Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Re: Driving Force GT pedal problem

Jan 22, 2013

thanks Marshall for the description.

dk, mine was beyond the point of being helped by careful calibration.  though, that trick did work for a time.  new pedals didn't need anything special to get them working 100%... only question is for how long????

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 51 of 82 (438 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
218 posts

Jan 22, 2013

I believe it's the same as what I know as Fun-tak?

https://www.google.com/search?q=fun+tak

http://www.mygranturismo.net/26145
Message 52 of 82 (433 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Jan 23, 2013

I think there are a few things I would do now I know better about helping my pedals' longevity...

First thing would be to bag them every time after use! I have to confess, other than the odd run over with a vacuum cleaner, for about the first three years or so, I just left them out. Knowing more about pot wear and dirt, I wish I had done what I do now - I have a plastic bag I slip over them with a drawstring (small garbage bag) to keep out the dust in between use.

Then, I might have tried the squeegeeball trick, to perhaps cushion the pedal a bit as I slammed my brakes on and off. Not sure if this would make a difference, but worth a try!

But I will try the caulking compound trick if or when my brakes get so bad that even careful calibration no longer works. Here's hoping you try these preventative things on your new pedals, and you have a much longer trouble-free use out of yours!

Message 53 of 82 (415 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2341 posts

Jan 25, 2013
I'd recommend to all players that own a DFGT (or most other affordable wheel systems), that to preserve the good working function of your pedals, drive in socks, rather than in shoes.

And don't act like a child when driving either. Had a friend over a few weeks back and let him play my console... I thought he was going to tear the thing into little pieces, the way he was slamming the wheel back and forth, and stomp-mashing the pedals.... Never realized that a grown up, adult of 40+ years would act like such an infant. Needless to say, he will not be using my console again.
- There's a distinct difference between slow & deliberate and deliberately slow -
Message 54 of 82 (391 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
285 posts

Jan 25, 2013

Thanks for the preventative maintenance tip Anjen. I have the perfect cover for My DFGT pedal assembly and will put it into use. 

I also wanted to add this. I had some issues with what seemed like a sticking throttle, even though the pedal spring pivot action worked just fine. I was about to Unbox My New Wheel but I decided to use My compressor and some high psi to possibly blow out some dust or whatever might be causing the problem. It worked, now I shoot some compressed air into it once a week or so. It has continued to work well. 

Message 55 of 82 (387 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Jan 25, 2013

re: socks... well then you get lint in there Smiley Very Happy

kidding aside that's probably a good suggestion and compressed air  is always a good idea for electronics

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 56 of 82 (370 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2341 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 25, 2013

Fine, then silk slippers, m'kay? Smiley Wink

but on a more serious note... one other thing that I would say wrt driving in socks... since the dfgt and similar wheel units have foot peddle feedback that doesn't have as much pressure as that in a real car, the lack of shoes means one gets a better "feel" for the peddles. At least that's my experience. ymmv.

- There's a distinct difference between slow & deliberate and deliberately slow -
Message 57 of 82 (362 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1090 posts

Jan 25, 2013
I'll back up anjen's statement in regards wearing socks for sensitivity using the DFGT. I too wear a good padded or thick sock for feel since the springs in the peddles are not as strong as say the G27's peddles. To me wearing a shoe is like driving with a numb foot :-)! I sometimes wear these thin foot form slippers on occasion.
" A defeat is good for the character if you take it the right way."

Who said it?
Message 58 of 82 (357 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3840 posts

Jan 25, 2013
I drive naked. Well barefoot anyway. Smiley Tongue
Message 59 of 82 (345 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4921 posts