Jan 16 2013
By: hey_panda_bear First Son 24 posts

Feedback letter to Developers (Ascension multiplayer beta)

15 replies 236 views Edited Jan 16, 2013

First of all, fantastic job.  You guys actually pulled off multiplayer and I'm hooked.  I've primarily played as the Zeus class and have reached a level 27, so I think I've played enough to have an opinion.  As an avid God of War fan from the very beginning, I feel the combat translated to multiplayer incredibly well.  However, seeing as how this is a beta, I figured the feedback is what you're looking for so here are some suggestions...

1  When playing favor of the gods (8 player), I have pretty much stopped setting traps, for they feel like they take too much time to set with too little chance of reward.  Everyone simply jumps past the fire like second nature and the spikes take so long to pop up that the only time I see a kill is if the area is cluttered with several players battling over a small spot.  It just seems more effective to skip traps and run to the next capture point.

2.  Unless I'm doing something wrong, the chalice of ambrosia is not working.  It breaks an opponent's combo and gives me the health, yet I never recieve the 50+ magic from it.

3. It's still unclear to me of what a team must do to get the "whole team kill's Polyphemus" kill in the end.  I always go after the spear of olympus, and sometimes get the solo "rip his face open" cinematic, but that's it.  No team kill and it doesn't always appear as though we get points for the single player kill of the titan.  Does the team with the spear have to have at least 7000 points?

4.  I never climb the walls up from the lower level because taking the blue portal or chaining up toward the health spawn area is so much faster and rewarding, seeing as how the portal has magic right next to it and the chaining leads to health.  

5.  Anytime I'm near an open area of the outer wall(someplace someone could get knocked out) I always try the "this is sparta" kick to ring out someone, but it's kind of hit or miss.  Sometimes the guy I kick hits an invisible wall and stays in the match and sometimes he falls off.  It's inconsistent enough that I don't feel I can rely on it as a strategic maneuver, though really wish I could cause it feels so rewarding when it works out.

6.  Although I **bleep** love the brutal kills, it is frustrating to sit and wait to attack an enemy who is cutting your teammate in half because he's invincible for the animation.  At this point, it feels more natural for me to run away from an enemy performing a brutal kill on my teammate than to wait to fight him because it's hard to judge when he becomes vulnerable again.  I try to charge a L1 + TRIAGLE with zeus's sword to throw him in the air, but it never registers right after his brutal kill and ultimately I become vulnerable for that half second after my attempt and he gets the drop on me.  I remember running into this issue with Gears of War 1 multiplayer back in the day with the chainsawing.  It's kinda like that.  You don't know when to strike.

7.  Any chance of a ranged attack like the bow of Apollo?  I know you want to avoid spamming of such an attack, but it would sure be nice to have it as a magic ability that I might use once or twice a match to help a teammate a bit too far out of reach just near death.

8.  At the bottom capture point of the map, people are spamming the **bleep** out of an attack.  When I'm capturing that point, often times an enemy on the lower side of that barrier, supposedly out reach from attacking me, pulls the spike lever and uses a magic attack to throw me into the air, landing on the spikes.  The only way to avoid this attack is to use a relic/item that makes me invulnerable for 2-3 seconds before I land on the spikes.  I thought the whole point of the fence barrier below was to keep you safe from people on that level?

9.  Is there any way to dictate which side Polyphemus will be pulled toward to slam or squash any players trying to capture the point on that side?  Sometimes when I pass the upper middle of the map, I'll take a few swipes at his fingers, hoping it will pull him to one side of the map or the other to help protect my team's captured point from enemies trying to capture it.  Maybe that's how to do it but it's still a little unclear to me.

10.  I wish that when I die in the game, I don't have to watch someone else's play cam.  I would love it if the camera would zoom out for a more overall view of the map so I could see what's going on all over the place (where my teammates are, where they need my help, etc.)

11.  The boots of Hermes aren't effective enough that I go out of my way to acquire them.  Yeah, I'm a bit faster than everyone, but I just wish they offered something else.  Now the huge mace/baseball bats that spawn on both sides of the map are totally worth going after.  I seek those out.  I don't seek out the boots.  Just letting you know.

11.  I've pre-ordered the game from Gamestop for the Mythological heroes pack and King Leonidas.  Please, please, please tell me that when King Leonidas does the kick he screams "This is Sparta!"  If not, man, what a missed opportunity.

