Gaming Beast
2087 posts

Re: Didn't know you could be "Too Fast"

Feb 8, 2013

MastrGT wrote:

With enough Academy drivers, eventually NISSAN will be able to make their own series beyond the Academy itself.

That would be awesome. Maybe they should start taking the top 5 drivers of each GT Academy and start a series called "insert cool name here cause I don't have an imagination". That would be really cool. 

photo 3da2a2f2-f5ac-48ee-92a6-ef916fe7b8b4.jpg
Message 21 of 36 (230 Views)
VP of Gaming
29193 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 8, 2013

In the old days you'd say that "they brought in a ringer". It skews the field for the others. It's more of a matter of fairness to the other amateur drivers, and not this idea of preservation for the so-called elite.

I think they may have found a legit talent, rare as it may seem. This also may very well be a fluke. I doubt that next year's talent will be the same level. But you never know.

Message 22 of 36 (228 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4748 posts

Feb 8, 2013

Sorry, the ICNHCIDHAI series?  No, that just doesn't roll off the tongue that well.Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 36 (224 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29193 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 8, 2013

tguns16 wrote:

MastrGT wrote:

With enough Academy drivers, eventually NISSAN will be able to make their own series beyond the Academy itself.

That would be awesome. Maybe they should start taking the top 5 drivers of each GT Academy and start a series called "insert cool name here cause I don't have an imagination". That would be really cool. 

I think that would be the next logical step. You have qualifying from different regions, and then the winners compete in a race weekend at a designated site.

What else would you call it? The GT Academy Amateur Racing Series.

Message 24 of 36 (223 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3264 posts

Feb 8, 2013

oops, somehow I missed seeing this thread before I linked to the gtplanet article on the topic.  sorry bout that! 

Message 25 of 36 (220 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3264 posts

Feb 8, 2013

Destinkeys wrote:

Seems unfair that British GT can't simply ballast and HP restrict the GT Academy drivers into parity... That's the GT5 way, after all!

BTW, a bit OT, but do you guys ever run online series where the top performers are given PP or ballast restrictions, to make the field a little tighter? It seems IRL, in quite a few series, if a certain car/driver combination starts to utterly dominate, ballast is added. Has anyone taken this approach to stop online races from being the same few on top all the time?

We did try that one week in the Monday races a while back.  it was kinda fun hearing people talk about how it was affecting thier cars performance the heavier they got.

Message 26 of 36 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
835 posts

Feb 8, 2013

Tease3211 wrote:

Destinkeys wrote:

Seems unfair that British GT can't simply ballast and HP restrict the GT Academy drivers into parity... That's the GT5 way, after all!

BTW, a bit OT, but do you guys ever run online series where the top performers are given PP or ballast restrictions, to make the field a little tighter? It seems IRL, in quite a few series, if a certain car/driver combination starts to utterly dominate, ballast is added. Has anyone taken this approach to stop online races from being the same few on top all the time?

We did try that one week in the Monday races a while back.  it was kinda fun hearing people talk about how it was affecting thier cars performance the heavier they got.

You're right about that Tease, it was a fun night, seeing how the starting order was mixed up, and giving everyone a shot at running up front.

Sig by: exXboxFan.
Message 27 of 36 (213 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44908 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 8, 2013

The British GT Championship web site and FaceBook pages don't seem to mention this at all, certainly not in "News". The FB page doesn't list anything about the NISSAN team after September 27th, as far as I saw, so the prostest about them being too good was kept quiet.

[edit] Hey, I have an idea to slow the pace down a bit. Put me in the Amateur seat. Smiley Very Happy

Message 28 of 36 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8245 posts

Feb 8, 2013

Gar529 wrote:

clacksman wrote:

Here's what the British GT championship has for driver pairing rules on their website:

Licence requirement & driver grades
All drivers must hold a racing licence of at least International C grade.

Drivers are categorized into groups A, B, C or D according to their experience and successes. Grade A drivers may partner only with drivers from categories D or C (A+C will carry 40Kg). Grade B drivers may partner only with drivers from categories D or C (B+C will carry 25Kg). All other pairing combinations are permitted.

So it's clearly meant to be one pro and one amateur driver sharing a car.  Driver grading similar to this is common in GT racing (including other SRO-organized series and the 24 hours of Le Mans).  Looks to me like Nissan tried to enter a fully professional (although inexperienced) pair and got correctly rejected.  I'm sure all the naysayers coming out of the woodwork were avid viewers of British GT.

But because of how their driver ranking system works, the GT Academy guys would actually be at the lowest ranked driver level, as Jann was last year. Once they saw how fast Jann was, they changed his ranking, which also meant the team recieved a time penalty after every race. From the looks of it, Nissan was going to enter the Academy guys with two on each team, making an all amateur lineup in a Pro-Am field, but because of Jann's speed, the organizers pretty much said, "Yes you are amateurs, but you guys are so fast, it's not fair to the other amateurs in the field, therefore we won't let you in."

Most amateurs don't arrive in the series having just been selected by a manufacturer via a long and complicated international process designed specifically to find the fastest potential racers who weren't already racing.

Message 29 of 36 (182 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1044 posts

Feb 8, 2013

But many of them have years of experience racing at a professional level, they just never had the results necessary to be deemed a "pro". Whether you're a slow amateur or a fast amateur, it shouldn't make any difference. Maybe those rich guys should try playing Gran Turismo themselves instead of complaining that they're getting their butt kicks by kids that have never even driven a race car before, let alone raced one Smiley Very Happy

Message 30 of 36 (177 Views)
0 Likes