Wastelander
869 posts

Re: At risk of sounding like a whiner

Apr 17, 2013

I tried knocking my Upload down to 2. I hesitated to go to 1 since I hear gaming needs to be at least 2 but I may try that.

My router's QoS is listed under "Intellistream" and only allows it to be enabled and to set the DL/UL speeds. There are no other options anywhere. I suppose we can fiddle a bit more with it, but I'll just follow your lead so I await the PM Smiley Happy Accept my friend request already! lol

Message 21 of 30 (434 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4319 posts

Apr 17, 2013

SirCrush wrote:

I tried knocking my Upload down to 2. I hesitated to go to 1 since I hear gaming needs to be at least 2 but I may try that.

My router's QoS is listed under "Intellistream" and only allows it to be enabled and to set the DL/UL speeds. There are no other options anywhere. I suppose we can fiddle a bit more with it, but I'll just follow your lead so I await the PM Smiley Happy Accept my friend request already! lol

Whoops, PS3 hasn't been on (being in the military is not often conducive to gaming), but I'll flip it on real quick to do that.  And yes, there's always more to fiddle with.  The 2 Mb thing is a myth.  Some of the best players I know are on horrible, horrible connections - some even below a 1Mb upload.  Sadly, the faster your connection, the more issues it can cause, especially when it comes to this **bleep** buffer bloat.

But yeah, when I get a chance to ramble on, we'll see what we can do.  

----------------------
She's going to have to fall on her sword. Which means that we have to stick one in the ground, trip her onto it and get someone to jump up and down on her back for ten minutes. --

Malcolm Tucker. Modern day saint.
Message 22 of 30 (432 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
869 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 17, 2013

(I've been posting most of this stuff publicly so maybe people with these same issues can relate and/or find a way out of the misery...apologies to people who don't care or aren't interested.)

So my router went all crazy and disconnected earlier. I used that opportunity to tweak the QoS again, down to 1.8 Upload. I have been running smoothly ever since. This may be an anomaly but agaiinst people I have NORMALLY lagged against, I did not lag. Hits landed clean, as did theirs on me.

Just got into another match with a friend that, when he is in my party, I normally lag. Didn't happen. I'll reserve judgement for another day or so. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far though. GOD I hope this is the problem and I am finding a fix at last! lol

It also might be time of day. It IS 3am!

Message 23 of 30 (426 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4319 posts

Apr 18, 2013

SirCrush wrote:

(I've been posting most of this stuff publicly so maybe people with these same issues can relate and/or find a way out of the misery...apologies to people who don't care or aren't interested.)

So my router went all crazy and disconnected earlier. I used that opportunity to tweak the QoS again, down to 1.8 Upload. I have been running smoothly ever since. This may be an anomaly but agaiinst people I have NORMALLY lagged against, I did not lag. Hits landed clean, as did theirs on me.

Just got into another match with a friend that, when he is in my party, I normally lag. Didn't happen. I'll reserve judgement for another day or so. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far though. GOD I hope this is the problem and I am finding a fix at last! lol

It also might be time of day. It IS 3am!

For me certain modes were always a lagfest, CTF being chief among them.  I hadn't played a low lag match in CTF until I made those changes.   So if you have one like that, then that's a good test or as you said, people you normally suffer intense lag when you're around.

You said your upload was around 5 megabits or so and you had cut it to half.  Mine is usually around 10 - 12 Mb and I gutted my upload to 2.5 or whatever it currently is.  That's a hefty cut and in a lot of the troubleshooting I read they said it wasn't necessary to go that extreme with it, but I figured I'd rather really reduce the amount of data buffering, especially if you have multiple devices on the same connection or live in a high traffic area like  a dorm or apartment building.

So, it could be that you simply hadn't cut your upload down enough.  The thing to keep in mind is that this doesn't get rid of all issues, but it can help.  But keep updating on how it's going for you and like I said, I'll get back to you when I can with a lengthy troubleshooting guide.

----------------------
She's going to have to fall on her sword. Which means that we have to stick one in the ground, trip her onto it and get someone to jump up and down on her back for ten minutes. --

Message 24 of 30 (397 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
869 posts

Apr 18, 2013

lol I may have just done a quick fix. Gonna need more testing though.

I unplugged my PS3 from my router and straight into my Modem. Luckily, I have an extra Ethernet slot so my router stays plugged in. Unfortunately, I have yet to figure out how to log in to my modem and do port forwarding or DMZ. I won't DMZ my modem anyways. Still, the game FEELS much different...I've had one match with lag so far and in that match, enemies seemed to be lagged too. This has never happened before. I felt like I was on even ground.

If needed, I'll go into my modem and setuip QoS or Port Forwarding. For now...5 matches deep...seems different at least.

