Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 21 2012
By: MegaPl0Xx First Son 8 posts

GoW Ascension REVIEW??

8 replies 163 views Edited Dec 21, 2012

First and foremost, this is a review/feedback sort of post. The score I give is my opinion and you may disagree with it or with what I write and that is okay, all I ask is that you respect it. Thank you.

Pros

God of War Ascension is FUN. Fun is an aspect that unfortunately many game developers forget to add in their games(Either that or they have a bad sense of it.); it’s the number one quality that keeps the players coming back and wanting more. The game is a breath of fresh air from most of the other games that came out recently due to its unique yet highly effective battle system which I very much like and just the gameplay in general. I, like many, found myself immediately addicted to it. I’ve played countless matches and I have gotten very good over the two and a half days I’ve played.

Contrary to many of the things I’ve been reading today, I find the game to be exceptionally balanced. An average game for me is 10-2 and I’m not saying it to brag but instead for the readers to understand that I know what I’m saying. (Most of the time…) This is a reply to a post from Simubaya who stated he/she felt the hammer is overall the superior weapon of choice. My reply:

“I don't believe anything is unbalanced so far. Both the hammer and the sword have their own perks and weaknesses. The hammer has its strength which does more damage”(Doesn’t do more damage, just greater knockback) “than the sword and thus creating more knockback to the opponent whereas the sword is faster to wield than the hammer and in turn creates more combo capabilities which leads to having just about the same output of damage as a standard combo with the hammer.

I currently use The Sword of Ares and have no problems fighting hammer users. I used the hammer several times before which is why I know how it works just as I know the sword but I just picked the sword because I like the specials The Sword of Ares has and I like the extra hits I can get off of a combo due to it's speed.

In short, there's no real unbalanced nature of the weapons; they work the way they should; same with the magic for Ares and Zeus. It's all a determination of how you prefer to play the game; bulldoze everyone in sight with a few effective blows, ie. hammer, or hack and slash your opponents to death, sword.”

Cons

The only big issue I have with the gameplay is the parry. I don’t know if this was done on purpose or if this is just happening to me since I haven’t really read anyone else having this problem but basically when I press L1 + x to parry, I just block; no white barrier in front of me. I have to press x again and in some cases a third time for the parry to be apparent. I don’t have this problem with light melee’s special or heavy melee’s special, just parry. This is particularly annoying when I’m trying to escape and the enemy tries to grapple or light attack me. I’ll be running then see the grapple or attack coming then try to parry it but all that happens is I block. Maybe the parrying system was made like this on purpose but I find it very annoying in those critical moments.

I know this is just a beta but even though I’m almost certain the following I’m about to mention will be added, I just want to state them now because I currently do not see them.

1. The option to invite friends to your party or join a friend’s party.
  2. Voice chatting. (Ability to communicate using a mic. In-game or in lobby.)
  3. The option to start a custom party. (No exp. Gained of course.)

Those are basic multiplayer essentials. I know it’s most likely going to be added but I’m just saying for sake of good feedback that Santa Monica Studio need to add those.

Other than that, I see no real issues with this game. Out of all the games I’ve played, I’ve only been disconnected twice, which is decent since I’ve played countless matches. I do have FiOS internet 50/25 so it could be that I just have an above average internet speed but who knows; a lot of people have been bringing up the topic of disconnections so it probably is just me and others alike. I’ve also read many people bring up the issue about the Zeus class being better than the Ares class because of the magic. I have dealt with many Zeus players so trust me when I say I understand the annoyance the electrical magic can be, however, it is by no means over powering. Okay, so I lied earlier and said that the game is completely balanced but although it does make the Zeus class better, it is by such a small amount that it honestly shouldn’t bother an average player. There are ways to avoid the electricity and even though it can be cheap sometimes, so can the magic used by Ares players. Becoming a demi-god?  Even if it is for less than ten seconds, you’re almost fully invincible. Also Ares Inferno is pretty awesome. Can be used to evade and attack not only one, but groups of opponents. I’d say after playing with both classes that the Zeus class’s magic just barely tops the Ares class and like I said, average-level Ares players shouldn’t find a problem with getting around it.

Another thing; traps are pathetically easy to avoid. I love the idea of having traps in the game, but I think both the fire and the spikes should act faster once a player triggers it. It should be avoidable, but only if the player reacts fast enough. Most of the time I trigger a trap, I can jump or sidestep out of the way with some time to spare.

