Jan 30 2013
By: kb4983 Hekseville Citizen 388 posts

Special Attacks/Items HUD

12 replies 248 views Edited Jan 30, 2013

Posting this up, as I had some minor issues with the HUD while playing the beta and I wanted to get the feedback out there to the devs.

During matches I found the Specials/Item area of the HUD to not be quite as useful as it should have been. When playing and focusing on an intense match I felt the Specials/Item icons didn't stand out enough when becoming useable to really be noticed easily by a players peripheral vision. Instead one would have to keep a close eye to ensure the ability they were about to use, was in fact available to be activated.

Several times I would go to activate a Special Attack because it looked available when it wasn't, which in the heat of battle, can be quite costly. It seemed like on had to keep a pretty close eye on the HUD in order to know when a Special was available.

I feel the reason is because the Amber hues used are very close to each other and it makes it hard to really differentiate between a useable and non-useable Special Attack.

Examples Below:

both_useable_square_dark.jpg

recharge_comparison.jpg

I think it would be helpful to make the icons really light up. I know they do light up, but to me, the difference seemed negligible. Here's an idea of what I mean by really light up:

zeus_tri.jpg

I was also thinking the devs could take it one step further and make the color of the icons change from the amber color when recharging, into the corresponding color of the god you swear allegiance to.

Ares Example:

ares_sqr.jpg

Hades Example:

hades_sqr.jpg

Poseidon Example:

poseidon_sqr.jpg

Zeus Example:

zeus_sqr.jpg

This would make it instantly recognizable when a Special Attack is available and whole lot easier to spot without having to take your eyes off the action.

Even if the devs don't go with the color coded god icons, I still think the icons should be easier to recognize from a peripheral vision standpoint so players don't have to take their eyes off the intense action quite so often.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (248 Views)
Splicer
84 posts

Re: Special Attacks/Items HUD

Jan 30, 2013
I agree that it needs to be alot more noticeable, but I'd just rather have that bright yellow regardless of god.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
388 posts

Jan 30, 2013

Yeah, I don't really care if they go with the individual god colors or not. I just threw them in there for fun!

But I really do hope they make it blatantly clear which abilities are useable and which ones are not in the final release because I don't think the beta icons were that easy to discern. Especially during the more chaotic moments of some of the matches I was in hahaha!

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (227 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5585 posts

Jan 30, 2013

@kb4983 You Are A True Genious Man !

I Love The Specifc God Color Alignment Heads Up Display For The L1 & L2 Special Buttons !

It Would Fit Perfectly And Best Of All Give You Definate Sign It Is Ready To Use At Any Moment .

I Forget About This Dilemma Until You Brought It Up For Discussion . Thnx

+1 Kudos My Good Pal .

; )

TLoU GotY 2013 .
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (225 Views)
Fender Bender
4057 posts

Jan 30, 2013

Very nice!

photo Sig_zps70d8d3f0.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (214 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Jan 30, 2013

That is a good point and a great idea kb4983 .

I too had to push the buttons a few times thinking they were ready and they weren't.

I like the different colors idea as it would be much more noticeable than a brighter yellow.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (205 Views)
Splicer
84 posts

Jan 30, 2013
On second thought, I guess the different colours would be alright. Its just that some colours stand out more than others, which makes things a bit less equal between gods. You did a great photoshopping job nethertheless :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5585 posts

Jan 30, 2013

The Only Negative Thing I See In This Is Players Who Are Color Blind, But A Quick Fix In The Options Would Adjust The Balancing Of Colors .

But I Only See Positive Aspects In Allowing Players To Know Exactly (By Using Your Peripherals) The Moment The Specials Are Ready To Be Used Again In Combat .

I Think Most Of Us Will Agree Of This, "The More Customization A Player Is Allowed To Have, The More Diverse And Interesting Experience We Will All Remember ." 

But SSM Knows This All To Well ; )

TLoU GotY 2013 .
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (183 Views)
Wastelander
676 posts

Jan 30, 2013
Nice idea, even though it was Beta and things were kinda lacking I'm sure everything will work out when the game is released.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
296 posts

Jan 30, 2013

Nice request, HUDs can always use some fine tuning and refining.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (172 Views)
0 Likes