Splicer
52 posts

Re: I am officially finished with this game.

May 8, 2013

OK, I think I know why the DLC is under "services" instead of the regular download list.

Before Ascension came out I was mainly playing Gran Turismo 5 on my brother's PS3. He has a few of the Car Packs DLC installed and I am able to use those cars when I play on my account on his system. After Ascension came out, I bought my own PS3. (the GOW edition) I had to transfer the GT5 save data from my brother's PS3 to mine via a USB drive. Unfortunately I cannot use any of the DLC cars when playing on my PS3. That is the way most of us think DLC should work - you can use the DLC on any account where the DLC was installed, no matter who installed it.

GOW:A is a little different. As a test, I went to my brother's PS3, (we live in the same house) put in Ascension and started the MP. I have not played Ascension on his system for over a month, I even had to install the 1.04 and 1.05 updates. I did not transfer my game data via USB drive and yet everything was there - all of my allegiances, weapons & armor were levelled up to where they are on my system, even the recently released DLC was there. I think that EVERYTHING for the MP is stored online - the maps, your stats, what you have unlocked & levelled up, XP for each allegiance, etc.

So the DLC is listed as a service because it has to be, that's the way they made the game. It is tied to your account, not the system. Now whether this is a good idea or not is an entirely different question.

Message 31 of 37 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
325 posts

May 8, 2013
I have to say that i bought killzone 3 dlc packs(around 4 packs) and realy all i could download and USE! On the other PS3 system from my friend, downloaded with my account in his System, then started the game with his account. An vouila it worked we could play without problems Smiley Wink also it worked with other games too. So why it don't does with gowa? I think that this is realy **bleep** From ssm because the dlc is already so expensive. Than it's realy ridicoilous to bring such a thing!
Message 32 of 37 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4062 posts

May 8, 2013
I loved Killzone 3.
 photo Sig_zps70d8d3f0.jpg
Message 33 of 37 (155 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
325 posts

May 8, 2013
Yeah great Game Smiley Happy but gowa was too but getting worse To me more and more... And that makes me sad, because i loved the game Smiley Happy but when ssm makes such **bleep** i realy get angry because of this-_-
Message 34 of 37 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
558 posts

[ Edited ]
May 9, 2013

GOW71 wrote:

gypsy816 wrote:

Remotei - Honestly, that seems more like a question for PlayStation, and not SSM. A PlayStation MVP, or someome similar, might be able to help answer that for you.

Might as well have said "ask GOW71" since I seem to be the only MVP that frequents these boards.  There is over a 100 of us now, but I seem to be the only one who visits on the regular....

In any case my understanding of this issue is this.  You download the stuff via the account you have active with your season pass, you then want to be able to use the items on another account/and or PlayStation unit you have, fully expecting to be able to do so as that is generally how DLC works.

However upon trying to do so you find you cannot as the content is added directly to the account associated with the activated season's pass, being "locked" to that account.  I can see the OP's frustration as I would have expected the same transferrable content as he was. As this is usually how DLC works.

It seems that this may actually be a SSM issue if they intentionally locked all DLC to only be active on the one account. Or maybe just the content acquired for free via the season's pass, to combat monetary loss? I can't say.  But it is definitely not how DLC usually works. When downloaded on one account it should be accessible on up to two Playstaion units and it's accounts.

Having the content go directly to the game on that account and not the download list makes me wonder if it is content already on disc? And needs to be unlocked via a purchase? Which I hope is not the case.

I want to check into this for myself and may go home today and reactivate another account just to see if what I have already downloaded is also accessible on the second account.  Maybe I'll pay for one item just to test it. If not, I'd say it's a game specific happening. Not a PSN one. I'll touch back once I have done that homework.

If I have mis-read or misunderstood any of what has happened in this thread I apologize and will welcome correction if I have made a legit mistake. Thanks for reading Smiley Happy

No that mistake was unforgivable. Smiley Mad

Message 35 of 37 (131 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
28159 posts

May 10, 2013

This was kind of a long thread for something that is obviously working as designed.  There isn't even a debate about how it actually works.  If it is in the Services List, then it can only be used by the PSN account that purchased it.  End of story.  All PSN content works that way. The only point that the OP is making is to complain that the product was implemented that way, instead of as an add-on that could be installed on two PS3s, used by any account on those PS3s.  I'm a bit mystified as to why Remotei contends that this was done for "no reason".  Obviously it was done for a reason.  Ascension is the first God of War game that includes a multi-player component.  SCEA invested a considerable amount of money in it, but the game costs the same as God of War III, which was single-player only, and the game includes a full single player experience that is comparable to God of War III's.  It wouldn't make sense for Sony to invest extra money to implement a multi-player component in a game that would have, in all likelihood, sold almost as many copies without one; unless it was generating a significant revenue stream to support it.  Some add-ons for Ascension multi-player were implemented as services because SCEA felt that it needed to be paid on a per-player basis; rather than a per-console basis; in order for the item, and the multi-player modes in general, to meet their revenue targets.  It's just business.  Could Sony have made it actual DLC?  Of course.  Was it obligated to do so?  Certainly not. 

