Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Keyblade Wielder
9428 posts

Re: Gt5 modification ban Notice

[ Edited ]
Apr 7, 2013

Maybe people shouldn't F*** with the game, period.  Enjoy it for what it is. It really doeasn't matter what IS or IS NOT in the game codes.  If it is not readily accessible, then just LEAVE IT ALONE.  The minute you break into the "forbidden areas" of the game, the  disc, or the code, you have voided the warranty and licsensing agreement between you and Sony/PD.  The repercussions should be swift and strong.  All Sony/PD is saying is, don't eff with our game.  And that is how it should be. It's really as plain and as simple as that, IMO.

Cordially,

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 62 (429 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2649 posts

Apr 7, 2013
I still think my solution is best. :smileytongue:

But then I would... lol
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 62 (428 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3271 posts

Apr 7, 2013

GT_ALLSTAR_47 wrote:

..........  Enjoy it for what it is......... .

That's crazy talk, dude.

Oh wait, that's just what my friends and I have been doing for the past few years, with no shortage of fun.

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 62 (406 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Apr 8, 2013

I find it crazy the number of apologists for hacking the game, making excuses like 'just enjoy it for what it is', ''how am I doing any harm' yada yada yada...

Sure, stay offline, stay out of anyone's room, keep the hacks to yourself, knock yourself out. But changing the core fairness of the game affects everyone you race.

Imagine a chess game that someone hacked so that his pieces were ALL queens, turning round and saying 'What? C'mon, it's just a game!'. Trouble is, it is no longer CHESS.

Hacking GT5 to give yourself an advantage, no matter huge or small, you are no longer playing GT5. Don't be surprised when people that want to play GT5 no longer want to play with you!

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 62 (357 Views)
I Only Post Everything
832 posts

Apr 8, 2013

Well stated, Destin!

BANG

photo BANGNOLUFSENSigPic4_zpsa53ba0de.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 62 (331 Views)
0 Likes
Record Breaker
8352 posts

Apr 8, 2013

Destinkeys wrote:

I find it crazy the number of apologists for hacking the game, making excuses like 'just enjoy it for what it is', ''how am I doing any harm' yada yada yada...

for the record, I"m on your side of this particular argument, but I hope you go up a few posts and re-read what GT-Allstar said.  He said "just enjoy it for what it is" and was admonishing the crackers, not making excuses for them...

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna (FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only)
GT Saturdays Event Thread
Ex's Racing VideosSupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 62 (303 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
785 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2013

Just to balance the one sided seesaw a little bit.

Most people here are branding every single hybrider as a cheat. That would be the same as branding every GT5 player a troll because of the few kids who like to drive backwards, or ram people in clean rooms. There are a lot of players that like to smoke marijuana while they play GT5, but I wouldn't label them all crime lords, even though what they are doing is technically illegal.

The majority of people on other forums do not hybrid to cheat or gain an advantage, they do it because they are car lovers. They are not creating 100,000HP cars that everyone keeps assuming. They do what could/should be possible with GT5, such as a simple wing removely or lower stance, and do not use those cars online, or in time trials. In my opinion, although yes that may be against the rules, let those people enjoy the whole new game that they now have.

The people that do cheat with hybrids are the same idiots that bring X2010's and tank cars into other rooms to troll. They definitely should be banned, in fact, I think the idiots who disturb rooms on purpose without any hybrids should be banned too, but there's not much that PD can do to track these people, other than see how many reports they've incured.

And about the "Enjoy it for what it is, if it's not readily available, leave it alone". I think if the code is already there and fully operational, then that leads me to believe that they had planned to include these options. Why else would it be there? To me, it would be a bit like having a theme park that's cut in half by a rope, with most of the best rides being on the restricted side. The rides are all there and working, would not cost you any more on your entrance fee by opening the restricted area, and they are the most fun and diverse rides of the park's selection, but we won't let you go on them. Then you'll have the supporters who turn around to those that are questioning the manager's methods, and demand they just enjoy the small, limited selection of small rides they gave you.

Probably a really bad example to use to be honest. I see both sides of the argument. Any form of code tinkering is against the rules, but if someone is not gaining an advantage and keeping the hybrids strictly offline, then I see no reason to get the witch hunt on them.

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 62 (288 Views)
Record Breaker
8352 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2013

no, I think we understood it just fine w/o that long explanation with bad analogies...

not everyone is "cheating" in the normal sense of the word... we get it.

but all users and perpetrators of the cracked car data are violating rules, and therefore in another sense of the word, are "cheating" by cutting the corner of using the game in a lawful manner.

the debate here should be about whether PD should open up more hybrid options, rather than saying in some cases it's okay to crack this game and in others it's not.

if they allow manipulation of the game's data in some cases, it opens up the flood gates.

here's a VALID analogy.  Hybriding cars in this illegal manner is akin to going to the Hoover Dam and chizzling a very tiny hole into it.   The initial spill is very small and doesn't hurt anyone.  Then the water pressure keeps widening the hole, more and more and more, until the Dam is broken completely.

so while innocently (by comparison) hybriding cars to have more enjoyment out of the game seems okay, the consequences of it are not.  we should have more foresight than to irresponsibly do as we please.  think of the standard and precident that is set by your own behavior, and try to thijnk about how others who don't behave very well might abuse what you have discovered.

