Mar 29 2013
By: LatentPotential7 First Son 18 posts

Hating a game I'm loving.

7 replies 177 views Edited Mar 29, 2013

Hey guys, I can tell there is a great game here, but I am really struggling to enjoy my experience.

I play Hades and I can't do decent with any hammer other than the starting hammer. I want to use the Minotaur, but the combos listed online do not work for me, even in training mode. I was having a blast with this game the first time I played online, but now all of a sudden I am getting destroyed, juggled, gang banged and sometimes glitched to death. I play WiFi, does that matter at all?

Most of the time, I feel completely out of control. I often get lost in a cloud of 2-4 players, and I cannot even tell what's going on so I hold block and try to dodge out, only to be juggled to death. Other times in 1v1 situations I feel absolutely powerless to retaliate at all because everything I do gets cancelled out by their attacks or they pull off a string juggle attack that I am unable to get out of. It really feels like no matter what new strategy I try, it gets trumped either by game mechanics or a second enemy peckerwood showing up and ruining what I had going.

What am I doing wrong? I'd love to play with someone sometime becuase I love this game but 4/5 games I play I lose so bad that I lose interest.

Please help me, I hate being a punching bag over and over again.

Message 1 of 8 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4062 posts

Re: Hating a game I'm loving.

Mar 29, 2013
I've fought many people on these forums, and many of them spam their specials. Those people know who they are. Once there's about two of them, all they gotta do is mash, and you're dead. Experienced it MANY times, it's just what people do. Rarely do I fight a person where it's a solid 1v1.

If you're talking about war hammers specifically, those things juggle well, but in a cheap way, since you can't do anything to break out. You can try spamming your item when you're getting hit, that's also popular.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, the game is inconsistent. Those with constant "high k/d ratios" are people who either spam the hell out of their L1's or outnumber you.

I don't think it's your fault, try compensating for the lag.
 photo Sig_zps70d8d3f0.jpg
Message 2 of 8 (167 Views)
Wastelander
869 posts

Mar 29, 2013

If ever you experience a moment where you attack another player yet they soomehow hit you first even though on your screen you CLEARLY hit them at a time that would interrupt whatever attack they were doing, then you are lagged and Wi-Fi just might be the culprit. EVen my own wiredsuperfastconnection has trouble with lag, probably due to regional connections. To be fair this happens LESS often the past few days.

I would really try to find a way to get a wired connection or at least see Sony's portforwarding guide to limit it. If you don't port forward, you should. I'll link the guide that SSM has posted if you're interested.

Also, focusing on a specific TYPE of attack (trying to do those hammer combos over and over) is gonna  mess up your score. When you have an encounter, there is always 3 or more options for you, as well as defensive options for your opponent. One thing I have learnned is that EVER move available to you has its use, just figure out where to use them. THe hammer is by far the toughest weapon to approach an encounter with normal attacks. Either stick and move or land your special for a non-combo attack that will probably do decent damage. Countering is your friend.

I hope this helped a little.

Message 3 of 8 (160 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 29, 2013

Can I friend you two on PSN and we hook up for a few games? I have played with both of you before.

I do feel that this game is inconsistent, but I have a hard time quantifying specifics. It would be easier to discuss it while I play.

I enjoy 1v1 becuase it gives me a chance to slow down and try new things. I know when I am in an even match (level and my connection feels solid) I typically do well enough. Even steven.

I have left matches feeling like I earned it, but I usually do this through tactics and manipulation of evasion and ability usage, not combos. I do not know, nor have I ever been able to execute a single combo, other than SQ SQ SQ.

I do have a few hammer questions. A) What does a "charged" hammer do? B) What's a basic three hit combo I can take advantage of? C) Why can't I execute a lift three hit combo?

Side bar - I spent an hour on the training (which is annoying because the dummy dies quickly and easily) and I cannot "discover" any combos with the Minotaur. Someone suggested L1+S / S / S / Jump / S / L1+T / Hold T / S / S / Grp. I get to jump and it all falls apart. Ifi split it up and start at L1+T it falls apart in the lift (half the time I go up and the bot doesn't, half the time we both go up and he falls before I can execute a hit). Here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQq44KzoW44, I can't do half of that. The charcater goes white (is this what people are calling an i-frame? Invincibility-frame?)

