Fender Bender
4305 posts

Re: GRAN TURISMO 5 PROLOGUE-IS IT WORTH IT???

Jul 9, 2010

Don't feed the TROLL

Message 51 of 69 (35 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
14645 posts

Jul 9, 2010
Let's all just agree to disagree and try and steer (hah! geddit?!) this thread back into friendly waters.
Aeris lives!
Message 52 of 69 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
670 posts

Jul 9, 2010

eciracing wrote:

My point is this.....the original poster has only 5 post's on here.  Therefore, he doesn't frequent these boards that often.  So, he's not going to be involved with the methods you guys use for voice chat, or organizing races.  So, he will be VERY dissappointed with the online portion of this game.  As for the offline value......if he's used to past GT games, he will be let down again.  Bottom line.

I've been on these forums since late 2008 and i didn't start posting until a few months ago. However, i have been reading all around the this particular forum since early this year (and not always logged in). Don't just make assumptions based on post count. On top of that, i just got my PS3 and GT5: P less then two weeks ago and i'm already getting involved with these organized races. It really tops anything else we have. The people around here are great and there are some fantastic people to race with. And now for my opinion on the game.
With a little less than 4 months before the release of GT5, i think GT5: P is still a good buy. Some people are saying that it's a demo, well to some extent yes (it's a prologue), but a demo of a large game can be a large demo. I believe there are 73 cars with 6 tracks and 10 variations, correct me if i'm wrong, and that's quite a bit to work with. Hell, i can spend hours racing on Suzuka, that's a fantastic track! And the number of cars really doesn't limit you to having a good time. Although 73 cars for a GT game does seem small, that definitely does not restrict you from having fun. Although there aren't that many tracks, i think PD picked a few good tracks that makes the game very enjoyable. When i'm bored, i'll just go into the arcade mode with a F1 car, set the laps to unlimited, and just drive.
Now for the online play. At first it's pretty lacking. The Beginning and intermediate races often have players that just race to win and bump all the time. But the expert events are a lot better. I've met randoms that would slow down to have a good race, for causing me to go of course, etc... And this is what a lot of the people are like on these boards. Race clean and race for fun. Plus getting involved with some of the racing organizations is quite easy. Right now i'm following the guys in the TPRA and they are a great bunch of guys. I hang out in teamspeak with them almost every day and usually later in the day when everyone is off work, there are practices set up for events that you can partake in. Sure on a normal basis with GT5: P online you may only get a group of 4 random drivers and yourself, but you can easily meet some of the people around here and get a good 10+ person race going with good clean drivers. There are other limitations though. You can't quite pick any track and class you want, or create private rooms to always race with who you want, but it's still fun.
So to the OP, there is still quite a bit of time left before GT5 releases and i think GT5: P is a worthy buy. You can probably find it for $20 somewhere which is a good price for a game like this. However, if you think F3 can hold you over, you can stick with that and save your money. It's still a good game, but i won't talk about it because of the forum's rules relating to that.
Message 53 of 69 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1979 posts

Jul 9, 2010

FatLeadFoot wrote:

Don't feed the TROLL

Yeah, I'm a troll.  My opinion differs from yours, and that makes me a troll.  Grow up sally.

EXOTICS SEASON 1 CHAMPION, FF SEASON 1 CHAMPION, SUPER GT SEASON 1 CHAMPION, S2000 CHALLENGE SERIES CO-CHAMPION, LE MANS 2012-S CHAMPION, JUAREZ SPORTS CAR CHALLENGE CHAMPION, SUPER GT SEASON 2 CHAMPION, FF SEASON 3 CHAMPION, TNR SEASON 1 CHAMPION
Message 54 of 69 (35 Views)
Monster Hunter
46 posts

Jul 9, 2010

eciracing wrote:

Sorry for the length of this post, but what a way to keep people from expressing their opinions or thoughts on here.  Lots of people probably just keep quiet, for fear of being ridiculed by this wonderful "community".

Holy crap!

I thought you were kidding until I read the replies!

A bunch of people need to lay off the caffeine!

Message 55 of 69 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
675 posts

Jul 9, 2010

Not sure why I don't own GT5P, but I just bought it because of some of the great opinions and possibly reviews by some of those who have posted previously.  I've played GT5P, but always just forgot about it.  Guess I just kinda overlooked it in my waiting for the real thing. 

I'll be playing this as much as I can until November rolls around and I can open up my pre-order of the Collector's Edition which I am eager to get my hands on! 

Looks to be a great bunch of people playing GT5P, hopefully I'll see some of you online!  Thanks!

Message 56 of 69 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
682 posts

Jul 9, 2010
To the original poster I got through about 2 1/2 pages of this and had a simple thought that made me skip to this. Sorry if someone has already stated it this way and I am being redundant. Amazon has GT5p listed new for $28 and used for $14 so the question is could I get about $25 worth of fun with this game and the online racing over the next four months. For me personally knowing the hours of quality racing that goes on around here it's a no brainer. A few times in the past two weeks I have gotten to run for more than five hours in a sitting. If that was all I had played this ever that would only be two bucks an hour cheap entertainment these days. Edited went through and read whole thread the workarounds are very simple such as organizing start times. Using the xmb text chat within the game makes team speak or ventrillo a luxury not a necessity. Is the game perfect hardly but $28 isn't what I would expect to pay for a perfect game either.
Message 57 of 69 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
110 posts

Jul 9, 2010

Well after playing Forza 3( with currently 466 cars in garage and distance driven with some help of a hired driver of 79,973 miles.) I have played most PC simulations, then recently buying a PS3 and GT5 Prologue. I would say with my 3-4 year old G25 wheel. If you want to play a game that looks closer to real life GT5 Prologue is your game better than Forza 3, so what GT5P doesn't have damage it feels really good. This GT5P is not as bad as haters are writing. What hurts Forza 3 is the xbox wheels no wheel in the $150 range with 900 deg. only $400 for a decent Porsche wheel and will continue to hurt them because I probably am going to be done with the series. Forza 3 not all of the gauges work, the lighting sucks to me(it is like they had to hide some of the game with bad lighting.) Both games Forza 3 and GT5 P equally have weak points and good points, even GT5 will probably have many, but it will be the best sim ever when it is released for sometime across all PC and consoles. I think it is a must buy for GT5 Prologue and have more fun than Forza 3, you will like the replays alot better.

Message 58 of 69 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
242 posts

Jul 9, 2010

Since Polyphony announced that players are able to exchange data between GT5P/GTPSP and GT5, that means you'll want to start building a garage today - and you won't have to worry too much about it later.  I only got a handful.

Do I look like someone who really cares what God thinks?!
Sorry, I do not offer any one-on-one troubleshooting or support via PM or e-mail.
----------------------
PS3 Slim 120GB
20" Acer X203H LCD @ 720p
Creative MF0320, 2ch
Message 59 of 69 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Jul 9, 2010

Is that true that some things will carry over to GT5?

Last night I ordered it for around $18 (Amazon Used), which is a plenty good deal for me.  I just couldn't justify $25+.

Message 60 of 69 (35 Views)
0 Likes