Highlighted
May 06 2013
By: DaJizzle Wastelander 739 posts

The Honey Moon Is Over

[ Edited ]
71 replies 657 views Edited May 9, 2013

Yep. You heard it right. Come Sunday, May 12th, this latest edition in this award winning franchise would have been available at retail for 2 months. I, personally, feel cheated, frustrated, and lied to by one of my favoritie developers.

First off, this entry is a backstep within the franchise. Like it, love it, or hate it this is not debatable. Why am I being harsh? I'm being truthful. I expected more especially after the wonderful experience I had with the beta. I even created a thread about it. Smiley Happy

Why do I feel cheated?

Well, I believe they mishandled the entire ROTW rewards and preorder XP boosters. Have they made up for it? Sort of. But then there was the XP bug introduced in 1.04. I've watched all the behind the scenes videos, especially the one stating how lag/latency is pratically non-existent in the MP. Lag is a MAJOR issue in the MP. There were also a ton of bugs within the SP and MP mode upon release. They have tried to patch it, but these problems are still pretty much prevelant. This game feels like a beta (especially the MP). The release of this game should have been pushed back in all seriousness. If GTAV (one of the industry's tru cash cows) can push back their release date, it's within reason to think that another major developer/publisher can do the same.

Why do I feel frustrated?

I'm frustrated by all of the problems. I personally had a near two week hiatus from this game and returned doing this 2XP weekend. It seemed as if the problems gotten more severe... like the framework/netcode is crumbling as you play. There aren't ANY custom options for matches. I've heard plenty of people say, "This is there first MP game. Cut them so slack." I say *bleep* NO! There are certain things that should have been mandatory for this game.

1/ Dedicated servers. As of now, the game picks the host based upon who has the best Internet connection. This player may not be that good. Can and has resulted in many rage quitting. PLUS, THERE'S AN ONLINE PASS WITH THIS GAME. Granted this may not have been the developers' decision, it ensures that more NEW copies of the game are purchased rather than used copies. That seemingly extra money could go towards having dedicated servers and making them stable. Least that's what I would think.

2/ 8 player party up. Many of us would like this. Smiley Happy Yeah, this may cause boosting problems but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. With the difficulty and stability of most matches, boosting is probably the furthest thing from most players pschye at this point.

3/ CUSTOM GAME OPTIONS. Many people complain about the "Rage" mode. Truth is that it doesn't work properly. Sometimes it take 3 deaths. Other times it takes more. I've tested this and it's one of the many inconsistent things plaguing the MP. Custom Game Options could eliminate this. But I'm guessing you'll need Dedicated Servers for that? Correct me if I'm wrong.

4/ Standard Game Modes. Death Match or Team Death Match? I know there was a survey about which game modes would you like to see. This Mode should have been on the standard checklist. Real Talk.

5/ The Mix Classes Bug. How this make it in the final release? It's bugs like this one and others that make you believe the game is still in beta. The "Superman" or "Peter Pan" bug is down right infuriating. Flew right off the cliff a few times because of this one last night. Smiley Sad

6/ FREEZE UPS. I thought I found a possible solution to this MAJOR problem. I was wrong. This damages player's working systems critcally to the point they either cannot play or completely comprises their system. This sounds like a possible class action lawsuit (in which I would consider joining). So, once again how does something like this make it pass QA of a first party developer?

7/ Misdescriptions. Huh? But the description said this move should do that. This is inexcusable. Really it just is. I'm proud to say that most of this has been addressed. But this is yet another reason why the release date should have been pushed back.

8/ Lag. Latency. Button Responsiveness. These things can deter the entire community from playing this game because it can make it really UNPLAYABLE. Both are still problems after patch 1.05 unfortunately.

9/ Physics and I-Frames. The physics are CRAZY in this game (MP of course). But the I-Frames are headache inducing sense there is a bug that allows a player to unknowingly abuse them for elonged amounts of time... like the ENTIRE MATCH. Smiley Happy

Various other things that I care not to lists, but you get the gist of it. Smiley Happy

Why do I feel lied to?

Most recent case. Information about DLC upcoming this week (which was last week). Yet, no information was given. Someone created a thread about a tweet, but SSM said the tweet was mistaken. W-T-F? When a patch releases, patch notes arrive WAAAAAAAAYYYYY later. I thought this was supposed to be the other way around. Patch notes then the actual releasing of the patch.

Someone other than the lovely Mrs. Nikki (aka Gypsy) can stop by the forums and speak with the community. That's asking a ton for her to endure our venom based upon the developers missteps. Two months and not a whisper of what the first DLC pack will contain (which probably should have already been released - I feel like my season DLC (which is keeping my interest and hope in the game) is wasting away. But to be truthful, I'd rather them fix the glaring issues in the game).

