Apr 15 2013
By: SirCrush Wastelander 869 posts
Accepted Solution

Discussion about possible lag fix for fast connections

[ Edited ]
29 replies 634 views Edited Apr 17, 2013

I love playing with good players. I don't mind getting my butt kicked in a fair fight. But lag always seems to be a problem. Guy I was playing with, on mic, said "get better internet" which would be a fair statement if I didn't rock a 40mb/5mb connection, wired, with port forwarding active. I have tried just using DMZ but that doesn't seem to help.

I don't know what causes this lag. I know when I host a party, it's usually non-existant, but many times I still struggle with my parries being cut right through with [] attacks, my attacks landing as they continue to hit me with no recoil of their own, my magic SHOWING on my screen (I usually use the Ares jump) but I am somehow being hit and it doesn't register in game, attacks landing on me from forever away, being unable to evade away from certain attacks that I KNOW are evadeable, the list goes on and on and on.

What troubles me is others don't seem to have these problems. I rarely hit a guy out of range and the attack still connects yet it always happens to me. Hell, every item and more on the list above seems to happen to me but nobody else.

There are many matches where everyone's attacks land just fine but against good players, these issues make others unbeatable. It's frustrating, to say the least, and I find myself enjoying random games where I destroy newer, less skilled players and that's not my style. If something in a game seems easy, I usually avoid it. But my only other choice is to fight some of my friends with a distinct timing advantage held by them.

I know this long-winded thread will make me seem like a crybaby. I feel like one. **bleep**, I admit to being one right now. I wanna enjoy a battle against good players where their skill beats me, not the lag I suffer from. To be fair, alot of these encounters I do deserve to die or lose. But not all of them. Not nearly. I'd say about half the time I end up getting destroyed because of a failed hit detection or some other lag-induced detriment.

Sorry, I am frustrated. I feel I am a part of this community and I needed to publicly rant. Commence poking fun.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 30 (634 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
739 posts

Re: At risk of sounding like a whiner

Apr 15, 2013
You're not by yourself on this boat sailing down the River Styx. :smileyhappy: I experienced some of the most unbearable lag imaginable Saturday night. Headache inducing lag. An indicator of how good your connection is to the host may calm players down a bit. Many of the flaws in this game are directly related to the lag/latency problem.

This sounds like many of my experiences while playing. I usually try to power through, but I grow weary of doing such. Lol!

"Flesh that burns, bones that break; But to break a man's spirit is to truly destroy him" - Ares, GOW
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 30 (619 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
114 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 15, 2013

STOP CRYING YOU CRYBABY!!! lol maybe you're just unlucky.

If you want to play with me its ok i will add you PSN ID: Spartca

Member of the Demigod Legion

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 30 (617 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1499 posts

Apr 15, 2013

You're not the only one, I've suffered the magic glitch, I hit the guys and they somehow dodge 0.3s after I know hit hits them. I may have a crappy connection too but IDK, only games I've ever DCd a lot is ME3, think my connection is 5 mbps......when I have no download limits, it'S 500KB per second and DLing 1 gb only takes 30-45 min on my PS3

Signature Quote:
I love Leia, especially the way she extends my staff
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 30 (602 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1201 posts

Apr 15, 2013
The speed of your connection has little to do with lag.
What you should look for is high ping, package loss, and jitter.
These three factors are what determent's how much you "lag".
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 30 (596 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
418 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 15, 2013

Crimson_SWE wrote:

How or where do you search for these things??

gowtheartofwar.webs.com
GET READY TO TASTE YOUR OWN BLOOD!

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 30 (562 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4057 posts

Apr 15, 2013

MADatARMS wrote:

Crimson_SWE wrote:

How or where do you search for these things??

Ping is the measurement of how long a device and the recieving server takes to communicate, so it is "connection speed". It's too general of a term for  ping/spikes to not be included.

photo Sig_zps70d8d3f0.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 30 (522 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
869 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 15, 2013

Crimson_SWE wrote:

15ms Ping, very low packet loss. I pay good money for my internets and router :smileytongue:

However I have noticed that when I play alone, I tend to get people who mention what time it is and several times they have mentioned Pacific times. In those games I tend to experience much less delay. But the operative word there is "tend" since sometimes I still have it happen. I'd chalk it all up to "I live in Cali when everyone else lives 2000 miles or more away" but I've had these issues playing with Stripesmarine as well and I know he is somewhat local.

Idunno...I took a nap like a good little crybaby so I am feeling less frustrated right now but that is sure to change once I get in a game where this starts happening again. I can already feel my eyes welling up.

EDIT - Idunno how accurate they are but I ran 3 seperate speed tests. All resulted in 31mb/5mb speed. One had a 14ms ping, the other two had an average of 76ms ping. Is that 76ms the dealbreaker? I don't know. It is worth noting that the second and 3rd speed tests also tested packet loss, of which I had 0.001%. THe bottom line is I am 100% sure that it is not my connection causing this lag.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 30 (514 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5585 posts

Apr 15, 2013
My Connection Is Wi-Fi ...

But The Connection Might Be So Fast It Slows ? .Lol

TLoU GotY 2013 .
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 30 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
869 posts

Apr 15, 2013

stripesmarine wrote:
My Connection Is Wi-Fi ...

But The Connection Might Be So Fast It Slows ? .Lol

I have actually wondered about this...like my DL immediately receives information from slower connections while my upload speed serves those same connections much faster, thus resulting in lag for ME. I don't know enough about WANs to confirm this. I've just wondered.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 30 (490 Views)
0 Likes