Lombax Warrior
211 posts

Re: God of War 3 - Freezing Issues

Mar 26, 2010

Tostada_Grande wrote:

I have a possible workaround for the freezing issues.

God of War appears to be using a cache-to-HD process for the levels, and it appears to stream this in over time as the level is played. What I've discovered is that the game will freeze if the content has not finished streaming to HD prior to an autosave or other major event.

Here is what I've done and I played seven hours last night with no freezes.

On startup of God of War, and sitting on main screen, don't load or make other changes until the HD light stops (very light i/o if any). It's either doing cleanup or pre-caching content.

After a load of a game save:

As soon as you get character control, press start to bring up the weapons list:

Watch the PS3 HD light. It will likely be going wild. I suspect this is content caching from disc to HD, and it's this work coupled with the on-screen action and/or auto-save that appear to cause issues. It's a big problem such as when the game attempts an auto-save at the same time this is still occurring.

Just wait until the HD light stops, or is blinking slow or intermittently.  This can take minutes.

Under normal play, the HD light will blink intermittently, but it's a notable difference  from when the system is caching content.

Play game.

There are many places during the game where it's apparent content-caching is happening. Just pay attention to the HD light. If you see significant HD disk access, stop moving, press the start button, and wait for it to stop.

I tried that, it worked for about 5 minutes! I am at the SPOILER fight against Hades and I can't beat him, when he goes into the styx, if I die or not it freeze, it freeze when I make a move or if I die it totally freezes at the restart at last checkpoint!

Kimi Raikkonen sig
Message 61 of 431 (741 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 27, 2010

Thank you for the help.. That seemed to get me by the  hermes stage at the bridge collapsing so far.

when loading up the game at the title screen my hard drive was going crazy for a little while. once it stopped I load my save point, started go throug the level, and saw the hard drive light start to do a large read again. Stopped agian for a couple of moments at that point seemed to do the trick.

Some one should up date sony support with this information to avoid people having a stand one leg turn south and then try it trouble shooting.

Thanks agian...

Message 62 of 431 (741 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
240 posts

Mar 27, 2010

well now that patch has done a 1/2 fix for me now its just turns off the game before would freeze now just turns off

PS3 60GB

(The best version of the playstation 3 )

Message 63 of 431 (741 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
211 posts

Mar 27, 2010

Hmm so they did a patch only for the glitch thing, and nothing about the freezing issues?????? I am going to play it, I just downloaded it but I don't think it will arrange anything! That is very sad I am pretty pissed off now, I can't even beat Hades without having to reset my PS3!

EDIT:

It worked!!!! But I did it with the trick of waiting that the HDD light stop blinking! It didn't worked before but now it worked, I will try to play without waiting for the HDD stop freaking out.... I just need to upgrade the blades of hades and I will see if it stills freeze after I upgrade a weapon!

Kimi Raikkonen sig
Message 64 of 431 (741 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Mar 27, 2010

I only noticed this occurring after the patch, but I'm not sure if the patch is the cause of it or not - in the Path of Eos if I walk off a ledge with the Helios Head out, right before I land on the lower ledge the game freezes on me. I've got a slim 250GB.

Message 65 of 431 (741 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Mar 27, 2010

Tostada_Grande wrote:

I have a possible workaround for the freezing issues.

God of War appears to be using a cache-to-HD process for the levels, and it appears to stream this in over time as the level is played. What I've discovered is that the game will freeze if the content has not finished streaming to HD prior to an autosave or other major event.

Here is what I've done and I played seven hours last night with no freezes.

On startup of God of War, and sitting on main screen, don't load or make other changes until the HD light stops (very light i/o if any). It's either doing cleanup or pre-caching content.

After a load of a game save:

As soon as you get character control, press start to bring up the weapons list:

Watch the PS3 HD light. It will likely be going wild. I suspect this is content caching from disc to HD, and it's this work coupled with the on-screen action and/or auto-save that appear to cause issues. It's a big problem such as when the game attempts an auto-save at the same time this is still occurring.

Just wait until the HD light stops, or is blinking slow or intermittently.  This can take minutes.

Under normal play, the HD light will blink intermittently, but it's a notable difference  from when the system is caching content.

Play game.

There are many places during the game where it's apparent content-caching is happening. Just pay attention to the HD light. If you see significant HD disk access, stop moving, press the start button, and wait for it to stop.

I wanted to add that in addition to the above, going into options, audio, and turning off cinematics (slider to far left), also helped with stability. This is especially true on the final part of the water horse, where you open the gate, it hits you with the claw, then pulls you up for the final battle. With cinematics off, I suffer no more freezes on that section.
Same goes for Hades, at the point he's defeated and it goes into the cut scene. 

Message 66 of 431 (741 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
211 posts

Mar 27, 2010

Well with the cinematics off you can't really know the story.... And just got another saving freeze! When I go to save it does this maybe 1/3 of the time! This game seriously need a major patch to stop these freezes!

Kimi Raikkonen sig
Message 67 of 431 (741 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Mar 27, 2010

I have one of the old Playstation models and I never had any problems aside from a couple of minor glitches in the game

Message 68 of 431 (741 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Mar 27, 2010

antou wrote:

Well with the cinematics off you can't really know the story.... And just got another saving freeze! When I go to save it does this maybe 1/3 of the time! This game seriously need a major patch to stop these freezes!

True, but if it gets you past a freeze point, it does allow one to continue playing.

Message 69 of 431 (741 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
211 posts

Mar 27, 2010

Another freeze just like with Poseidon! When I am SPOIL killing Helios I don't hear him talk and Kratos neither, I think I will have to reformat my PS3 but nope I won't...And I tried to do restart at last checkpoint and it froze had to reset my PS3....

@Santa Monica team: Are you trying to figure out what makes to anoying freezes because every other PS3 game that I own work fine!

Kimi Raikkonen sig
Message 70 of 431 (741 Views)
0 Likes