I can feel the potential oozing from this game. It has all the great elements, rpg, action, competitive without the mindless grind.

Message 4 of 8 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1892 posts

Mar 29, 2013
I have some matches in which I lose as well, but not so many. I also face lag, as anyone. The trick for every online game is to study it, so you can become good and kick as.ses Smiley Very Happy

Participating on forums, watching videos, all of this help. And of course, practice and experience as well.
Maybe your using the wrong build...

Check this thread if this is the case, you'll find some Hades build.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/God-of-War-Ascension-Multiplayer/Build-guide/td-p/40001109

About your Minotaur hammer, I'll wait for an answer as well, since all my other lvl 1 chars (Ares, Hades and Poseidon will use it).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You were always Zeus' Favorite!

You were alway Zeus' favorite!

My channel: http://youtube.com/user/czeuch
Message 5 of 8 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4062 posts

Mar 29, 2013

LatentPotential7 wrote:

Can I friend you two on PSN and we hook up for a few games? I have played with both of you before.

I do feel that this game is inconsistent, but I have a hard time quantifying specifics. It would be easier to discuss it while I play.

I enjoy 1v1 becuase it gives me a chance to slow down and try new things. I know when I am in an even match (level and my connection feels solid) I typically do well enough. Even steven.

I have left matches feeling like I earned it, but I usually do this through tactics and manipulation of evasion and ability usage, not combos. I do not know, nor have I ever been able to execute a single combo, other than SQ SQ SQ.

I do have a few hammer questions. A) What does a "charged" hammer do? B) What's a basic three hit combo I can take advantage of? C) Why can't I execute a lift three hit combo?

Side bar - I spent an hour on the training (which is annoying because the dummy dies quickly and easily) and I cannot "discover" any combos with the Minotaur. Someone suggested L1+S / S / S / Jump / S / L1+T / Hold T / S / S / Grp. I get to jump and it all falls apart. Ifi split it up and start at L1+T it falls apart in the lift (half the time I go up and the bot doesn't, half the time we both go up and he falls before I can execute a hit). Here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQq44KzoW44, I can't do half of that. The charcater goes white (is this what people are calling an i-frame? Invincibility-frame?)

I can feel the potential oozing from this game. It has all the great elements, rpg, action, competitive without the mindless grind.

Sure, but my list might be full. If it is, shoot me a message, I'll delete someone.

photo Sig_zps70d8d3f0.jpg
Message 6 of 8 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
634 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 29, 2013

d1v4d...well im mostly hammer user,so kinda hard to explain but i try it would be easier if you played with me...heh,but Minotaur combo that works for me but it is not easy to pull.PARRY! square,square,L+triangle,hold triangle,in air square,square and grapple.Hammer charge does variation of things.Helios hammer applies the mark and Zeus hammer applies lightning some hammers boucnhes the enemy when charged i have not tested all classes hamme AND some charges does not work as intendet.Basic combo for most hammers is square,square and square...instead you can use the last as a triangle or after two hit combo do L+special and also delay attacks work.square,square and hold triangle is a bad move most of the time enemy does not fly! or they go white...so depending on your hammer after 2 squares use special that sends them airborne,like minotaur or gladiator,ares hammer,hades both hammers etc.

With Hades teleport hammer you can do simple 2 squares and kick then L+triangle,it does not matter if he goes white after kick because it takes time to teleport and the white effect has propably worn off by then and then simple grapple after L+triangle.

Message 7 of 8 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
18 posts

Mar 29, 2013
That is similar to the combo I keep trying to get to work, but I am unable to do it even on a training dummy. Once I lift them into the air they fall before I can hit them. I know something is not right because I do the same thing, and sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. It feels like there must be some unseen delay.

Thanks for the great tips Ark, and I will add you tonight d1v4d.
Message 8 of 8 (77 Views)
0 Likes