First Son
14 posts

Re: remove that spear of olympus cinematic!

Jan 15, 2013

ppl ppl the best thing to do is keep the cinematic but let the spear apear on different areas on the map and not the same place

Message 41 of 52 (155 Views)
Highlighted
SIEA
415 posts

Jan 15, 2013

We are looking at this for the final game, very seriously.

-Tank

Follow me @Just_Tank and @SonySantaMonica

Every day is community day!
Message 42 of 52 (147 Views)
Fender Bender
4062 posts

Jan 15, 2013

I love the idea of keeping the cinematic, but making the spear pop up in a different area. That's awesome.

photo Sig_zps70d8d3f0.jpg
Message 43 of 52 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
869 posts

Jan 15, 2013

I gave Kudos BUT I'd like to see some kind of cinematic...just a shorter one. It interrupts what players are doing as is...mnaybe just zoom out and let us continue  doing whatever it is we were doing?

Message 44 of 52 (134 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jan 15, 2013

I find the cinematic a great addition. Yes it gets annoying to see, because we are only given one map, but it's interruption effect on us is needed. If, for some reason, a HUGE spear came hurling through the air in my town, I'm probably going to stop what I'm doing. I've been on the BETA since day 2 and I have lost my chance at finishing some people because of it but I think the cinematic is needed. I agree with whoever said that this Enviro-killing weapon should be place in different areas of the map! If that happened, my loss of killing whomever just became less important if the spear is behind me!

Message 45 of 52 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
300 posts

Jan 15, 2013
i get that the team wants this to be cinematic, but if gameplay is interrupted for the sake of giving off a cinematic vibe, i am totally against it.

it can be said that it's also a lifesaver to many, but as much of a relief it is for people about to get brutal-killed, it's twice as frustrating for people who practically earned the kill, people who have been avoiding the titan's fist smash for 5 times in a row only to be caught the 6th time because of a forced, external, involuntary action. might as well died the first time the titan smashed that altar i was trying to capture.

it is probably impossible to stream two cameras at once to show both your screen and the spear cinematic, but please just remove it during gameplay.

my suggestion: just show it during the opening cinematic. an additional 5 seconds is nothing. just say, "here's where the spear of olympus will land" or something. better yet, place a marker (like a flag, or a "spear base" or any kind of marker like paint, etc.) on the spot. something that players won't miss, so that when the spear appears, just replace the spear icon indicator with whatever's on the floor where the spear lands.

like Kratos' emblem for example. put Kratos' face right on the spear's landing point. that will stick on players' minds. so when it appears, they'll know where to go. show it during the opening cinematic as the camera is hovering over the map. tell peeps that this is where the spear will land.
Message 46 of 52 (127 Views)
First Son
14 posts

Jan 15, 2013

[it is probably impossible to stream two cameras at once to show both your screen and the spear cinematic, but please just remove it during gameplay.]

@Rumba_Lumba. I actually like that idea! They could Diagonal cut they screen to show the cinematic while still allowing you to whip the person you were beating on or capture that point. I'm sure this is something the SSM team has been working on.

Message 47 of 52 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4062 posts

Jan 15, 2013

Hmm... maybe show a small square in the lower right corner of the screen- which shows the cinamatic? That'd be neat and efficient.

photo Sig_zps70d8d3f0.jpg
Message 48 of 52 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
300 posts

Jan 16, 2013

SoldierOfMetal wrote:

[it is probably impossible to stream two cameras at once to show both your screen and the spear cinematic, but please just remove it during gameplay.]

@Rumba_Lumba. I actually like that idea! They could Diagonal cut they screen to show the cinematic while still allowing you to whip the person you were beating on or capture that point. I'm sure this is something the SSM team has been working on.

definitely impossible. latency plus displaying two camera streams? this isn't video but a real-time network game. if they can do that, might as well do split-screen over-the-network (which is impossible given all the effects and framerate).

besides, that's asking to split the 1280x720 resolution into two screens mid-game, uninterrupted, given that this is a single-screen game? come on. not gonna happen. all the splitscreen online MP games start out their video displays on their native shrinked screen, so like two 640x720 screens on one tv monitor from start of the match 'til the end.  that's why you don't see someone jump in a game mid-match and it becomes split-screen once your friend presses start, you have to restart the match.

Message 49 of 52 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
300 posts

Jan 16, 2013

d1v4d wrote:

Hmm... maybe show a small square in the lower right corner of the screen- which shows the cinamatic? That'd be neat and efficient.

either a marker, emblem, or a flag on the spear landing point..or...

make the spear there but turn off surface collision (or make it transparent, or a "ghost" item) so people just pass through it, until the gods intervene. so most likely there's a timer attached to it.

Message 50 of 52 (91 Views)
0 Likes