At this point I think it would be great if PD opened up more tuning options to do this sort of Modding (not the illegit stuff, but some hybriding) in the game's approved features.

But the legal department obviously has their reasoning to keep the code hidden.  It could have a lot to do with car licensing...  they may have wanted to enable those features, but legal said it would jeopardize many licenses and they backed off...

Trust me, people see your point of view.  Continuing to explain that one type of cracking game files is okay while another is not is like saying that you can steal things of small monetary value but nothing over a certain figure.  It just gets people used to stealing and that is wrong.  Knowing that some are more ambitious than others, the EXTREME violations will occur eventually.

Maybe PD would be willing to let us have those hidden options but then keep all affected cars in Private Lounges?  That sort of seems fair to me, but in the end it is their decision, not mine.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna (FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only)
GT Saturdays Event Thread
Ex's Racing VideosSupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 62 (275 Views)
I Only Post Everything
785 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2013

I understand about the licenses that would be involved with engine swapping cars and parts, and it's difficulty in getting permission from every manufacturer (although other games have aquired them), but the other hidden features such as the Event Creator, AI selection, High Quality Replay mode, alternative spectator views etc seem to have little reason to be under lock and key, same goes for the Engine, Turbo and Weight Reduction Stages 4 and 5 amongst the other parts, many of which were in previous GT games.

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 62 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2294 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2013

Lewis_Hamilton_ wrote:

Just to balance the one sided seesaw a little bit.

Most people here are branding every single hybrider as a cheat. That would be the same as branding every GT5 player a troll because of the few kids who like to drive backwards, or ram people in clean rooms. There are a lot of players that like to smoke marijuana while they play GT5, but I wouldn't label them all crime lords, even though what they are doing is technically illegal.

The majority of people on other forums do not hybrid to cheat or gain an advantage, they do it because they are car lovers. They are not creating 100,000HP cars that everyone keeps assuming. They do what could/should be possible with GT5, such as a simple wing removely or lower stance, and do not use those cars online, or in time trials. In my opinion, although yes that may be against the rules, let those people enjoy the whole new game that they now have.

The people that do cheat with hybrids are the same idiots that bring X2010's and tank cars into other rooms to troll. They definitely should be banned, in fact, I think the idiots who disturb rooms on purpose without any hybrids should be banned too, but there's not much that PD can do to track these people, other than see how many reports they've incured.

And about the "Enjoy it for what it is, if it's not readily available, leave it alone". I think if the code is already there and fully operational, then that leads me to believe that they had planned to include these options. Why else would it be there? To me, it would be a bit like having a theme park that's cut in half by a rope, with most of the best rides being on the restricted side. The rides are all there and working, would not cost you any more on your entrance fee by opening the restricted area, and they are the most fun and diverse rides of the park's selection, but we won't let you go on them. Then you'll have the supporters who turn around to those that are questioning the manager's methods, and demand they just enjoy the small, limited selection of small rides they gave you.

Probably a really bad example to use to be honest. I see both sides of the argument. Any form of code tinkering is against the rules, but if someone is not gaining an advantage and keeping the hybrids strictly offline, then I see no reason to get the witch hunt on them.

1) smoking pot does not affect the game play of others, just as drinking doesn't affect other players, just as taking prescription medications for pain, or mental or physical health doesn't affect other players. Your argument is specious (and typical)

2) What you do in the privacy of your own bedrooom is something that no one else can really monitor, save those idiots who decide they want to webcam post their personal activities. In the same way, if you illegally modify game code or data and do so within your own sphere of influence, ie locally without accessing the public channels (open lobby, loungue etc) then there's little anyone can do to prevent your actions. But when you go online, don't fool yourself into thinking that your actions aren't observable, should Sony/PD decide to do so. 

3) the EULA quite clearly spells out what you can and can't legally do with Polyphony's software, for which you paid a few dollarsto obtain a usage licence and installation disk. Usage does not mean the right to alter code or data using third party tools. It was not a developer's license, which alots expanded benefit for those applications and products that offer a developer's license.

You can call it witch-hunting if you like. That's pretty much the standard method of cooption that you psuedo-libs like to employ when it benefits your cultural tendency towards plunder and misappropriation.  As a professional who creates new content for a living, I see it as a way to combat miscreants and parasites from within your ranks.

- There's a distinct difference between slow & deliberate and deliberately slow -
Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 62 (259 Views)
0 Likes