Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 20 2013
By: AdamMadman Splicer 92 posts

Final Beta Feedback (likely in vain)

23 replies 305 views Edited Jan 20, 2013

After playing the GoWA Beta for some time (lvl 15 Ares, lvl 6 Zeus), and toying around with all of the modes and options, I have come to the conclusion that the MP of GoWA is going to be broken out of the gate. Now, I will get a lot of flak for that opinion because it seems like some people here truly love it, but I cannot. As a day one fan of the original God of War, I fell in love with a game that looked like a run of the mill action game, that tugged at my Greek mythology genre heart strings. And it was an everlasting love; some might call me a GoW fanboy. I have pre-ordered every GoW game (CE if possible) since then, including repurchasing the PSP Remasters, and in my earlier years, I fought on behalf of the series, that the GoW acronym belonged to God of War, and not the truly mundane and average Gears of War. GOW has to deal with caps lock, because GoW is taken.

As such a long time fan, I was hopeful that with such a strong track record, Santa Monica could deliver a balanced and fun MP experience. I was wrong, and as fanboy, I am heartbroken. The single player nature is what ALL fans of the series wanted...and there has never been a push for multiplayer in GoW, so why did you add it? If not something the fans actually wanted, why not push a trial run for such a feature as DLC instead of wasting years of resources on it?

I will give specifics, but know that most of these mistakes are rookie moves that real MP developers do not make. Which is such a shame, because for such a talented team, I would have expected that the biggest flaws are not the obvious ones.

Menus

When I first booted up the game, chose an alliance, I saw my warrior standing in a ringed metal grate, with his weapon floating idly by. It took a good minute before I realized, this was it. The menu was disguised as floaty gems in the upper left corner. Okay, minor mistake, could be fixed later. 

Matchmaking

When I selected Quick Match, all of the icons in the menu went away...and nothing happened. For a good 20 seconds, nothing happens. I realized it was loading something, but I didn't know what. And then after a far too long delay, it tells me it is looking for a match...okay good, but why is there no graphical clue, or pop-up menu/window that tells me its looking for a game? Can I continue to navigate menus here still? Do I have to do anything to make it find a match? The difference between matchmaking and not, is not obvious enough. But again, this is minor. Minor mistake #2, okay I can live with this. 

But then I sit there...and it matchmakes the **** out of my game. It matchmakes so hard, that it doesn't stop matchmaking for up to 5 - 10 minutes. I thought, "okay, so maybe its just a slow day". After 10 minutes I find a game (more on that later). But as I continue to try and find games, I quickly realize 5 - 10 minutes is the norm, for finding a single game to play. At one point I waited as long as 15 minutes. And its not like there weren't players playing, as my 'Empty Slots' filled up every few minutes, such that we had a full lobby, ready to go...and then they're gone. The entire list of names disappear, and it goes back to looking for matches. Its like the gang started on, but forgot that I was asleep in the attic like Kevin in Home Alone. This happened up to a maximum of 5 times, every single time I tried to join a game. And I know for a fact those players didn't start the game without me, because the next time my game filled up a lobby, I saw many of the same names in the list that were there, prior to having the entire lobby dropped. 

I never thought I would ever say this, especially about a crew as talented as SM, but this is some of the worst matchmaking ever. Ever. It is worse than Assassins Creed Brotherhood, and I didn't think it was possible to create a more jarbled, less intuitive matchmaking interface than that...but you have proven me wrong. This is a big deal. 

As a side note here: if I am navigating menus while its match making, it will 1) hide the entire lobby that I am currently in, so I don't know if I'm playing or not, and 2) freeze the game start timer until I back out of all the menus to the lobby. If I'm not ready, start without me. You don't need 8 players readied up, as you clearly let people drop out of games to make 4 v 2 all too common, so stop placing an 8 readied player minimum to the lobby. 

Gameplay

Lag #1

Scenario 1) I walk up to an alter, I press R1, I capture the alter. (Common)

Scenario 2) I walk up, press R1...nothing happens. Guy holds hand up, game does nothing. (Just as common). 

