Fender Bender
4057 posts

Re: Skill-Based Match Making?

[ Edited ]
Feb 6, 2013

I played around 9 games with you while I was at that level also, m8.

Whatever it's telling me, hits you right in the back of the head :smileywink:

I'm hoping the matchmaking got ironed out properly.

photo Sig_zps70d8d3f0.jpg
Message 11 of 26 (186 Views)
Wastelander
739 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 6, 2013

@d1v4d

I'm wondering how they would do this? Do they balance out the teams based on the total number of favor points that a player has. Looking back at the stats they just released, a team (Team A) of 4 with each player having a total of 50k combined favor individually versus a team (Team B) of 4 with each player have 100k favor individually would be outmatched (obviously).

But what if it was (Team A) 2 with 100k and 2 with 50k versus (Team B) 2 with 100k and 2 with 50k. I would technically be a balanced match based upon such. It wouldn't go by god level but overall skill level. But it definitely needs to be explained how the match making sets up teams.

Message 12 of 26 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4057 posts

Feb 6, 2013

DaJizzle wrote:

@d1v4d

I'm wondering how they would do this? Do they balance out the teams based on the total number of favor points that a player has. Looking back at the stats they just released, a team (Team A) of 4 with each player having a total of 50k combined favor individually versus a team (Team B) of 4 with each player have 100k favor individually would be outmatched (obviously).

But what if it was (Team A) 2 with 100k and 2 with 50k versus (Team B) 2 with 100k and 2 with 50k. I would technically be a balanced match based upon such. It wouldn't go by god level but overall skill level. But it definitely needs to be explained how the match making sets up teams.

I honestly have no clue. Apparently they have their ways of knowing, but it's clearly not as fine-tuned as we'd hoped while playing the Beta.

If it is based on Favor, then that's a poor way to go about it. So many factors come into play when you rack-up Favor, skill is actually barely even in there.

As of now I think that's how it is, though. 

Message 13 of 26 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
739 posts

Feb 6, 2013
I agree. But with the stats released, they clearly stated that was the easiest way to compile that list. So, they may have been trying that out during the beta with the match making.
Message 14 of 26 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4057 posts

Feb 6, 2013

DaJizzle wrote:
I agree. But with the stats released, they clearly stated that was the easiest way to compile that list. So, they may have been trying that out during the beta with the match making.

Yup, and they also said there will be a "skill" based leadboard during the game, or something along those lines.

I'm stumped, got no clue.

Message 15 of 26 (147 Views)
Wastelander
739 posts

Feb 6, 2013
Kudos! So many of us feel the same way.
Message 16 of 26 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Match making is a tough one.  You are going to have teams of friends playing and skill wise may not be on the same level as each other.

There are so many ways and differences of opinion on how it should be done.

-skill ( obviously)

-level (for equipment fairness/ possibly presumed skill and familiarity)

-country/region ( lag issues)

-connection speed (lag issues)

Looks like what they tested in the beta by Just-Tanks response was actually level still , not actual skill. Maybe that is how they will view it anyway. They did go by overall XP for the list they put out. (not total kills or factoring in time played)

Any of these to go by might make match making run longer than it normally would without it especially when you factor in party/teams.

However you all bring up a good point...... if nothing is implemented at all there may be a LOT of rage quitting and frustration. A dash of boredom for those creating it.

Message 17 of 26 (136 Views)
Wastelander
869 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 7, 2013

I hate to keep going BACK to this, but SSM DID have a hand in the development of Twisted Metal...That being said:

In TM they actually had quite an ACCURATE "Skill" rating (0-100%) that accounted for many factors to determine your skill. Perhaps SSM is using a similar formula here?

A few problems with TM's skill formula:

1) It favored only DM or TDM modes (other modes would almost assuredly LOWER your skill rating based on the formula, no matter how well you did)

B) Certain "styles" of play would benefit your skill rating...for example, kill stealing was an easy way to give you a favored skill.

III) Upon having a rough start, one could back out (as long as your KDR =/> 1:1) and not have an adverse affect on skill. Obviously a 7-6 KDR with daqmage done and damage received being almost 1:1 would have an adverse affect on your skill...but backing out could prevent that "hit" to skill rating.

If skill is visible or hidden, matchmaking on random games COULD be a problem with the above circumstances but honestly, the way TM's skill was factored it seemed to not matter much since there was a "Games List" to choose from and you could avoid the cheapp players quite easily (once you learned who they were anyways).

I like skill-based matchmaking, especially in skill-based games. I think a good formula could avert many lopsided matches in this way. There will always be problems in matchmaking systems. Have you EVER played a multiplayer game where matchmaking WASN'T a problem? I hope to see some kind of TM-like matchmaking system in GoW:A.

Message 18 of 26 (122 Views)
Fender Bender
4057 posts

Feb 7, 2013

SirCrush wrote:

I hate to keep going BACK to this, but SSM DID have a hand in the development of Twisted Metal...That being said:

In TM they actually had quite an ACCURATE "Skill" rating (0-100%) that accounted for many factors to determine your skill. Perhaps SSM is using a similar formula here?

A few problems with TM's skill formula:

1) It favored only DM or TDM modes (other modes would almost assuredly LOWER your skill rating based on the formula, no matter how well you did)

B) Certain "styles" of play would benefit your skill rating...for example, kill stealing was an easy way to give you a favored skill.

III) Upon having a rough start, one could back out (as long as your KDR =/> 1:1) and not have an adverse affect on skill. Obviously a 7-6 KDR with daqmage done and damage received being almost 1:1 would have an adverse affect on your skill...but backing out could prevent that "hit" to skill rating.

If skill is visible or hidden, matchmaking on random games COULD be a problem with the above circumstances but honestly, the way TM's skill was factored it seemed to not matter much since there was a "Games List" to choose from and you could avoid the cheapp players quite easily (once you learned who they were anyways).

I like skill-based matchmaking, especially in skill-based games. I think a good formula could avert many lopsided matches in this way. There will always be problems in matchmaking systems. Have you EVER played a multiplayer game where matchmaking WASN'T a problem? I hope to see some kind of TM-like matchmaking system in GoW:A.

Twisted Metal's skill system was decent, nothing amazing. Mine hovered around 96+ at all times, but I did have to work my a** off during the objective-based modes.

I hope K/D isn't anything big in Ascension, wouldn't make sense.

Message 19 of 26 (106 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 7, 2013

it'll completely make sense if the match making had like an [ average XP during last 5 matches based match making], anyone played Crysis 3 beta?...it had this feature and it was so much fun. When i just started my average XP was about 600 and I was teamed up and put up against people with similar average XP after a couple of days when my average XP was like 5000 and I played with and against similar people...it's completely making sense. You cant just put level 1 people against level 25 people and expect them to enjoy multiplayer...it'll be slaughter. 

Message 20 of 26 (100 Views)
0 Likes