Highlighted
Apr 13 2013
By: RegulineGorgon9 First Son 5 posts

Using the Spear of Hermes - Tips & Tricks?

[ Edited ]
7 replies 516 views Edited Apr 14, 2013

Hey, guys! Ive recently begun trying to use the Spear of Hermes after reading that it was considered an "S" class weapon by a few posters on the forum. However, the issue is that I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I found landing kills was difficult to accomplish, even after applying the Haste Aura and found that the impale was just doing too little damage. I ended up just using the Spear to capture objectives and chests quicker but I can imagine it's an amazing support weapon in CTF because of the Haste Aura. My primary mode, however, is TFotG.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions involving other gods or an adjusted Ares loadout for this particular weapon? I've unlocked all armor sets already. The best I can do with the Spear is break even with 2-2.

It's funny because I've been using the Hammer of Helios with Ares, which is best used with Zeus, using the same Loadout below, only switching in Relic of Ares Might, and went 11-2 which I find to be a decent score.

Loadout

Allegiance: Ares (R30)

Weapon: Spear of Hermes

Helmet: Fury Armor of Ares

Upper: Fury Armor of Ares

Lower: Fury Armor of Ares

Item: Eye of the Wolf

Magic: Ares Inferno

Relic: Relic of Harmony (after giving up on kills)

Thanks, all. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8 (516 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
869 posts

Re: Using the Spear of Hermes - Tips & Tricks?

Apr 14, 2013

I haven't used this spear much but just remember one thing: L1+[] goes through ANYTHING...Rage mode, elemental bubbles, ANYTHING. Be ready for it to blow up and launch your enemy. My personal favorite was throwing a spear through a bubble, then hitting them with a [] attack to pop the bubble (all but Zeus) and they will then launch if they aren't blocking for a quick followup opportunity. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8 (473 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
255 posts

Apr 14, 2013

rank S? yeeeah, not believin that in the slightest. its L1+[] doenst always launch an opponent. apparently it can impale them through anything they might try but its explosion can be blocked or even evaded. and the L1+/\ haste aura isnt really useful outside of CtF. so i too would love to know what it is people see in this spear

sorry i cant help you out any :/

Message 3 of 8 (452 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2388 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 14, 2013

I have never used Ares but im pretty sure he is all about physical damage, correct? If that is the case than that would explain why the spear isnt doin mch damage for u. The impale attack is all magic based so try using the spear with a different allegiance or buff ur magic power. Ive found success using it with my Zeus allegiance.

Try and float around the action, not directly in it. launch the spear and if they get knocked up go for the grapple. Even if the explosion off the impale is blocked u can charge up ur triangle attack and still get an air grapple. The speed aura is meant as a team buff, when used everyone on ur team or around u gets increased speed. It is not as useful in ffa but it can get u out of tight spots and helps u get the first hit on enemies. 

Message 4 of 8 (418 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Apr 14, 2013

What is the L1+T dash attack like after the buff? Is it strong/weak or just a "meh" attack that doesn't really do much but a little extra damage?

--------------------------------------------------
"Can you stand on your head?"

photo SparklyKitten3.jpg
Message 5 of 8 (405 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
403 posts

Apr 14, 2013

SparklyKitten wrote:

What is the L1+T dash attack like after the buff? Is it strong/weak or just a "meh" attack that doesn't really do much but a little extra damage?

The delay animation before using it is so slow it's not even worth using. (in my opinion)

photo Posiedon2.jpg
Message 6 of 8 (394 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4316 posts

Apr 14, 2013

BIueSteel wrote:

SparklyKitten wrote:

The delay animation before using it is so slow it's not even worth using. (in my opinion)

Not to mention it falls under the physical power category (or should) which made it pretty awful when i was trying to use it with my Zeus allegiance. >_<  

----------------------
She's going to have to fall on her sword. Which means that we have to stick one in the ground, trip her onto it and get someone to jump up and down on her back for ten minutes. --

Malcolm Tucker. Modern day saint.
Message 7 of 8 (376 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Apr 14, 2013
Seems like a weapon Hades would use, but even then it seems underpowered despite the movement speed buff. Also considering it IS the Spear of "Hermes", shouldn't the abilities not take ages to cast? The throw should have a faster cast time and the projectile should travel faster. Plus his L1+T should have a much faster attack time after using the buff, but that's balance! ;o

Although I would consider it OP if it's other abilities were stronger than they are. Has to be balanced somehow I guess?

--------------------------------------------------
"Can you stand on your head?"

photo SparklyKitten3.jpg
Message 8 of 8 (353 Views)
0 Likes