Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 31 2011
By: dlord_1 Sucker Punch Community Leader 63 posts

Is it just me...

8 replies 599 views Edited Jul 31, 2011

that thinks the Deimos vs. Kratos fight was totally screwed up? I know that the devs were trying to show off Deimos' emmense power but making him beat up Kratos in a lousy fight just doesn't make sense. I am one of the huggest God of War fans in the world and it still puzzles me from a year ago when I beat the game and even to now, how they could let Kratos get beat up like that by someone who shouldn't be able to beat him up.

Kratos is the God of War. He was trained by the God of War Ares himself and has mastered his skills to such a degree that he beat persephone, the hydra, medusa, pandora's guardian, the basilisk, charon, THE GOD OF WAR ARES and so many more- not even counting the people he had to defeat in order to find Deimos.

vs.

Deimos. He is the brother of Kratos, who was never stronger than him even when they were kids. He was captured by Ares at a young age and has been tortured ever since then by the GOD OF DEATH. This means that he never had anywhere near as much training as Kratos and when Kratos fought him, if anything, Deimos' condition shouldn't have been anywhere near strong enough to handle Kratos' blows. Also, why would Thanatos chain him with a guantlet on his hands in the first place? The worst part is that the fight was so simple and if you're really good at god of war (like I am ) then it would be a great shock to you knowing that you dominated the whole battle and then Kratos gets knocked out by getting speared off a cliff by his tortured brother. Simply making Deimos win wouldn't make the fight or Deimos look epic; making the fight a real struggle would have. However, Kratos is still the main guy, so you can't sacrifice making him look like a weeny against someone who shouldn't have beaten him at all, even if you are trying to make that person seem really strong. I mean, Kratos took way more hits (not to mention harder ones) than that and I just don't think they gave justice to his character in that fight.

It's been a year and this fight still annoys me. What do you guys think?

PSN: Honour_In_Skills

Youtube Channel: Dlord1PlayStation

36-3 TDM with 72 Medals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvvpYACV6hQ
Message 1 of 9 (599 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2345 posts

Re: Is it just me...

Aug 3, 2011

I agree with you.  I loved the game because it was one of the best PSP games I've ever played and even after multiple playthroughs it's still fun to play.  However, the story is complete crap if you ask me.  I think they should have never even thought up Deimos because the whole thing makes Kratos seem way out of character.  He's a badass in every way until GoS.  The end kills me every time.  Hearing Kratos cry "Deimos!" in such a pitiful way over and over is so out of character for him.

YLOD 80gig PS3 1/30/09 - 7/30/11 RIP
Message 2 of 9 (599 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Aug 7, 2011

Yea the whole storyline was horrible. I expected kratos to save Deimos while you had to kill the god of death. And at the end where Athena suicides. What's the point in that!?

Message 3 of 9 (599 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5628 posts

Aug 13, 2011

freezeflame: >Athena suicides

What?

rlg: >anime style name shouts

>out of place in GoW

Quite right.

dlord: >good at the game

Is that so?

>Deimos being strong

Silly wasn't it?

>stronger than Kratos

Irritating.

>the fight

It was novel, but frankly...letting us grab rape a boss really does destroy the challenge (reference GoWIII Zeus with regards to air OS application versus the ground/air HC here).

~I never wanted this brother arc

Message 4 of 9 (599 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1288 posts

Sep 12, 2011

I fully agree with both of you guys. Great mechanics but story was weak at best.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 9 (599 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4583 posts

Sep 14, 2011

Wow guys, thanks for ruining the story

kidding. I agree with the above posts

18V Sig
Message 6 of 9 (599 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5628 posts

Oct 8, 2011

^All of them?

^^There were some other faults.  Doing the God PAIN+ again is a good reminder.  As was the NGR+ NUR+.

Message 7 of 9 (599 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

Feb 7, 2012

Well, hopefully I can make you feel a bit better about this fight.  It's qute simple to me, Kratos didn't fight back.  He let Deimos win.  The story did not make it obvious, but to me there were hints that Kratos did not want to really fight his brother and that he kind of related to the rage that Deimos was feeling at the moment.  Yes, it is silly that Deimos' power would even rival Kratos', and more silly that Thanatos would arm Deimos with a gauntlet when he's supposed to be a prisoner, but the fight itself seemed to me that Kratos was holding back.  When Deimons had Kratos pinned to the ground, Kratos did nothing before getting pummeled into the ground.  Even the trophy unlocked at that time right before Thanatos interferes was called "Let Him Win".  Besides, Kratos proved he was the greater warrior by saving Deimos and then beating Thanatos on his own.  And if Kratos was as angry fighting Deimos as he was when Thanatos killed his brother, Deimos wouldn't have had a prayer.

I actually really like Ghost of Sparta, despite the fact that I'm not crazy about the brother story either.  I'm not even a fan of seeing child Kratos, but the style and imagery was my favorite of the series in fact.  I thought the game had the perfect balance of puzzles, platforming, and action.  Most of the dialogue was good with memorable lines and moments from Kratos (Is this all a game to you Athena? The gods will pay for this), although some if it was brutally forced (I will not lose you again...Deimos!).  I liked seeing Kratos treat his fellow Spartans honorably, and loved seeing him return to Sparta, which I thought was just masterfully done well.  The boss fights were cool and the spear and shield were a very nice addition to the gameplay.  And although I did not like seeing Kratos' story as a child, I thought it was awesome when Kratos confronted his inner self and bashed his child self through the mirror.  Had it just been about a game about Kratos' quest to find the secrets from his mother that would have worked, but Deimos is a lame addition to the story and him being "the other one" just made him feel like the Princess Leia to Kratos' Luke Skywalker. 

Overall, I felt it was a nice bridge inbetween the two original games.  My biggest beefs with it though are that Deimos actually becomes a canon character, and that considering he is in his full god state, Kratos isn't any more powerful in this game than he is in the others.  They really missed some opportunities to have Kratos majestically come from the sky like Ares, destroy Atlantis as a giant, or use some insane powers that he should now have at his disposal.  I was disappointed there that he didn't even get too creative when killing Thanatos.  He just attacked him like he was still a regular mortal...except with fire blades. 

Message 8 of 9 (599 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5628 posts

Feb 8, 2012

>Deimos winning

Indeed Kratos held back.  Deimos was a glass cannon.

>full-god

No.  He was made a god after GoS.  He was a god in title only during GoS.

>fire blades

The fire was that of another immortal (a made-up Titan) if it helps.

>brother arc is lame

You bet.

Message 9 of 9 (599 Views)
0 Likes