Lastly, the armor. I recently read other people noticing the similar thing when you put on armor with a lot of physical power which sacrifices physical resist and when you fight, you don’t see the difference in how much output damage you induce yet you die quickly. However, when you do the opposite with defense being high and attack low, the damage you give is basically the same yet you can take much more hits before your health is depleted.

Possible Additions

This is just a list of things I think would greatly improve the game. I’m not sure if they will be taken into consideration but I surely hope so.

1. This idea I saw from a post by Plymco_Pilrgim and I just though, hey, terrific idea, now that I read it, I want it in the game indefinitely. He/She wrote:

“Just like the title implies I am wondering if we will get a clan system.

I would like the option to have the people I already play with in a gaming clan, along with myself, to be able to express our clan affiliation with clan tags in front of our name.

So I was hoping there will be a clan system where I can go, set up a clan, then invite friends to join the clan. 

Having a clan battle deploy system would also be really fun.

Once invited my name would show up like this in the multiplayer games [BHD]PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Will we get a clan system?”

Once again, great idea. If there’s one thing I know for certain is that people love competition and they also love being able to play with their friends; a clan system combines both! It’s one thing to invite your friends to your party then go play a few games but it’s another thing to invite your friends or even other players you’ve met online who are good and invite them to your clan to go against other clans and rank up in the leader boards. Great idea Plymco_Pilgrim.

1. Since we’re on the topic of playing with friends I think this is a good a time as any to say that adding a Co-op mode would be freakin’ awesome. Could be story based or it could just be you and your friends fighting rounds of AI for experience. Either one would be great, or maybe even both!
  2. Adding more weapons and armor. I know there will be weapons and armor corresponding to the Hades and Poseidon classes but I’m talking more than that. An idea for some weapons they could add is a spear/halberd, or gauntlets similar to the ones Hercules has. Fighting with the gauntlets I can already imagine would be awesome!

Well that’s all I can think of for now.

Score

For a first Beta, I give it a 9.5 out of 10.

I would have easily given it a 10 out of 10 but I took into consideration the glitches and struggles many of having with the connection and also my parrying issue. It’s a first Beta so neither I nor anyone can else expect it to be perfect. I feel a 9.5 is an adequate score.

Closer

To finish off, I’d just like to point out again that GoW Ascension is FUN. I’m addicted to it and I really believe Santa Monica Studio is on the right track with this game. Come March they will have all my money; 100% purchasing the collector’s edition! =D

Message 1 of 9 (163 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9691 posts

Re: GoW Ascension REVIEW??

Dec 21, 2012
They have said they are working on the friend invites I imagine they'll be in around the time they release it to the public.

Very good points made, especially about the parry. I noticed a couple days ago when I was trying to parry, I was jumping and blocking instead of parrying. Or sometimes it just doesn't work.

I think the magic would be more balanced if it wasn't so easy to work around...when people become a demi god you can just run away and there's nothing they can do about it. When you use the fire dive thing all you need to do is roll at the right time and you negate all damage. The fire punch all you need to do is move to the left or right a little bit and it misses completely. Zeus magic has amazing pull in abilities or allows you to deal massive damage. The lighting ball can cripple you and you can deal huge melee damage to them while the spell rips them apart.

About the stats, I definitely agree which is surprising you'd think aries would have insane attack and pretty good defense but the aries armor has high attack (not much different from gladiator armor) and almost no defense. If the strength actually showed, I think it'd be worth the risk but it doesn't it feels like strength caps or the bonus dwindles at a really low level. (for example in an MMO I played if you had 25 SPR in your build you got 5% extra crit. Meaning every 5 you put in you got 1% crit [obviously] but any points after 25 the bonus you'd get for crit would lower dramatically, you'd get like .05% per point instead of .2 per point)
Message 2 of 9 (158 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Dec 21, 2012

Actually you are right about the magic. I didn't realize it till you pointed it out that yeah, people would dodge away from my Ares Inferno and not take any damage. The punch I never use lol, and the Demi-God, yeah, it's very slow but what I like to do is back my opponents to a corner right before I use it. You're also right about Zeus players slashing at ya while you're being affected by the electricity. I usually just L2 out of it but if you don't have that since you used it recently, I do see where it can be a problem.