Players voice their concerns because they are passionate. Truth be told, you deserved to be cussed out behind the quality of this product. It being called trashed is warranted. Why you ask? Because the previous entries set the bar high. Players have come to expect the best of the best from the award winning team at Santa Monica Studios. Players invested good money into the studio based upon the previous quality of works. So, if you're feeling are hurt, get over it. Be thankful that people voice their concerns. That means they care about your product and their investment.

When players stop voicing their opinions, they'll stop playing which would be detrimental to the this MP going forward. I believe the SP is good to go. Six (ok five) epic experiences thus far. But if that is all what people will play this franchise for; then you'll see more people renting it, beating it in a night, and returning it back to RedBox.

The gameplay is addicting, but the many bugs, glitches, etc. will definitely cure that addiction. Ask yourselves Santa Monica Studios where do you see your product a year from it's release? Many of the community sees it sitting on their shelves or traded in at their local Gamestop. Give people a reason to continue playing or people will give up and move on which will hurt the next entry into the franchise. The honeymoon is over. Time to roll up sleeves and make the necesary adjustments. It's time to start gaining your reputation back. It's time to take this franchise back to the heights to which everyone is accustomed to it being at.

*Gives you a pat on the back* You can do it!

"Flesh that burns, bones that break; But to break a man's spirit is to truly destroy him" - Ares, GOW

Message 1 of 72 (657 Views)
I Only Post Everything
989 posts

Re: The Honey Moon Is Over

May 6, 2013
Well said. I love this game but it needs to be fixed and ur right it seems to be getting worse and worse everyday

Competition? Why yes, I would love some.
Message 2 of 72 (642 Views)
Wastelander
739 posts

May 6, 2013
Thanks bruh. During the beta it was a love/love relationship. Upon release it became a love/hate relationship with more love. Now it's a love/hate relationship with more hate. I'm holding on but growing tired.

"Flesh that burns, bones that break; But to break a man's spirit is to truly destroy him" - Ares, GOW
Message 3 of 72 (632 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1511 posts

May 6, 2013

Kudos to you, I fully agree, I actually stopped playing for a week now, until they bring proper fixes or find real solutions I wont really bother to get on.

Message 4 of 72 (608 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
533 posts

May 6, 2013
I feel the same, not to mention that i didnt get the double xp since 1.0.5... And im tyred of posting on the forums too, bc no one answer our questions, they only say: "soon" "are you using wired or wireless connection?"

Not to mention that just to play i have to flip my ps3 so the disc can be read (is the only game that does that to me)

but what botters me more is the silence from the devs. They dont tell us nothing about nothing
Message 5 of 72 (581 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
45 posts

[ Edited ]
May 6, 2013

Network issues/gltiches/bugs don't seem to affect me as much as others but I agree that my interest in Ascension's MP has taken a serious nosedive since its release; even with all the double/triple xp weekends they've been throwing at us. My biggest issue is the sparse amount of initial content available combined with the fact that all they've really added since the game's release two months ago is ten more levels to grind through (yay....) and some cosmetic tattoos for our characters.

All the DLC teases and MP surveys made it seem at first that SSM was really commited to supporting the MP community but now I'm not so sure....The fact that they'll most likely charge *more* money for any DLC they do end up releasing is yet even more salt in the wound.

As it currently stands, the game overall needs more weapon types (I'd say five at a minimum but I'd settle for one more bringing the total to four), more maps for Trial of the Gods (I love some of the PvP maps like Walls of Troy and Dedealus' Labrynth but I hate that I have to do PvP in order to play on them), more customizable options/playlists for game modes, more armor types, at least one new allegience (maybe Apollo, I remember someone presenting the idea of alligning with Titans as well) and maybe even more labors.

Until then I'm sad to say I doubt I'll be booting up Ascension's MP any time soon unless they do something crazy like a x5 xp weekend or something. The game has a ton of promise but it really does need a lot of work.

Message 6 of 72 (574 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
739 posts

[ Edited ]
May 6, 2013

@Uzaru

Thanks man. So much potential. But this "potential" can't stay potential forever.

@sNsReal

It's like this game has special needs. Them being silent about things only discourages and diminishes the community. There are several players on my friends list that I met here and they just don't post in these forums anymore. They barely play the game also. Not a good look.

@opposedcrow

I totally agree. This is like my letter to them to match the passion that the community has shown for their product.

Message 7 of 72 (563 Views)
Last Guardian
11800 posts

[ Edited ]
May 6, 2013

^theyre already busy churning out the next handheld game for the vita (as we all know). This game isnt gonna get too much attention.....it is priority 2 now :/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 8 of 72 (555 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1944 posts

May 6, 2013

^wouldnt ready at dawn do the vita god of war(which I hope it will be the last prequel we get, which would tell us how he met Athena and served Olympus)

Message 9 of 72 (546 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
739 posts

May 6, 2013
@Poseidon

Which is sad. If they make the community priority 2, then they can guarantee the community won't make them a priority at all. Real Shame.

Message 10 of 72 (545 Views)
0 Likes