Dec 11 2010
By: darkshadow433 Sackboy 559 posts

A suggestion to the community :)

7 replies 19 views Edited Dec 11, 2010

Greetings everyone

Ok firstly i would like to get something off of my chest before i offer up some nice time consuming fun suggestions for you leveling pleasure

The thing i have noticed most on this board since the release of this title is the incesant complaining about the level system and the term "grind" referring to this procedure. Let's start off by stating the term grind derives from a statement relating mostly to daily routines that are not what you want to be doing anr/or are tedious. Yess the leveling system in this title falls under that, however, grind is also a term used for describing "work". Understandably the levling can feel like work and that is to be expected. I am not sure most of you have ever played an RPG? If you have then this level system is probobly not a "grind" so to speak to you

IMO the Gran TUrismo series is not much about "rewards" and "prestige" as a lot of people complain about. "the reward for that race was lame.....", "All that work and for THAT?!"....etc..etc. Lets think of the GT series as the Poke'mon of car games. The real point of the GT series was to experiance all there is to offer in the world of motoring and motorsport. Not about being "rewarded". The feeling i get from PD's design and ideoology on the GT series the reward is the experiance of driving cars that you will never drive in real life, or to win races with your real life car in a virtual world (if your car is lucky enough to be in the game ). Rewards are nice and all, but really if you need to be patted on the back for a job well done every time you do something, the i have to sadly say your life will be a miserable one as this will never happen all the time. Time to deal with that reality.

Now i know people will argue "this is a game you need to be rewarded"..etc, but think of this, were you not enjoying yourself at the time? Did the drive put a smile on your face? Did you come up with alternitive lines, tuning ideas..etc whilst on the drive?..and many dozens of other questions. If you answered yes then that is truly the reward. The use of a part of your mind that is not being used on most other games..IE an EA or Codemaster racing title. Their games are w/o what this game has...SUBSTANCE. They are all flash and "look at me Look at me" design, but no true heart, soul and passion. Just another "notch" on their belt and lucritive capital gain. Nothing more.

Ok enough of that there are literally thousands of things that have urked me lately on what i have read but there is no need to gripe as it gets noone anywhere

Ok to the point at hand, if you are still reading this cool you at least understand my point.

The things i do to break the tedium of the leveling up portion of the game is invent little top gear style challenges for  myself. Ambitious and lofty goals that sound impossible.  IE: buying a mazda demio and modding it in a way to win the Expert Series Tuned Car Championship (yes it IS possible.......just really freaking hard lol)

Tonight i decided to do the GT World Champ with a fresh out of the showroom WedsSport Lexus IS350. Got an oil change of course...a smidge of extra power is acceptable It was a very difficult 5 races but i won the series by 25 pts. Guess what i also made cash and experiance. The races felt FASTER and SHORTER than usual.  The reason is the difficulty in the challenge. This can be done across the board. Setting yourself up for an almost impossible challenge can really make things seem to go faster and give you a real thrill and white knuckle experiance....even wit hthe lackluster (puitting it mildly) AI.

This approach i have been using sins Gran Turismo 1 debuted on the PS1 back in the late 90's. I still have that game with the console and once in a blue moon drag her out and drive. It is actually still a pretty decent game even after 12 years

The other thing you can try is to jsut experiment with cars you would NORMALLY never use. I have done this for a decade and in this process boradened my automotive horizons and fell in love with countless new cars. By the time you really finish doing that...booya level 40. This title have over 1000 vehicles...yes some are just different named versions of the same car but i can safely say hundreds are unique to one another. Even the cars that are just differing years, regions..etc do drive and feel different. You may like a european version of a car better than the US or japanese varient, or vice versa.

PD took a lot of time in research and effort to make this title. To hear people whine, moand and groan about simple little things is downright disrespectful. Yes the title needs more polish, people do say it feels rushed...but really that is OUR fault. We as a community whined and complained for years for them to "get off their asses and release" and they did. 5-7yrs on a title as detailed and in depth as this one really if you understood game design and programming is NOT that long. This series is the most ambitious series of ANY genre. And jsut to have them is a blessing. I am not hand holding sloppiness or laziness by sny stretch. I am disappointed on a few aspects myself but they are easily overlooked when thinking of the grander scheme of things.