Lag #2

Scenario 3) I walk up to guy capturing my alter, I mash attacks to stop him. He stumbles and falls. (Common)

Scenario 4) I walk up, mash attacks, and I am whacking an immovable dummy...nothing happens, until the game picks back up, and he has already captured the alter. (Just as common)

Scenario 5) I am capturing an alter, but enemy walks up and knocks me out of it (100% rate of success). 

[This applies to all action animations, including levers]

Lag #3

Scenario 6) I come up to a player in combat, and he performs his L1+Square, and I perform my L1+Triangle, there  is a 50/50 chance I will hit him. 

Scenario 7) Roles reversed, there is a 100% chance I get hit, and then die. 

[I think to myself that this is maybe an issue of hit priority, and not strength]

Lag #4

Scenario 8) I make sure I am the first one to attack, I use L1+Triangle, and opponent uses L1+Square. About 75% chance I am the one that gets hit. 

Scenario 9) Roles reversed, I use L1+Square after opponents attack, I get hit 100% every time. And usually die. 

[I think to myself, okay, perhaps this is an issue of start-up frames, or invincibility. So I will have to fight it out and see if I can figure out what is happening.]

Lag #5

Scenario 10) I attempt to grapple a dodging opponent with that pretty white icon over their head. I try this upwards of 20 times. I succeed twice. 

Scenario 11) Opponent tries to grapple me when I dodge their attacks. They do this upwards of 20 times. They succeed upwards of 20 times. (Both scenarios are 100% common).

Lag #6

Scenario 12) I try to launch my opponent with a charged heavy. The attack connects, but does not launch the opponent because they were doing an attack, and I get launched instead. (Very common)

Scenario 13) I try to interrupt an opponents launch, but have yet to actually do so. 

Lag #7

Scenario 14) I finally get someone into the air, I follow them up, I attack them mid air, and try to follow up with grapple...but this has yet to work even one time. 

Scenario 15) Enemy launches me into the air, they follow up with a mid-air grapple that succeeds ALMOST EVERY SINGLE TIME. And I die. (So common I've rage quit a few times). 

Lag #8

Scenario 16) The map freezes entirely. This happens once every other game.

________________________________----

Combat

Somehow, I die a lot. Like a lot, alot. Yet I can almost never score a kill. I have tried adjusting items, armour, relics, and weapons, but the result is always the same. I can either never begin a killing combo, or my combos are just not doing enough damage, or attacks that are hitting, aren't dealing the appropriate damage. Because I've been caught in really basic combos that, if they did not kill me, brought me close enough that I was in a red-icon stun state. But when I perform the same combos on any other player, I can not even bring them close to a stun state. Block is useful, but the parry command has a delay that makes it useless. I am not expecting buttery smooth combat in an online environment for a game like this. But if every single fighting game, even under some minor lag, can create fair and balanced hit confirms with appropriate hit priority and damage scaling in an online forum, then I expect no less from a simplistic action game like God of War. I feel like many of the combat problems may be rooted in the lag of the game, but it feels clunky, and after a while, caused me to hate it, and just stop playing entirely. 

Overall

I am devastated. A series that I was madly in love with, has been converted into a poorly executed MP mash-up. I am not mad that you created a MP game out of God of War, but it is quite evident you did this at the expense of the single player campaign. You will claim you did no such thing, but you have waited until 2 months prior to release to even remind the world that a SP game even exists, and with a trailer that shows nothing but a sizzle reel of boss fights that either look all kind of samey, or you can't even tell what is going on. 

Now, if I don't know the full list of fixes you're planning on implementing in the final game, but the above listed problems are amateur-at-best mistakes. And the fact that you're not even getting the easy stuff right, demonstrates you have no hope of getting the challenging things right. And that is depressing. And quite honestly, for a series I love so much, it is a bit heart breaking. 

I've pre-ordered my CE, so your money is safe. But should this game release to middling reviews about MP, you can rest assured that this series, under the supervision of Todd Papy, has been demoted significantly. One might wonder why you rest the reputation of such a huge series, and the entire future career of Todd Papy, one something like MP? Again, why not test the waters first?