Message 25 of 30 (375 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1499 posts

Apr 18, 2013

I lag rarely, just yesterday was almost all day. i have a 5mb connection I think (Unlimited DL speed is 500kb per second and can DL 1GB in 30-45 on my PS3), I don't know how to do any DMZ crap as I don't know my username or password, ALSO my PS3 thinks my modem is a router cause it's all in one(modem, router, wi-fi) so i should be NAT type 1 too.....I'd understand the lag if it only happened when my mom was on FB at same time I'm playing but i've had lag w/o her being on.

Signature Quote:
I love Leia, especially the way she extends my staff
Message 26 of 30 (367 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
869 posts

Apr 18, 2013

Yeah after many matches with friends and without, this game feels COMPLETELY different. I have "lag spikes" where a time or two during a match, I'll lag and hit registration sucks but the rest of the match it's perfectly fine. I should've ran through my modem in the first place.

I assume those spikes are the normal bufferbloat you mentioned before. Idunno what's up with my router. I connection test just fine through it but entire GAMES are lag-filled for me, and many in succession. All I know is this game feels like a new game and I am loving the holy hell out of it!

I'll bet other games are just like this...Uncharted 3 I experienced lag most matches tooo and it hurt my KDR in coompetitive modes considerably. I shall have to try it again.

Message 27 of 30 (353 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4319 posts

Apr 19, 2013

Ethernet cable directly to your PS3 from your modem should always be your first test.  If you don't have any issues, then you know it's probably something in your router settings or how your router is handling the flow of data.

The downside is this isn't an option when your modem is both a router and a modem, a configuration I can't stand.  You're likely to always see an improvement when plugging directly to the modem because now you've removed a step that has to filter and process your data, which always takes time, and you've essentially DMZ'd your PS3 since there's no router firewall in the way, which is all a DMZ does - place the ip address of whichever device outside the firewall.  Direct connection also takes you from NAT 2 to NAT 1 unless the modem is doing something funky (like a modem / router combo).  

You're also not letting other devices on your network hog bandwidth or affect it, so that helps.  

If you only see a minimal gain when connecting directly to the modem or none at all, then you know the router isn't the problem.  That then leads you to possible line issues, the ISP itself, or errors along the hops that the data has to travel.

Unfortunately, if you have other devices you want to use the internet, the direct to PS3 option is less than ideal, of course.

----------------------

Message 28 of 30 (339 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
869 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 22, 2013

UPDATE - The crazy thing is I bought my router before I upgraded my internet. Once my internet upgraded, Time Warner had to repplace my modem cuz it couldn't handle the new speeds I was going to be running at. So they sent a new modem. This modem happened to be a modem/router combo with 4 ethernet slots in the back. I just ended up hooking up my router cuz I have been experiencing lag on my PS3 for YEARS and had learned this router's settings panels inside and out. The modem was all new to me and I didn't wanna have to RELEARN anything.

Turns out the router WAS the problem. I still get laggy games but they feel WAY different even when latency runs rampant. THings are now MUCH more responsive now that I am directly through the modem and the games where I am at a disadvantage have evaporated from 60% or more down to maybe 20% and I am being harsh...I have gone sometimes through strings of 10-20 matches with little to no lag. AND I can still run my home's other machines through the router I bought. It's been great!

However this morning I got a bunch of laggy games in a row and I figured it was time to set up some DMZ or Port Forwarding. Luckily, as I said, this is a modem router combo so I was able to do that. Unfortunately I can't use my modem/router as a DNS server like I could on my router so I don't know how that will affect the speed, if at all. I am using my ISP provided DNS servers, bout to give this a whirl and see how it feels. Worst case scenario I have to go back to default settings but I don't mind that. I have gotten so much out of this game since I improved my lag. I finally feel like I'm getting my money's worth on this **bleep** superturbointernet I am paying for.

One weird thing about this Modem/Router I have...it asks for a port range on the virtual server/static IP and also a local port range. THis threw me off so I just went with UDP/TCP 1-50000 seeing as all the ports that Sony recommends fall into that range. I then went and did the "port triggering" using their specifically suggested ports, TCP or UDP or both where necessary, but it doesn't ask which IP to trigger those ports on. I am assuming it auto-triggers to the virtual server but I am not sure. All I know is my connection works, now I'm about to see if it works WELL lol

EDIT - One game in, it feels the same. I'm thinking it may be on Sony's servers end today.

Message 29 of 30 (296 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jul 25, 2013
Yeah I feel your pain, The last 2 days the lag stinks. It's not as bad as if you are playing with users outside of the US like in EU servers or South America servers, but all the symptoms as u mentioned in the first post. The server issue is from Sony and not local, other games I get no lag. Sony needs to get dedicated servers. Such a pain in the butt.
Message 30 of 30 (240 Views)
0 Likes