Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 11 2012
By: tripleWRECK PlayStation MVP 3236 posts

My feedback from 20+ hours of play

[ Edited ]
5 replies 187 views Edited Dec 11, 2012

First off let me say I'm a huge fan of GoW and while I was skeptical of MP being added with Ascension (as no doubt many are), I must admit I've been won over.

I'm really enjoying the gameplay overall, there's a fun cat-and-mouse element to the combat along with a good amount of strategy and reflexes. FFA is chaotic fun but my main enjoyment is coming from the objective based team mode. Loving the take on domination with some GoW flare to make it more interesting.

Anyway I've played a solid few days of this beta and have done my best to try out everything it has to offer.

Of course I realize that you may already be aware of some of these and could be working on any number of additional features behind the scenes. However these are my initial suggestions:

- Parrying is underused because grappling is too easy for a competent player. Heavy attacks already go through parry, I believe making players immune to grapple while parrying would aid balance. Even then I'm unsure if parrying would be fixed, dodge is almost always a better option given my experiences in both dishing out pain and recieving it.

- Respawns are not forced after a set amount of time, allowing players to exploit and give themselves an advantage of when to spawn or outright delay indefinitely in a 1v1.

- The hammer power weapon is a little too dominant, ring-outs are insanely easy and inescapable corner-stomping happens constantly. It also respawns too frequently in Team Favor matches.

- Occasionally some of the sound will cut out during a brutal kill finisher, sometimes it's the music or the sound effects.

- Occasionally a clear and obvious kill will not be awarded to a player and instead is counted as a neutral "world/AI" kill (happens almost exclusively in FFA).

Further unlockable combos would add to the combat immensely.

- The match summary screen should display more information about the round i.e. special feats you accomplished, your record against your nemesis, progress you earned toward unlocks, any unlocks you earned, etc. Also the XP progress bar does not continue on to the next level if you rank up (glitch?).

- We should be able to see the rank of players in the pre-game lobby, along with statistical information and perhaps a look at their character.

- It would be fantastic to customize the colors/skins the armor pieces and weapons to give players more personalization.

- A practice/sparing mode with bots would be a nice addition.

- A 1v1 playlist would be a lot of fun for hardcore players. Personally I've found 1v1 FFA games (due to the currently-small player pool) to be some of the most intense and enjoyable games I've played yet.

Edits, Commentaries, Community Videos, and LULZ!
Message 1 of 6 (187 Views)
PlayStation MVP
49161 posts

Re: My feedback from 20+ hours of play

Dec 11, 2012

tripleWRECK wrote:

First off let me say I'm a huge fan of GoW and while I was skeptical of MP being added with Ascension (as no doubt many are), I must admit I've been won over.

I'm really enjoying the gameplay overall, there's a fun cat-and-mouse element to the combat along with a good amount of strategy and reflexes. FFA is chaotic fun but my main enjoyment is coming from the objective based team mode. Loving the take on domination with some GoW flare to make it more interesting.

Anyway I've played a solid few days of this beta and have done my best to try out everything it has to offer.

Of course I realize that you may already be aware of some of these and could be working on any number of additional features behind the scenes. However these are my initial suggestions:

- Parrying is underused because grappling is too easy for a competent player. Heavy attacks already go through parry, I believe making players immune to grapple while parrying would aid balance. Even then I'm unsure if parrying would be fixed, dodge is almost always a better option given my experiences in both dishing out pain and recieving it.

- Respawns are not forced after a set amount of time, allowing players to exploit and give themselves an advantage of when to spawn or outright delay indefinitely in a 1v1.

- The hammer power weapon is a little too dominant, ring-outs are insanely easy and inescapable corner-stomping happens constantly. It also respawns too frequently in Team Favor matches.

- Occasionally some of the sound will cut out during a brutal kill finisher, sometimes it's the music or the sound effects.

- Occasionally a clear and obvious kill will not be awarded to a player and instead is counted as a neutral "world/AI" kill (happens almost exclusively in FFA).

- The match summary screen should display more information about the round i.e. special feats you accomplished, your record against your nemesis, progress you earned toward unlocks, any unlocks you earned, etc. Also the XP progress bar does not continue on to the next level if you rank up (glitch?).

- We should be able to see the rank of players in the pre-game lobby, along with statistical information and perhaps a look at their character.

- It would be fantastic to customize the colors/skins the armor pieces and weapons to give players more personalization.

- A 1v1 playlist would be a lot of fun for hardcore players. Personally I've found 1v1 FFA games (due to the currently-small player pool) to be some of the most intense and enjoyable games I've played yet.

Your feedback mirrors my opinions so far but I'm only a few hours into the beta.  