My one last hope, is that in a need to feed my addicted gamer side, that you don't put any MP trophies in this game, as I hope I never have to play it again.

Message 1 of 24 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4057 posts

Re: Final Beta Feedback (likely in vain)

Jan 20, 2013

The last major update that they released was around the time it was available for PS+ subscribers (around January 8th), so they haven't updated it since. As you know, the Beta is available to the public, so the servers are taking a beating at the moment. Lag/matchmaking etc. has been a popular topic during this Beta's life. Just give it some time, it should be fairly stable when the game releases in March.

As for your gameplay suggestions... L1+Square is usually quicker and CAN interrupt L1+Triangle. If this is all because of 'Lag', then it should've been posted under 'Lag' and not 'Gameplay'.

It just sounds like you need some practice. There are many experienced players on the Beta, please remember that.

photo Sig_zps70d8d3f0.jpg
Message 2 of 24 (296 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1495 posts

Jan 20, 2013

There have been multiple lag issues for most people so your not alone there. 

As far as combat goes, your most likely been playing against people with higher levels or people who have a better grasp on the games mechanics. IMO level 15 comes way to quickly and I've seen a lot of people that share your view usually were the ones that really didn't play it long enough. 

Check out my channel for GoW matches, highlights and other videos.
Message 3 of 24 (291 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Jan 20, 2013

They didn't wait to "remind" people of a single player (SP) mode. They had testers testing it long before the Multiplayer (MP) was tested.  The game isn't out for over another month , you market too early and people forget or put it off.

Matchmaking needs a lot of work , but as stated this is a beta that you got access to for free and is still in the test phases. Host migration and not being able to put people in already started unbalanced matches needs to be done.

Lag are issues you will deal with in any online game that doesn't limit internet speed to gain access to the server to play. I wish they could somehow separate the lower connection speeds and put them together to make it more fair for everyone but I'm not really in heavy favor of the whole segregated community in any shape other than connection issues. A lot of the lag issues you point out I haven't experienced so maybe your connection or some adjustments need to be done to your internet setup. Some of them aren't even clear as lags........

"Lag #1

Scenario 1) I walk up to an alter, I press R1, I capture the alter. (Common) "

What was the lag here? If none why state it under lag senerio #1 , if not lag then indicate regular play not as lag. ( you just marked (Common) but is this a common lag you experience or common gameplay?

The gameplay , either you like it or you don't. Multiplayer isn't for everyone but in a multiplayer setting on internet you can't really "make sure" you are the first to hit your buttons.  You mentioned lag throughout much of your post but don't really seem to actually take it into account.

Have you actually gotten a chance to test the game in SP or just the Multiplayer they giving you early beta access to? What level are you? How long did you actually give the game before coming to these conclusions? Especially after you wrote this section.....

"Overall

I am devastated. A series that I was madly in love with, has been converted into a poorly executed MP mash-up. I am not mad that you created a MP game out of God of War, but it is quite evident you did this at the expense of the single player campaign. You will claim you did no such thing, but you have waited until 2 months prior to release to even remind the world that a SP game even exists, and with a trailer that shows nothing but a sizzle reel of boss fights that either look all kind of same, or you can't even tell what is going on."

You can't really know if they sacrificed anything for MP mode at all until you tried it. If you did test ...... You  still pre-ordered it. Also should be pointed out that while many have a distaste for the MP , many are enjoying it and a lot of the gaming community has requested it.  While your opinion may seem to be the majority the fact is  , sometimes it is not. I believe they are testing the waters with this version as it doesn't just have Kratos but champions under an aligned God. This is different from what has been done in the series thus far and it is entirely testing the waters as Kratos has been the protagonist in the entire series until now.

Message 4 of 24 (276 Views)
Splicer
92 posts

Jan 20, 2013

"

"Lag #1

What was the lag here? If none why state it under lag senerio #1 , if not lag then indicate regular play not as lag. ( you just marked (Common) but is this a common lag you experience or common gameplay?"

If you finish reading, there is a 2nd scenario underneath, exemplifying how it is a lag issue. Please respond to the full quote, and not just the piece you read while ignoring the rest.

