Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Re: Red PS3! God of War Edition!

Feb 5, 2013

@ stripesmarine , DaJizzle

Money is tight for the majority of people right now. MSRP needs to be really competitive for them to do well.

Personally I'm really weary of buying a 1st gen,  of Sony's products any more ( I do miss my FAT system dearly). They seem to have problems out of the gate and not recalling them to fix their mistakes only costs you from being loyal to them. Some are lucky without any real problems but realistically they need to look at how the average gamer uses their console. Adult owned , well kept consoles are even being the ones that have issues.

I really hope they look at cooling the inside of their consoles much better and instead of the thermal paste and unleaded solder they are using , look at alternatives that are still RoHS compliant. Also a way to clean the inside of the system without voiding the warranty would be awesome.

Message 41 of 70 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
739 posts

Feb 5, 2013
@rachelnlucas

I agree completely. Failure rate is a huge problem for electronics in general, but a way to clean your system without voiding your warranty would be greatly appreciated. I still have my fatty (she's my baby LOL!) and I've upgraded it to a 120GB from a 60GB. I hope that (when they do announce the successor to the PS3) they don't subtract features as the console grows in the life cycle (the fat PS3s have way more features than the current PS3s and Slims), and that they keep the price competitive. I think the price point of the PS3 drove a lot of loyal fans to give the XBox a try. Hell, there was a $200 price difference.

Another thing is I hope...I HOPE they do not raise the price of the games from $60. Most titles aren't even worth $60. Of course GOW isn't one of them. Smiley Happy But in this economy, people can't really afford to buy games at $60 which is why places that accept trade-ins shot through the roof this gen. There needs to be some quality budget titles. I remember Ratchet and Clank was a budget title on the PS2 ($40). But when it hit the PS3 it was $60. I'm like...WTH. I like R&C but that is just an example of how nearly every title that hits the market now has to start at $60 and that needs to stop.
Message 42 of 70 (140 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 5, 2013

@DaJizzle

EXACTLY what I was thinking about when PS3 wasn't doing so well.  PS2 DOMINATED then all the sudden Sony was like in last place.

True- you got a blu-ray player in the console.  I think the overall usage price was closer than people realize if you were gaming online at all.  (PSN vs XBOX Live)  Sony really should have marketed the whole PSN is free.

I completely agree that the games must NOT got up in price. Now days they focus so much on graphics because they will get criticizes  so heavily on this that sometimes the story and game play fall short. Then there are the games that were really good but WAY TOO SHORT. *cough* *Heavenly Sword* *cough*

Just better to rent these titles if you can. Great game, not worth $60 due to length.

HATED that they reduced the USB ports and took out the SD Card. Then there is the fact that you can play downloaded versions of PS2 games you have to buy again but not the discs you already own on the newer systems. I understand there may have been a law suit or something but still.

Also the firmware "upgrades" , they also started taking away from what they originally had and originally marketed.

Maybe if they gave a 2 year warranty on their new system  and a way NOT to loose all your stuff I'd seriously consider it without too much thought if it was reasonably priced. As of now I'm setting it out till I hear some feedback a few months down the road.

Message 43 of 70 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5591 posts

Feb 5, 2013

@DaJizzle I Completely Agree With You Mr.Jizzle .

The Only Games I See As Worthy Of Being Sold As $60 Are Top Tier Titles From SSM, ND, Quantic Dream, Rockstar, And Other Developers ...

But I Have A Feeling Next Gen. Will Be The "Surge" Of The PSN "Downloadable" Titles Such As This Gen. Had Later In It's Cycle (Unfinished Swan, Papo & Yo, Journey)

If The Walking Dead Broke Barriers This Gen. As Being A Game Of The Year Title, Against Triple A Developers Like Ubisoft, Bethesda, EA, 2K Games ...

This Is Only The Beggining For Smaller Level Studios And Indie Developers To Take A Sizeable Percentage Of The Software Market Next Gen .

They Have A Straight Line Now With Sony Being Able To Assist In The Development Of 1st Party Exclusives .