Its tough being new a bit, the matchmaking needs to take character level into account more than it does now (or we just need a bigger beta player base, probably this instead :smileywink:)

Message 2 of 6 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1958 posts

Dec 11, 2012

tripleWRECK wrote:

I agree with this. I would really like to see some sort of "air dodge" because you are a sitting duck in those accasions. Some of the attacks, mainly Zeus attacks, are almost impossible to avoid in a 20 ft radius and dodging only does so much. Sometimes I'm able to jump out of the Zeus "Blackhole Attack" but I'd like to utilize the speed of these high-tier warriors a bit more. I understand the purpose of making the parry last as long as it does because it would just be counterattack after counterattack. No need for Assassins Creed tactics here. I would like to see the dodge be able to string attacks together. I've become pretty proficent (in my mind) with the dodge and I am able to avoid "home run" hammer attacks and a few power attacks with the dodge mechanic. If we could somehow bridge the dodge with the ability to do a quick strike, players who do hit-n-run tactics like myself would have an edge agaisnt a slow bruiser. 

Agree

Juggling is almost as bad as it is in Tekken lol. I think we understand the purpose of "staggering" your opponent but sometimes it's almost impossible to avoid a juggle. As triple stated, getting "wall banged" is almost unavoidable when stacked up agaisnt multiple players or one in a corner. Again, I think the dodge mechanic, if used correctly, would greatly increase the ability to avoid such tactics. 

That's just you...lol I'm kidding. It's happened a few times. 

Hey man, don't steal my thunder. lol. 

Agreed. On another note, it would be cool to have a finishing move screen...somewhat like Far Cry 3 does with it's Mercy or Death option. It would be cool for the winning team or player to show off a bit. 

Agreed

Hey man, this ain't Uncharted...lol. I'd love the ability to mess with the colors and make a Shredder-like character. I mean his helmet is already in the game....

Yeah, as DBL mentioned. I think Tank had said they are working on that somewhere in here. 

Is it me or do some traps not stay set? It seems like mine mostly just go off when I pull them but never stay "held" in position like others do. 

http://us.playstation.com/ambassadorprogram/terms-and-conditions/

Twitter: @TryceUp

EOR

USN 04-08
Message 3 of 6 (169 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6516 posts

Apr 3, 2013
Great feedback!!!
Message 4 of 6 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
527 posts

Apr 3, 2013
My problems with MP:

1) When I fall off the edge of the map, it should be a suicide or a neutral kill but it gets credited to my opponent in team modes.

2) Wall-banging or getting cornered by 3 people is too much to the point that you cannot escape.

3) Juggling is too much. I can get 80% of my health gone. It sucks that I don't know how to use it and would be reluctant to do so.

4) Parrying is too hard and tricky to use. I never use it.

5) The matchmaking and host mitigating system

6) The Spear of Destiny & Barbarian Hammer and Cronos Blade frag system
Message 5 of 6 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4316 posts

Apr 3, 2013

XavierSaviour wrote:
My problems with MP:

1) When I fall off the edge of the map, it should be a suicide or a neutral kill but it gets credited to my opponent in team modes.
It's annoying, but I think it should stay that way. It deters people from suiciding to deprive their opponent of a point.  Which would be more frustrating to you?  For me, it'd be constantly not getting a kill 'cause someone jumped off a cliff at the last second.

2) Wall-banging or getting cornered by 3 people is too much to the point that you cannot escape.
Yeah, apparently the only way you can escape is to lag like a mofo.  Seems to work for those guys.  Not for me.  Part of the game though.  If you had proper team support, they couldn't do it, could they?  I think it's cheap, I think it's frustrating - that's why you need items.  You can get away then. If not, well you suck it up and hey, at least you distracted 3 guys while hopefully your team is capturing an altar or something.

3) Juggling is too much. I can get 80% of my health gone. It sucks that I don't know how to use it and would be reluctant to do so.
i guess I wouldn't mind if juggling were less effective.  I don't really bother with the massive juggle strings.  Just combos here and there. I don't see it changing except for some of the infinites.

4) Parrying is too hard and tricky to use. I never use it.
The problem with parrying is it's slow to respond, especially if you're getting attacked (which is kind of when you need it).  If the input reaction time were faster, I'd use it more.  In its current implementation, I use it only now and then.

5) The matchmaking and host mitigating system
Agreed, it's garbage.  I think you meant host migration, which we also need in a bad, bad way.

6) The Spear of Destiny & Barbarian Hammer and Cronos Blade frag system
Cronos blade works, it just takes time.  I started hopping around multiplayer modes, trying 2v2 and CTF and I got Cronos unlocked fairly quickly.  Within a few days at most.  Spear of Destiny and the Barbarian Hammer are glitched right now and it has been well documented. SSM knows.

Oh, and welcome to the forums, Triple.  I remember you from the Uncharted forums.   Ascension MP is a good time, when it's not violently anger inspiring.

----------------------
She's going to have to fall on her sword. Which means that we have to stick one in the ground, trip her onto it and get someone to jump up and down on her back for ten minutes. --

Malcolm Tucker. Modern day saint.
Message 6 of 6 (78 Views)