The armor idk what's going on with that. I put on the full Ares armor and went into a match thinking I'm about to rack up so much kills and truck through everyone but then go wrecked.. xD

Message 3 of 9 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9691 posts

Dec 21, 2012
Well, when they have 2 charges of that, if they use one and you use an item to escape they can plant another one close to their last one and get you caught in the same situation.

Yeah, aries armor doesn't make much sense lol. Gladiator armor covers less of your body but gives you more defense. Aries armor is huge and bulky but one combo can take half your health out.

idk, I'm sure as you level up you'll unlock bigger and better sets of armor, hopefully the higher level aries armor is more balanced but who knows. It might be in the same position it is now (pretty pointless) but with higher stats. (as in, aries armor has 100 attack and 25 def and gladiator has like 80 attack and 50 defense [not real stats but you know what I mean] then at higher level you get elite aries armor and it's 200 attack and 50 defense but elite gladiator armor is 160 attack and 100 defense)
Message 4 of 9 (152 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Dec 21, 2012
Oh, I didn't know they get two since I didn't level up my Zeus character much. In that case then yes, Zeus's magic far surpasses that of Ares. I feel like if Santa Monica Studio patched that magic up to where the electricity doesn't pull you in, then it would be balanced. All that's needed is an effective way to dodge it.
Message 5 of 9 (145 Views)
0 Likes
God of War Developer
24 posts

Dec 21, 2012

Cons

The only big issue I have with the gameplay is the parry. I don’t know if this was done on purpose or if this is just happening to me since I haven’t really read anyone else having this problem but basically when I press L1 + x to parry, I just block; no white barrier in front of me. I have to press x again and in some cases a third time for the parry to be apparent. I don’t have this problem with light melee’s special or heavy melee’s special, just parry. This is particularly annoying when I’m trying to escape and the enemy tries to grapple or light attack me. I’ll be running then see the grapple or attack coming then try to parry it but all that happens is I block. Maybe the parrying system was made like this on purpose but I find it very annoying in those critical moments.

Hey, thanks a lot for the feedback!

One thing I wanted to comment on, about the Parry specifically, is that we're looking into issues with both the effectiveness of the parry in general, but also how the input feels and works in real world/high latency situations. It's definitely not functioning 100%, at the moment. Hopefully these fixes will address some of your concerns.

Message 6 of 9 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
44 posts

This game is going to get a 2 from me if the single playe...

[ Edited ]
Dec 23, 2012

This game is going to get a 2 from me if the single player isn't amazing (and longer than 5 hours like GoW3 was). I am not impressed with the MP and that's no surprise since I never saw the point of it anyway with this series. I never would have thought SSM would have gone the feature matching route with their games, but I guess I was wrong. "Ooh, CoD has it so we need it, too!" No, you didn't. And this beta proves it. Maybe I should try the cyclops mode before I write it off completely. But as of now, I am not impressed at all.

Before this beta, I didn't think it was possible to dislike something GoW related. But it's true ...anything is possible.

Message 7 of 9 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9691 posts

Re: This game is going to get a 2 from me if the single playe...

Dec 23, 2012

BlkLightning2K wrote:

This game is going to get a 2 from me if the single player isn't amazing (and longer than 5 hours like GoW3 was). I am not impressed with the MP and that's no surprise since I never saw the point of it anyway with this series. I never would have thought SSM would have gone the feature matching route with their games, but I guess I was wrong. "Ooh, CoD has it so we need it, too!" No, you didn't. And this beta proves it. Maybe I should try the cyclops mode before I write it off completely. But as of now, I am not impressed at all.

Before this beta, I didn't think it was possible to dislike something GoW related. But it's true ...anything is possible.

You're the first person I've ever seen dislike the game (and you only play free for all?)  so, just because you...one guy...doesn't like it it's a total pile of crap and not worth it? 

Yeah, I'm sure when they added this fighting style multiplayer to their button mashing game they were thinking about call of duty.  I as well as lots of other fans and critics have been asking about MP.  We got it, it's good and it's here and if you don't like it...good for **bleep** you just play the SP and move along.  You coming here saying YOU don't like it doesn't help everyone else's experience.  

Message 8 of 9 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
849 posts

Re: This game is going to get a 2 from me if the single playe...

Dec 23, 2012

He's just mad 'cause he sucks :smileyvery-happy:

Erebus..jpg
Message 9 of 9 (94 Views)
0 Likes