If Anything, Maybe We As Consumers Might Be The Driving Force In Deciding What Really Defines A $60 Experience Versus A $30 Experience .

Just Something To Think About Next Gen.

But The Future Looks Bright On Feb. 2oth .Lol

TLoU GotY 2013 .
Message 44 of 70 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
739 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 5, 2013

@rachelnlucas and stripesmarine

I agree with the both of you. I would like if they didn't reduce the number of features with Firmware updates as they have so often done with the PS3. And I know all too much about the good game, short length, wrong price tag (Binary Domain - check it out, IT'S GREAT!).

That's why I think we need a resurgence of the quality budget title. As a customer, $40 looks better than $60+ for a new title. Without this "budget" genre of titles. Ratchet and Clank, Jak, and other titles wouldn't have garnered the fan base that they have now.

And the emergence of the Indie developer is huge! Especially with Kickstarter and other crowd funding sites that help them raise their budget. There have been some quality titles from Indie developers (Joe Danger! Love that game and Castle Crashers) that are great in nearly every critical aspect and don't break the bank.

What I would like to see from the PS3 successor is

1. A customer fair price point (it's a known fact that most companies take a lost on the console for some time).

2. The return of quality budget titles

3. NO PRICE JUMP IN THE COST OF GAMES! $60 is more than enough for the standard edition.

4. No removal of features as the console grows older.

5. Digital titles that are less expensive than physical copies (Game companies get this wrong...SO WRONG. Ex. Dead Space 3 shouldn't be $60 at retail and as digital download).

6. Proper cloud gaming (I'm personally not in to this, but some are - - lag is a no no here).

7. Maybe some type of game rental service through PSN. You can already rent movies. Why not games. That may help balance the used games market and other second hand markets.

8. Legit ways to fix/upgrade your console without voiding your warranty (though I do like the upgrading of the HD part now).

9. "2 year warranty" sounds good. Thanks @rachelnlucas

Just to name some. Also, I'm not opposed to them selling the MP separate from the SP in some games. I thought it worked well for KZ3 and Starhawk (especially since the MP is strongest aspect of both of these). Also, Fight Night Champion did this also.

This sounds like a successful business model to me. Give the customers a little leeway and some viable options and we'll give heaps of cash in return. Smiley Very Happy

Message 45 of 70 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4062 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 5, 2013

DaJizzle wrote:

@rachelnlucas and stripesmarine

I agree with the both of you. I would like if they didn't reduce the number of features with Firmware updates as they have so often done with the PS3. And I know all too much about the good game, short length, wrong price tag (Binary Domain - check it out, IT'S GREAT!).

That's why I think we need a resurgence of the quality budget title. As a customer, $40 looks better than $60+ for a new title. Without this "budget" genre of titles. Ratchet and Clank, Jak, and other titles wouldn't have garnered the fan base that they have now.

And the emergence of the Indie developer is huge! Especially with Kickstarter and other crowd funding sites that help them raise their budget. There have been some quality titles from Indie developers (Joe Danger! Love that game and Castle Crashers) that are great in nearly every critical aspect and don't break the bank.

What I would like to see from the PS3 successor is

1. A customer fair price point (it's a known fact that most companies take a lost on the console for some time).

2. The return of quality budget titles

3. NO PRICE JUMP IN THE COST OF GAMES! $60 is more than enough for the standard edition.

4. No removal of features as the console grows older.

5. Digital titles that are less expensive than physical copies (Game companies get this wrong...SO WRONG. Ex. Dead Space 3 shouldn't be $60 at retail and as digital download).

6. Proper cloud gaming (I'm personally not in to this, but some are - - lag is a no no here).

7. Maybe some type of game rental service through PSN. You can already rent movies. Why not games. That may help balance the used games market and other second hand markets.

8. Legit ways to fix/upgrade your console without voiding your warranty (though I do like the upgrading of the HD part now).

9. "2 year warranty" sounds good. Thanks @rachelnlucas

Just to name some. Also, I'm not opposed to them selling the MP separate from the SP in some games. I thought it worked well for KZ3 and Starhawk (especially since the MP is strongest aspect of both of these). Also, Fight Night Champion did this also.