12.  It's very rare that I feel like I died or "got screwed" because of lag, almost never.  Kudos to you guys.

Thats all I can come up with at this point.  Love the game, guys.  Seriously, this is just nitpicking.  Keep doin' what you're doin'.  I hope this was helpful!

gamertag:

hey_panda_bear

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 16 (236 Views)
Lombax Warrior
205 posts

Re: Feedback letter to Developers (Ascension multiplayer beta)

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2013

2. You're right about the Chalice of Ambrosia. It does not supply magic as intended and probably won't until the full game.

3. Yes, your team needs at least 7000 points when you grapple him to get the match ending cutscene.

4. You're right about it being faster, but the walls are safer because people rarely position themselves near the top of them. The portal leaves you open for attack, which can be a problem. The chain is slightly safer at the moment because the game indicates if a player is above you.

5. To guarantee they fall off the cliff, you'll need to get them in the air, even just a little. For instance, the Minotaur Hammer's [L1 + Square] sends them up enough for a quick kick off the cliff. Although you might as well grapple launch them in that case.

6. I definitely know what you mean here. I usually just sit tight at a safe distance. If I'm using the Cerberus Blade, I try to set a flaming circle beneath them so that they get burned the moment it gives them control again. At the very least they have to dodge it.

7. I'd love a ranged magic attack. I'm hoping Hades or Poseidon will have one.

8. My only advice here is to go with a teammate who can keep them busy or fight them before you attempt to claim the altar. At least you can see their name before they get close enough. Never sprint at the bottom of the map. You're open for grapples.

11. I don't believe you become Leonidas. You're just wearing a replica of his armor. So, no Gerard Butler in this game.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 16 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5585 posts

Jan 16, 2013

@hey_panda_bear I Really Like #11 !!! This Is Blasphemy, This Is Madness!  You Know The Rest .Lol

This Thread Should Get The Longevity It Deserves !

I Wish I Could Give You A +2 Kudos, But Sadly I Can't .

You Are The Hero I Was Told Would Ascend To The Height Of Glory !!!

May I Have The Option Of Adding You As A PSN Friend Your Honor ?

TLoU GotY 2013 .
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 16 (223 Views)
0 Likes
Santa Monica Studio Community Strategist
402 posts

Jan 17, 2013

This is a GREAT post, thank you for this stripes...

-Tank

Follow me @Just_Tank and @SonySantaMonica

Every day is community day!
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 16 (192 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5585 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 17, 2013

@Just--Tank *This Honor Is Too Much For stripesmarine* .Lol

Actually hey_there_panda Deserves It !

He Or She .Lol

Has Really Solid Points That Need To Be Given The Time Of Day To Read .

Also @Goldhawk1 Does As Well As @metlgearsolid200, & @Lord-Kratos23 !

I Feel Like A Lesser Warrior Compared To These Insightful & Honorable Warriors !

TLoU GotY 2013 .
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 16 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
137 posts

Jan 17, 2013

12- I constantly see people dominating due to a better network connection, you can tell because they don't respond to hits or one move will deal the damage of two and things like that I've been on the winning side of that situation as well but it isn't satisfying. Sometimes moves just don't work or I'll somehow grapple a guy halfway across the map. Granted with any MP game there's bound to be connection issues and hopefully this will be tightened up for the full release.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 16 (171 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Jan 17, 2013

@stripes-dude, of course you can add me as a friend.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 16 (143 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5585 posts

Jan 17, 2013

@hey_there_panda stripesmarine Is Not Worthy ! .Lol

Do You Know Right Now Your Aligned God Choice ?

Please Don't Align To Ares, Seems Like Everyone Wants To Align To Him .Lol

TLoU GotY 2013 .
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 16 (133 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Jan 17, 2013

Nah, I'm straight up Zeus alignment.  Gotta have that magic!  Plus I hear that Zeus alignment will have an ability that lets you set traps that the enemy can't undo by kicking over the lever.  They have to trigger it to reset it before they can set the traps themselves.  Thanks for getting my feedback letter noticed by the way.  How'd you do that?  

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 16 (129 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5585 posts

Jan 17, 2013

@hey_there_panda Holy Peanuts ! 

That Sounds Amazing !

Would It Be Noticeable To The Enemies ?

+1 Kudos My New PSN Buddy !

Lol. My Honor Fellow Zeus Aligned Warrior !

Is Your Zeus Warrior Level 30 Yet ?

What Do You Mean By 'How'd You Do That ?' .Lol

TLoU GotY 2013 .
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 16 (122 Views)
0 Likes