Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 05 2013
By: d1v4d Fender Bender 4057 posts

Multiplayer QTE Suggestion

[ Edited ]
19 replies 231 views Edited Feb 5, 2013

I noticed in one of the videos about Ascension's multiplayer where two players would clash swords/weapons if they attacked at the same time. I know this was taken out because it "slowed down gameplay"; however, what if they brought it back, but with a QTE element (Quick Time Event, incase someone didn't know)?

It can be triggered only when 'Triangle' moves hit at the same, so it doesn't happen that often.

For example:

'X' player charges up a 'Triangle' hit, so does player 'Y'. Their weapons would then meet, and a QTE would trigger. Whoever presses more displayed buttons during that QTE would win, which would then grant a minor stun (similiar to the stun that triggers when you're kicked up against a wall). If that is too powerful, then the winning player will be granted a chance to grab the enemy, but only for a split second (they will be placed too far to start a combo).

It wouldn't slow down gameplay, and it sure would make things more intense. 

If players 'X' and 'Y' acheive the same input numbers, then both the players will slide back (sorta like the Manticore wing clap, but nowhere near as powerful).

You wouldn't lose health for winning or losing either, just a minor stun leading to the chain grab or a combo (which I understand a combo can be table-turning).

Anyone else think this is fair?

Addition: I can't believe I forgot this, but as DaJizzle stated, the two players would not be able to be interrupted.

photo Sig_zps70d8d3f0.jpg
Message 1 of 20 (231 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
739 posts

Re: Multiplayer QTE Suggestion

Feb 5, 2013
I actually think that's cool with the stun state. I think they need to implement the "clash system" to some extent. They could put iFrames around the two engaged players so they could not be attacked by others while engaged. A series of quick button prompts like you've stated should do the trick. Great idea! :smileyhappy:
Message 2 of 20 (217 Views)
Fender Bender
4057 posts

Feb 5, 2013

DaJizzle wrote:
I actually think that's cool with the stun state. I think they need to implement the "clash system" to some extent. They could put iFrames around the two engaged players so they could not be attacked by others while engaged. A series of quick button prompts like you've stated should do the trick. Great idea! :smileyhappy:

That's what I forgot! Thanks. I added it :smileyhappy:

Message 3 of 20 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
739 posts

Feb 5, 2013
No prob!
Message 4 of 20 (209 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
253 posts

Feb 5, 2013
Excellent idea on paper (one that I personally really enjoy).

Would be impossible to execute though due to lag. I mean it's hard enough to consistently do square+square+grapple during an air juggle (sometimes the opponent fully resets after the second light attack).
Message 5 of 20 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2273 posts

Feb 5, 2013

Things like this are a bad idea because it creates an unfair advantage anywhere QTE is present with a mashing prompt. People use Turbo controllers which automatically grants them whatever requires a mashing sequence.

I noticed a couple people using them in the beta, and while there isn't really a need for them people will still use them.

Message 6 of 20 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4057 posts

Feb 5, 2013

SILVERX200 wrote:

Things like this are a bad idea because it creates an unfair advantage anywhere QTE is present with a mashing prompt. People use Turbo controllers which automatically grants them whatever requires a mashing sequence.

I noticed a couple people using them in the beta, and while there isn't really a need for them people will still use them.

Who said there would be mashing? There would be different buttons (Circle, X, Square, Triangle) popping up at seperate and random times.

Message 7 of 20 (179 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Feb 5, 2013

SILVERX200 wrote:

I didn't realize they still had turbo controllers, lol.  It would give it a nice depth for and clash but I'm not a fan of the QTE for MP to be honest.  I think we'll see a lot of it as in the past with SP.

Message 8 of 20 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5585 posts

Feb 5, 2013

@d1v4d I Like The Idea A Lot Of QTE In The Heat Of Combat To Tip The Odds A Bit .

How About Other Buttons As Well ? Such As The L1 & R1 Trigger And Even The L3 & R3 Analogs .Lol

Maybe Also Have Them Show Up At Random In The Four Areas Of The Display . 

This Would Keep Every Warrior On Alert, And Balance Out Warriors Of Different Rank Levels .

+1 Kudos Keep It Up My Shade Brother .Lol

TLoU GotY 2013 .
Message 9 of 20 (154 Views)
Fender Bender
4057 posts

Feb 5, 2013

stripesmarine wrote:

@d1v4d I Like The Idea A Lot Of QTE In The Heat Of Combat To Tip The Odds A Bit .

How About Other Buttons As Well ? Such As The L1 & R1 Trigger And Even The L3 & R3 Analogs .Lol

Maybe Also Have Them Show Up At Random In The Four Areas Of The Display . 

This Would Keep Every Warrior On Alert, And Balance Out Warriors Of Different Rank Levels .

+1 Kudos Keep It Up My Shade Brother .Lol

I like that addition! Good call :smileywink:

Message 10 of 20 (147 Views)