Message 5 of 24 (259 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Jan 20, 2013

AdamMadman wrote:

"

"Lag #1

What was the lag here? If none why state it under lag senerio #1 , if not lag then indicate regular play not as lag. ( you just marked (Common) but is this a common lag you experience or common gameplay?"

If you finish reading, there is a 2nd scenario underneath, exemplifying how it is a lag issue. Please respond to the full quote, and not just the piece you read while ignoring the rest.

The one under it was a "senerio 2"  so it is a separate senerio, not the same one. If it was the actual lag then it needs to be Lag #1 , senerio 1 and then state how it should be in regular gameplay not list it as a senerio in the lag.  Believe me I read your entire post. Can you answer the other question I posed in my post?

Message 6 of 24 (254 Views)
Splicer
92 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 20, 2013

No, I won't answer your other question because you lack any and all reading comprehension. They are 2 scenarios that are directly linked to demonstrate Lag issue #1. This requires the most basal level of intellect to understand, so in all likelihood you wouldn't understand my answers to any of your other questions.

It's also worth noting the answer to your question is in my original post...which you claim you read. Further proving my point about reading comprehension.

Message 7 of 24 (239 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 20, 2013

I liked this Beta. Once you learned correct stradegies it wasnt to bad, but the worst part was when i first started off. Before you get any extra armor its pretty much just lets see who can spam the crap out of the specials first  which is pretty much crap. The parrying time is delayed at points, where im still in the postion but someone can hit me just fine. When there is two against one the one has no chance due to the two spaming the specials. And sometime the L2 item will be full but no matter how many times i press L2 it doesnt do crap. Isnt the point of the L2 item to get people off you in the begining? Because if they just sit there tapping square as soon as you get down (before you can attack) they hit you.

All in all when you learn how to avoid being raped by spam, the game gets really entertaining. The fighting styles of different weapons makes it so you need to be strategic to stay alive. This has a few ruff spots that need to be fixed but the idea and basics of it are fantastic

Message 8 of 24 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 20, 2013

You won't answer because you didn't test the SP but still pre-ordered it anyway and you have many complaints based on issues you haven't tested. A senerio requires a complete thought and you haven't completed your thought on the lag but jump to another senerio to complete it. I've explained that twice now and you still don't get it and are insulting my inteligence based on your horrible explaination skills. A lag senerio should be 1 complete thought on lag You break them up too much. ( senerio 1 isn't a lag yet you call it one). You don't seem to grip the mechanics of lag since you seem to think you ALWAYS make sure you hit first. This shows your lack of understanding of lag and how it may effect others and not just you. I'm giving clear examples of how the way you posted it isn't a lag in each senerio. If you didnt' break them down into senerios there wouldn't be a problem with your post. I didn't insult your inteligence at any point either. Refusal to answer questions that are clear and directly relate to your post is a cop-out. You have insulted someone in each post of this thread which shows a level of not being able to give and take critisism in an adult manner. I respect your opinion and would like to understand your problems with the game better , this is why questions were asked about your problems and information was giving in reference to any comment I made.
Again I'll simplify since we are having communication issues. 2 senerios should show 2 lags , not just 1. Senerio 1 and 2 are linked therefore the SAME senerio. You are giving the correct way it should be then the lag. It is 1 senerio.

Message 9 of 24 (231 Views)
Splicer
92 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 20, 2013

You may very well be one of the least intelligent people to ever show their face on the internet. To paraphrase Stew from the Hangover: "You are literally too ignorant to explain how ignorant you are". Please finish grade school. 

Also, once again, I don't answer your questions because a) you wouldn't undersand the answer, and b) I already have answered your questions. The fact that you have overlooked this twice in a row now, demonstrates that you should just not comment any further, as you lack the basal level of communication to continue this discussion.

You should also note that this post has nothing to do with the SP. None at all. Not even a little. I commented on my worries about the SP, but made no further judgements. 

Also, please start using proper english, grammar and sentence structure. I don't care about spelling, for the love of our language, make what you're saying coherent.

Message 10 of 24 (207 Views)
0 Likes