Dec 19 2012
By: Poofbrother First Son 17 posts

Day 1 First Impressions

3 replies 65 views Edited Dec 19, 2012

Hey ya'll I couldn't find a good place to tell my impressions of the game so I made a new thread. Feel free to reply to what I say, or just post your own impressions.

After finally making room on my PS3 for the beta to download I was able to play today.

My first thought was that I was bummed that Poseidon is locked right now because he is my favorite olympian and I was hoping to learn more about his path in the game. 

The tutorial/God selection was very enjoyable, the statues are gorgeous and the game does a good job of showing all of your options for battle. 

I first played a few games of Free for All Favor. I got the first kill but then things became a lot more even. The map was fun and I liked how the wall spikes are there like they were in GoW3. 

Combat feels pretty good in my opinion, except for a few small things:
When trying to parry it is very easy to just jump and block if L1 and X are pressed to close together. I found myself holding down L1 for a second before X for the best results.

I also got a little frustrated on time when I had a mace world weapon and would go to attack an enemy, we would both do "heavy attacks" (Triangle for him, O for me) and his hammer had both and longer reach and quicker swing than the world weapon mace. I understand one being better, but if the mace is a power up it should have some advantage. 

My favorite thing about multiplayer combat is knowing how you got beat. I can usually say after a battle "I should've parried there" or "I should've dodged" and I think this helps make the gameplay feel satisfying and deaths more of a learning experience. I'm still learning the tricks of this game, so I don't always know why the other player was better than me, this can lead to some thinking it is unbalanced. 

I know combat still has a lot of balancing to be done so I can overlook most the the problems I have with it. 

Gameplay: 
For Team Favor especially I would like to see more explanations. My team was dominating and I had the Spear of Olympus, but I couldn't figure out where I should be attacking Polyphenus, so I ended up running around the map until I finally died. I haven't seen the cinematic kill with the SoO yet.

Perhaps while the game is loading you can show a few pictures that show key spots on the map and how to interact with them. This would help a ton because I jumped to my death on the lower level trying to use a green sphere I saw floating in the air. 

I only had 1 crash right before a Team Favor game, I was spinning my character then something stuttered and everything froze. After a few minutes I manually restarted the console. 

Loving my time with the game so far, keep up the hard work!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (65 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9466 posts

Re: Day 1 First Impressions

[ Edited ]
Dec 20, 2012

The titan kill is pretty easy and they tell you how to do it actually.

When you get the spear you can kill players with it, or you can kill the beast.

If you choose to kill the beat you can go anywhere on the top of the map and start shooting at him. After a while, he'll fall over and have a red halo over his head.

After that, if you have 7k+ points you'll enter a game winning cutscene. If you have less than 7k, you'll simply kill the beast but still have to finish the game and there will be no cool cutscene.

This is a major turning point because whoever does kill him gets 1k points..

edit:  Also, they have a little icon that shows you what you're supposed to hit too, sticks out quite a bit.  It's a giant eyeball. 

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (51 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Dec 20, 2012

Thanks for the info! 

I saw the red eye and tried throwing the spear a few times but I didn't any signs of damage so I just started killing the other team. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (44 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9466 posts

Dec 20, 2012
Just hit him repeatedly, probably not his hands but at least in the chest/head area.

Killing people with it is an amazing idea. As long as you know how to survive.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (41 Views)
0 Likes