It is absolutely not true that you are "supposed" to be able to use "all" of your content on two PS3s.  You are supposed to be able to activate two PS3 under each PSN account.  You are supposed to be able to download all downloadable game content in your downloads list to both of your PS3s.  Content in your services list is supposed to be usable on an unlimited number of PS3s, but only by the PSN account that purchased it.  That is different than downloadable content.  Better in some ways.  Not as good in others.  This way,  you can use some of your Ascension content on a PS3 that is not activated under your PSN account, which you could not do if it was downloadable.  That's an advantage.  Balancing that is that you lose the ability to share the content with other accounts on the same PS3. Some people will prefer it one way.  Others will prefer it the other way.  Not all of us use multiple PSN accounts to play the same game. One is not absolutely better or worse than the other.  They are just different, and neither is "diabolical". 

If it doesn't work out financially as planned then Sony may do something different with future God of War content in the Playstation Store, but it will take more than one dissatisfied user to determine that. In money matters, money matters; so sales of the content, and critical reception, will be the determining factors.  I haven't read any complaints about the model in the gaming press, so it is looking as though it isn't a big deal to the community at large.

As for the Vita, it works the same way as the eight year old PSP; which also could use content purchased by only one PSN account at a time.  It was somewhat easier to switch the PSP between PSN accounts, but that is the only real difference.  Nothing new going on there.  The PSP did not have trophies, but it could play some Plus content (still can), and had the exact same issue for the entire history of Plus.

GKP
Message 36 of 37 (104 Views)
Highlighted
Keyblade Wielder
7546 posts

May 10, 2013

gkpama00 wrote:

This was kind of a long thread for something that is obviously working as designed.  There isn't even a debate about how it actually works.  If it is in the Services List, then it can only be used by the PSN account that purchased it.  End of story.  All PSN content works that way. The only point that the OP is making is to complain that the product was implemented that way, instead of as an add-on that could be installed on two PS3s, used by any account on those PS3s.  I'm a bit mystified as to why Remotei contends that this was done for "no reason".  Obviously it was done for a reason.  Ascension is the first God of War game that includes a multi-player component.  SCEA invested a considerable amount of money in it, but the game costs the same as God of War III, which was single-player only, and the game includes a full single player experience that is comparable to God of War III's.  It wouldn't make sense for Sony to invest extra money to implement a multi-player component in a game that would have, in all likelihood, sold almost as many copies without one; unless it was generating a significant revenue stream to support it.  Some add-ons for Ascension multi-player were implemented as services because SCEA felt that it needed to be paid on a per-player basis; rather than a per-console basis; in order for the item, and the multi-player modes in general, to meet their revenue targets.  It's just business.  Could Sony have made it actual DLC?  Of course.  Was it obligated to do so?  Certainly not. 

It is absolutely not true that you are "supposed" to be able to use "all" of your content on two PS3s.  You are supposed to be able to activate two PS3 under each PSN account.  You are supposed to be able to download all downloadable game content in your downloads list to both of your PS3s.  Content in your services list is supposed to be usable on an unlimited number of PS3s, but only by the PSN account that purchased it.  That is different than downloadable content.  Better in some ways.  Not as good in others.  This way,  you can use some of your Ascension content on a PS3 that is not activated under your PSN account, which you could not do if it was downloadable.  That's an advantage.  Balancing that is that you lose the ability to share the content with other accounts on the same PS3. Some people will prefer it one way.  Others will prefer it the other way.  Not all of us use multiple PSN accounts to play the same game. One is not absolutely better or worse than the other.  They are just different, and neither is "diabolical". 

If it doesn't work out financially as planned then Sony may do something different with future God of War content in the Playstation Store, but it will take more than one dissatisfied user to determine that. In money matters, money matters; so sales of the content, and critical reception, will be the determining factors.  I haven't read any complaints about the model in the gaming press, so it is looking as though it isn't a big deal to the community at large.

As for the Vita, it works the same way as the eight year old PSP; which also could use content purchased by only one PSN account at a time.  It was somewhat easier to switch the PSP between PSN accounts, but that is the only real difference.  Nothing new going on there.  The PSP did not have trophies, but it could play some Plus content (still can), and had the exact same issue for the entire history of Plus.

Thanks for stopping by gkpama00 and providing that info. Very informative and better explained than I ever could.  I appreciate the feedback and hope others understand it better now as well. I certainly do Smiley Happy

Message 37 of 37 (85 Views)
0 Likes