To be honest all i feel the game needs to be complete for me is an event editor. A simple GUI selsection to allow us to great championships, endurance races..etc and race them and share em. This would be realitively simple to incorporate via an update patch. The Game can decide the EXP and Monatary amounts whilst we concentrate on track selection, conditions, regulations and car eligibility. This would eliminate the "grind" 100% as you can create any series for any skill class from beginner to extreme (this would dertimine money and EXP) and it would be fresh every time.

But in conclusion, this is just a game, if you do not enjoy the reality of having to work hard for what you want then i would recommend an EA or Codemaster racing title as they are instant gratification and can be completed in less than a week. This series is about longevity..months even years to complete and master 100%. If this is not to your liking then it is time to move on or evolve. Either way the choice is yours, but complaining and asking for the "quick way out" is not what the developer intended. In life a race driver does not go from go karting to F1 in a month...it takes a LONG ass time, same methodology applies here. Earn your place or quit.

Final note, i theorize that PD made the X-1 proto extremely hard to acquire so that noobs will not get the vehicle and go online and jsut use it exclusively. They in my assumption want the community to have good drivers who could care less about some hyperspace car and jsut drive to drive...not to go around daytona at 300+ miles an hour in some make believe car whilst the real drivers are driving legitimate cars in legitimate races. If you got to lvl30 you should have by then acquired enough skill to not really care about such things and be able to drive online with anything. I am not saying the X1 is sweet it is friggin awesome lookin (i heard about a black one...i want that insted of th hideous redbull livery) but it is not the end all for me. But thats just my opinion.

Thank you for your time and attention. Hopefully the ideas about creating little challenges and trying out prevously unthought of vehicles aids you in the breaking of the tedium.

Regards

darkshadow433
Message 1 of 8 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
94 posts

Re: A suggestion to the community :)

Dec 11, 2010

now my head hurts

Message 2 of 8 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
109 posts

Dec 11, 2010
Thatsnot a suggestion, it look more like plans to build a rocket, and I ain't readn it...I am now 10 mins richer in my day
Message 3 of 8 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
888 posts

Dec 11, 2010

darkshadow433 wrote:

To be honest all i feel the game needs to be complete for me is an event editor. A simple GUI selsection to allow us to great championships, endurance races..etc and race them and share em. This would be realitively simple to incorporate via an update patch. The Game can decide the EXP and Monatary amounts whilst we concentrate on track selection, conditions, regulations and car eligibility. This would eliminate the "grind" 100% as you can create any series for any skill class from beginner to extreme (this would dertimine money and EXP) and it would be fresh every time.

That is a great idea.. 

Message 4 of 8 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
77 posts

Dec 12, 2010

Good post

Message 5 of 8 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1924 posts

Dec 12, 2010

darkshadow433 wrote:

they have that. It's called ONLINE racing, except unlike GT5P, there is no money won.....yet.

My garage

http://www.mygranturismo.net/1724

Drafting? Draft this!

Message 6 of 8 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
7781 posts

Dec 12, 2010

Great post - A refreshing view.

Another suggestion:  Instead of "grinding" through the races with your best cars... use something that challenges your skills.  Don't use the same modified car every time.  Use something stock, get familiar with gear ratios, use the "grinding" time to experience with different types of car modifications so that it feels more like you're racing, rather than grinding.  Sure, you may not win 1st every time, and you may not be able to complete the laps 10 seconds quicker, but at least you'll become more versatile by learning the ins and outs of different cars and modifications.

Message 7 of 8 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1924 posts

Dec 12, 2010

so you wouldn't consider the "Vitz/Yaris" race in B-spec a GRIND?

if that race is FUN for you, you guys need to get out more.

sitting there through 6 excrutiating, slow, sloppy laps is worse than a GRIND...it's like watching a blind bird fly around in a room full of small bells.

Then, 18 minutes later, your B-spec guy, as calm, cool, and "in the middle of the guage" decides he wants to drive in to a wall and come in 12th.

Yea...that's not a GRIND.

But I respectfully agree...it is a refreshing post to read, no doubt. And I applaud the time and effort put in to the writing.

No dis-respect meant, just a disagreement in some cases.

My garage

http://www.mygranturismo.net/1724

Drafting? Draft this!

Message 8 of 8 (19 Views)
0 Likes