Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 29 2013
By: SparklyKitten Lombax Warrior 190 posts

DEFENDER - favour gain from defending objectives against enemies

[ Edited ]
19 replies 166 views Edited Apr 29, 2013

I was reading a post by P4e about not feeling like you have a significant impact on the game as a Poseidon player.

Honestly, if I play tank/support Poseidon, and I focus on holding an area while waiting for back-up, the end of the game seriously doesn't reflect the hard work you've put in fending off attackers from taking an alter.

sheild

So I propose to you all: the "DEFENDER" mechanic

WHAT DOES IT DO?

In 4v4 TFotG when an alter is captured, all allied units around the alter become flagged as defenders.  What this means that within a certain radius of the alter, the defending warrior is able to gain (either combat or objective; alternatively a DEFENSE section for favour could be included in 4v4 TFotG) favour for defending the alter.

For each enemy within the radius attempting to attain the alter, the defender will get "x" amount of favour.  For each ally defending the alter (also within the radius), the favour gained is reduced.  

FOR EXAMPLE:

1 ALLY is defending an alter.  1 ENEMY is attacking the player within the radius of the alter.  The ALLY gets 12 favour every 15 seconds the ENEMY player is within the radius also.  If 2 ENEMY players are attacking whilst the ALLY is defending, this favour doubles.  3 ENEMIES, the favour triples, etc.

If 2 ALLIES are defending an alter and 1 ENEMY is attacking, both ALLIES recieve 6 favour every 15 seconds.  3 ALLIES and 1 ENEMY, the ALLIES receive 4 favour every 15 seconds.

And so on and so forth.

The numbers are just general examples to show how the mechanic could work and would be balanced to some extent.  I was also thinking that alternatively to encourage team offensives, the DEFENDER favour could ONLY be gained if the number of ENEMIES attacking is greater than the amount of ALLIES defending.  So if it's a fair fight at an alter (1v1, 2v2 etc.), the DEFENDER favour would be negated until 1 ALLY is killed or leaves the alter radius.

With this mechanic introduced to the game, players like myself who excel at defending a position and keeping it out of the oppositions grasp, while still surviving a heated battle would be rewarded for their efforts, and it would show the significance they had on the battle.  

This mechanic could be included to work for not only 4v4 TFotG but CTF as well, gaining DEFENDER favour for protecting the flag. 

So what do you think about this concept? Would you like to see something like this included? Or do you think it would have a negative effect on the game?

Feel free to discuss alternatives or changes you think could be made to this mechanic to make it more balanced while encouraging players to search for battle, the last thing I want to happen from this is to have lobbies where all players sit and defend, but that's where favour being gained when fighting overwhelming odds comes in.  

Also keep in mind that numbers related to favour gained and the time period for it is irrelevent, it's the concept that I want you to focus on. 

Cheers

SparklyKitten

--------------------------------------------------
"Can you stand on your head?"

photo SparklyKitten3.jpg
Message 1 of 20 (166 Views)
Last Guardian
11718 posts

Re: DEFENDER - favour gain from defending objectives against enemies

Apr 29, 2013

^excellent post

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 20 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1499 posts

Apr 29, 2013

Nice, in honor of P4E, I'm going to go full healer on my Poseidon today and see how I do :smileytongue:

Signature Quote:
I love Leia, especially the way she extends my staff
Message 3 of 20 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
193 posts

Apr 29, 2013

Great idea! Although they would have to do it right. Or it could turn into a mad amount of favor. Games honestly dont last too long as it is, they would be much shorter depending on the amount givin for defending and what not. Perhaps they uped the limit to 10k to get the full effect of this mechanic? Kudos for the effort on this post. 

photo 6e5ea368-f52c-4a8a-92c3-d6fa88712326_zpsb5ad9824.jpg
Message 4 of 20 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11718 posts

Apr 29, 2013

@sov

thx :3 if u need help feel free to ask!

@ gatz

It would be tricky but possible I think

Message 5 of 20 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
533 posts

Apr 29, 2013
I like the idea, but then there will be a lot of "campers" that can tank 2 or more players and get a lot of favor, and that is not what the game is supose to reward, the game rewards combat and chest farming instead (wich i dont like).

Is hard to reward a good defender, as it is in games like WoW (Arathi basin for exapmle)

What they do in WoW is to reward players defending the captured "post" with an increase in honor (favor in GOWA) when you kill someone inside the radius of the said buff. thats encourages players to stay within range of the extra honor buff.

The thing is i dont thing this can happen in this game, as you can be pwned 90% of the time when more than 2 players engages you in combat because you are alone defending.

A system rewarding defensive players is hard to implement, but this post is the begining
Message 6 of 20 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Apr 29, 2013
Very nice plan :smileywink:
Message 7 of 20 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
296 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 29, 2013

We've been asking for Defender points since beta. There should be both attacking and defending points IMO anyways, just like assist points.

Like someone said there are greater rewards for simply opening chests, overall I think the chests hurt the game way too much, they detract from what should be the focal point of the game and that is combat... Especially when the game only features 4 team mates and 3 cap points Chests make even less sense...

Message 8 of 20 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
533 posts

Apr 29, 2013
^Exactly. Chest hunting is realy hurting this game
when i play with my Ares (40) i dont see the point to go for chests, and as i dont like to go chest hunt i only go for combat and cos thats what i like the most.

Objectives are good for the game diversity, but they are just too rewarding right now.

How many times you needed help and your mate abandon you just to obtain that red chest or white chest, oh man, i HATE that
Message 9 of 20 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11718 posts

Apr 29, 2013

^worse is when I grapple save and the guy leaves me to die 3v1....

Message 10 of 20 (117 Views)
0 Likes