Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 20 2013
By: arbitor365 Splicer 66 posts

Randomize fountains to stop farmers (Team favor)

[ Edited ]
10 replies 301 views Edited Jan 20, 2013

im sure im not the only one why has noticed a problem of zeus users (in team favor of the gods) farming MP from the lower level, as well as people who immediately make a mad dash for the HP fountain on the upper level, any time they are losing a fight. I think that the reliability and consistency of these fountains encourages people to abuse them

so, I propose that the fountains randomly alternate between being health or mana. Now, I dont mean like how it is in "favor of the gods" where it alternates every ten seconds or so. I mean, that it still runs on the same time scale as it currently does, but its a total toss up if it is health or mana. meaning, that people cant simply hang around it, and expect to farm magic, so that they can spam the lightning storm attack. and people cant run to it, in the heat of combat, knowing that in a few seconds it will heal them.

by doing this it would remove a major "cheapness" element from the game. and im sure it wouldnt be difficult to do. please consider it

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (301 Views)
Fender Bender
4057 posts

Re: Randomize fountains to stop farmers (Team favor)

Jan 20, 2013

Good suggestion, but I don't know. Sometimes even after a brutal fight, it's good to know that there is health there.

photo Sig_zps70d8d3f0.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (292 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Jan 20, 2013

I think this is a wonderful idea.  I often find Zeus players camping the lower level of TFOG around the magic dispensor, spamming the lightning on any enemy trying to capture the lower point.  It becomes impossible to capture that lower point until the Zeus enemy is dead, even if he is on the lower side of the fence barrier.  Great point.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
296 posts

Jan 20, 2013

The bigger problem is that mana is spawned on one of the Caputure points, alas that makes that point all the more important. You can argue that if people are camping the health shrine they aren't protecting any real game mode asset, ie points, capture locations.

TBH cureently the map layout and objectives are fairly balanced.

You have Zeus who's relics grant mana, and Ares grants health, if you choose those.

The mana location does need to placed further away from that lower middle cap point though to reduce spam and radius effecting the caputure point.

That's about it.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (289 Views)
Fender Bender
4057 posts

Jan 20, 2013

FieryCaptain wrote:

The bigger problem is that mana is spawned on one of the Caputure points, alas that makes that point all the more important. You can argue that if people are camping the health shrine they aren't protecting any real game mode asset, ie points, capture locations.

TBH cureently the map layout and objectives are fairly balanced.

You have Zeus who's relics grant mana, and Ares grants health, if you choose those.

The mana location does need to placed further away from that lower middle cap point though to reduce spam and radius effecting the caputure point.

That's about it.

I like that idea.

photo Sig_zps70d8d3f0.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
296 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 20, 2013

BTW any kind of randomness element placed in games, automatically strives towards a non competitive environment, it's not good overall for the health of the game..... Fix the problem which is the mana placement relative to the capture point, the rest is beating a dead horse and or issue is non-existant....

That lower point is made a priority by the dev's, it's evident based on initial spawn locations, and when the spear spawns it offers the portal to access the mana, it's a real focal point...That lower location needs to be expanded in map real estate closer to the portal instead of the other way around currently. Sadly this far down the Dev cycle probably means it will never happen.....Changes like this need to occur in Aplha testing and that was probably inhouse testers....

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Jan 20, 2013

d1v4d wrote:

Good suggestion, but I don't know. Sometimes even after a brutal fight, it's good to know that there is health there.

i know. I do it sometimes too. but I still recognize that its incredibly cheap and i feel a bit guilty afterwards.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (274 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Jan 20, 2013

FieryCaptain wrote:

BTW any kind of randomness element placed in games, automatically strives towards a non competitive environment, it's not good overall for the health of the game.....

personally, I would rather that things like fountains and power weapons were not even a part of the game to begin with, but since they are here to stay, I think its much less pragmatic to have them consistently appear in one spot, where people have already begun exploiting them. This consitently diverts attention away from the real game, and in many cases derails it. i think we need to pick the lesser of two evils here.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (261 Views)
First Son
23 posts

Jan 20, 2013

FieryCaptain wrote:

BTW any kind of randomness element placed in games, automatically strives towards a non competitive environment, it's not good overall for the health of the game..... Fix the problem which is the mana placement relative to the capture point, the rest is beating a dead horse and or issue is non-existant....

That lower point is made a priority by the dev's, it's evident based on initial spawn locations, and when the spear spawns it offers the portal to access the mana, it's a real focal point...That lower location needs to be expanded in map real estate closer to the portal instead of the other way around currently. Sadly this far down the Dev cycle probably means it will never happen.....Changes like this need to occur in Aplha testing and that was probably inhouse testers....

I agree, and a potential relatively effective/easy change would be move the mana fountain to the center platform beneath the health fountain (where the boots usually spawn), the teleporter to the location of the altar and the altar to the location of the teleporter. Although this may have been tried/may not work at all, just a thought.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (259 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
296 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 20, 2013

arbitor365 wrote:

FieryCaptain wrote:

BTW any kind of randomness element placed in games, automatically strives towards a non competitive environment, it's not good overall for the health of the game.....

personally, I would rather that things like fountains and power weapons were not even a part of the game to begin with, but since they are here to stay, I think its much less pragmatic to have them consistently appear in one spot, where people have already begun exploiting them. This consitently diverts attention away from the real game, and in many cases derails it. i think we need to pick the lesser of two evils here.

Well if we're talking about the team based modes it really doesn't derail the game, unless those players wish to lose that game mode. Kills offer little points relative to favor and object, and if people are waiting for world weapons to spawn they'll lose.

Consistency instead of randomness if well designed within the game and or mode offers these focal points and or strengths/weakness. Without them the game isn't competitive and you may as well spend your time in Vegas.

Like I said the problem with the mana is it's location, nothing more.

If you have complaints about the world weapons and their strengths there are countless threads regard those...

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (257 Views)
0 Likes