This sounds like a successful business model to me. Give the customers a little leeway and some viable options and we'll give heaps of cash in return. Smiley Very Happy

I agree with pretty much everything, but these 2 worry me... a lot.

When I heard about the choke on used games, I automatically saw the impact on the people around me who couldn't afford dishing out $60. I hope it only goes uphill from here, but I doubt it, sadly.

photo Sig_zps70d8d3f0.jpg
Message 46 of 70 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
739 posts

Feb 5, 2013
@d1v4d

Yep. That's the real scary part. o.O
Message 47 of 70 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Feb 5, 2013

@d1v4d, DaJizzle, stripesmarine

If they are going more of the digital way instead of physical copies then definitely this needs to be reflected in the price. Not having machines and people have to make the physical copies , material cost of physical copies , and shipping 3rd party vendors needs to be reflected in the price.  I believe they are still the release price digitally for a long while because of the fact that it can be on 2 systems at once.

This needs to stop , still. We realize how much money they are saving with the digital downloads.

This proprietary system Sony has for their harddrive info  and motherboard having to match really puts a damper on things. Sony doesn't even send you back YOUR system after weeks of repair time and you lose all your data. The Xbox harddrive can be switch with no reformatting or loss to data.

That crap needs to stop.

DaJizzle, your Fatty ever goes out and you can't get back into your system because of the hardware failure....... You lose all your saves and everything unless you get that EXACT system fixed without issue. Sure you can try to back everything up on an external hard drive but some things are copyright protected and won't transfer over correctly or easily.  Might not get some of it to work at all.

I think a external hard drive that will accept the copy right materials needs to be given with the systems plus the 2 year warranty to put people's mind at easy.

@ EVERYONE, back-up your stuff seriously!!!!!!!!!

I too agree that the Indie games have really took off. Not to mention games you can get from PSN like UNO or Poker.  Cheap games people can play that they will enjoy. This along with cloud gaming will make huge leaps in the next decade.  Just hope they find a way to balance everything out with this. They do this in the wrong way and make console gaming way too much like PC gaming without some of the benefits and people will just turn to PC gaming.

Message 48 of 70 (93 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4062 posts

Feb 5, 2013

@rachelnlucas, stripesmarine, Dajizzle

That's what I'm hoping, also. At this point, I don't care that I have physical copies. I've only had 1 PS3 break on me which was back in 2010, I still have my 500GB PS3 to this day. If it broke down, I'd be screwed. I understand the cloud needs to step in and allow us to backup our data online. These moving pieces in this gen's consoles are bad news, and I'm pretty sure everyone had a bad experience with it. I know I have.

Looking at how Devil May Cry and Dead Spaces' prices are still stupid-high, I have a bad feeling about a "digital only" future. 

Lower the prices, and if not, make games bigger and better. They won't be limited by disk space anymore.

photo Sig_zps70d8d3f0.jpg
Message 49 of 70 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
739 posts

Feb 5, 2013
@d1v4d

If they go all digital next gen, then I'll be buying a lot less games. Sony security has been hacked once before, and while I did not have any CC information on file, many many others did. I understand that no one entity is full proof, but people aren't going to forget that anytime soon. We've gotten over it, but definitely have not forgotten it. It makes you nervous.

Then, there's the resale aspect. Physical copies can be sold, traded, etc. Digital copies cannot. I'm not a PC gamer, so I don't know how the PC market deals with this. Paying for cloud saves one thing, but with the failure rate of electronics in general no one wants to lose stuff because it's encrypted.

I fix computers from time to time and I'm always happy that you can backup your most important files free of charge. The game saves are the most important files for gamer and some don't backup without the cloud. Which is unfortunate.

As for the disk space not being limited, the great but most people Internet still is. I want to say that there's a 50 or 100GB cap for most ISPs. MGS4 was 45GB by itself. The latest trophy update was about 5-10GB (correct me if I'm wrong). With those limitations, I'm not looking towards an all digital future. I like my physical copies.
Message 50 of 70 (79 Views)
0 Likes