kill. The same halo is over the cyclops and the eye is shown because it represent's the cyclops. I don't know how anyone after their second match could be confused by this.

Message 9 of 17 (267 Views)
0 Likes
SIEA
415 posts

Jan 13, 2013

It's an eye, a VERY BIG EYE icon, nothing like the GoW red circle prompt...

http://www.godofwar.com/modes/favorofthegods/

-Tank

Follow me @Just_Tank and @SonySantaMonica

Every day is community day!
Message 10 of 17 (238 Views)
0 Likes