Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 22 2013
By: d1v4d Fender Bender 4057 posts

Level Cap? Your thoughts

76 replies 790 views Edited Jan 22, 2013

What would satisfy y'all?

Personally, progression makes the game that much more fun; I hope the level cap is pretty high. Incorporating something like a 'prestige' mode would be nice, since I love progression. I just want it to keep going!!!!

Anyways, this isn't about me. Shoot.

photo Sig_zps70d8d3f0.jpg
Message 1 of 77 (790 Views)
Sackboy
458 posts

Re: Level Cap? Your thoughts

Jan 22, 2013

Maybe they have some new idea we haven't seen yet, but if not, I'd be happy with the standard we see in most games;  Hit a level cap, choose to stay there and be happy knowing you made it OR choose to go back to level 1 and start all over with the ability to gain new weapons and armor that can only be had by prestiging.  I really don't know what else they could do outside of the ability to combine Gods at one point, which could obviously get out of control, but would be really interesting.

Message 2 of 77 (787 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Jan 22, 2013

If they don't do anything at all I think a lot of players will get bored faster.  I think that the prestige in this game might have a nice effect of a permanent increase to a specific stat.  You start back at 1 but with the permanent stat increase from your previous level 30 ( or whatever they choose to make it) character.  The first , or first couple of times could be like +10 to physical attack from Ares  or +10 to elemental from Zeus.  The numbers would start to get out of control so the next times would only be +1 or +2 and they would have to cap how many  you could obtain.

This wouldn't make them have to come up with more weapons or armors and I think would be a fairly easily implementation.  I'd be for new weapons or armor but it would be making new items to put in the game so they might not having any ideas right off hand.

Message 3 of 77 (780 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
296 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 22, 2013

The higher the level cap the lower potential there is for new comers to MP to stand a chance.. There's currently a level cap, and every piece of armor/weapon/relic/special/escape move needs to be leveled.

Don't forget there will be 2-3 more Gods, I think that's a substantial amount of leveling to do to begin with. This isn't a grinding MMO/RPG,  it's a platforming combat game.

If they incorporate any kind of roll-over level wise I think in a game such as this it should be limited to an icon or weapon/armor skins, basically aesthetics and nothing more, but I'm assuming in this day and age Sony will want an increase of post release revenue by selling DLC in the form of an expansion/game levels, or SKINS anyways...

Message 4 of 77 (764 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
869 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 22, 2013

I like the idea of "prestiging." Uncharted 3 did a great job with theirs. It is INSANELY difficult to reach their 5 "legacy" (prestige) Level 75 cap. And to boot, their legacy system only unlocked "perks" that were risk/reward and truly DIDN'T MATTER as far as making you stronger AND all the unlocks suffered from an increase cost and therefore difficulty of powering up. I think GoW could benefit from a similar system.

The level cap...I think Goldhawk1 said it best (maybe it was someone else but I aint gonna peruse the forums to dig it up!)...Anything under level 99 or 100 feels strange. We must be Role Playing Gamers or more specifically, Squaresoft gamers lol To me the level cap isn't that important as long as it takes considerable time to reach it and the benefits of a top-level player aren't THAT MUCH of a stretch from a new player. The beta's 30 level system should be expanded in my opinion, hopefully with more equipment and abilities to match.

Message 5 of 77 (744 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Jan 22, 2013

I think the current level cap is fine. Four allegiances should give players whose enjoyment is tied directly to character progression, instead of gameplay, enough to work towards.  For the rest of the player, they can unlock the weapons, armor and abilties that they want and then just play the game and enjoy it. How many people stopped playing once they hit 30?

rachelnlucas wrote:

If they don't do anything at all I think a lot of players will get bored faster.  

Unfortunately you're probably right. There are a lot of people that can't have fun just playing a game. They need to feel like they are advancing or progressing towards something, and having a number slowly count up helps them gauge if they are bored or not.

Message 6 of 77 (737 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
673 posts

Jan 22, 2013

Whatever the cap is, it should be insanely difficult to obtain the upper levels. Borderlands 2 is perfect in this regard, IMO.

Given what I just said,  50 should be the absolute minimum, and a future increase maybe six months down the line would be cool.

Message 7 of 77 (727 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Jan 22, 2013

Flint_Prophet wrote:

Whatever the cap is, it should be insanely difficult to obtain the upper levels. 

why?

Message 8 of 77 (724 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
869 posts

Jan 22, 2013

I_Ceases_I wrote:

I think the current level cap is fine. Four allegiances should give players whose enjoyment is tied directly to character progression, instead of gameplay, enough to work towards.  For the rest of the player, they can unlock the weapons, armor and abilties that they want and then just play the game and enjoy it. How many people stopped playing once they hit 30?

rachelnlucas wrote:

If they don't do anything at all I think a lot of players will get bored faster.  

Unfortunately you're probably right. There are a lot of people that can't have fun just playing a game. They need to feel like they are advancing or progressing towards something, and having a number slowly count up helps them gauge if they are bored or not.

I sense disdain and perhaps a bit of condescension towards us who enjoy progression...In Twisted Metal, the level cap  is INSANELY easy to achieve...but I pumped over 1000 hours into that game, reasin being: It has considerable depth. The combat I've experienced in this GoW pales in comparison to its depth so SOMETHING would be needed to retain my interest, along with many others, I'd imagine. Progression isn't necessary...but it''s an ideal alternative to reptitive gameplay which this game seems destined to suffer from. I compare this to Uncharted...not a whole lot of depth there soo their progression fits like a glove.  Another solution to this would be a great stats page.

There is nothing wrong with feeling like I am achieving something while playing a game. That is, after alll, why video games were invented and grew to popularity in the first place. It is certainly why I started playing them as a kid. I am not a casual gamer. I am an obsessive one. And if you ask me, there is nothing wrong with that :smileyhappy:

Message 9 of 77 (717 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Jan 22, 2013

A better solution is to release more content.

Level progression in an RPG or an MMO makes sense. In games like these, level progression is just a trap to get people to continue to play the game after they are essentially done with it, with out actually giving them any real substance.

Message 10 of 77 (701 Views)