I Only Post Everything
1044 posts

Re: Hacked cars in GT5

[ Edited ]
Apr 7, 2013

Lewis_Hamilton_ wrote:

brianblaze420 wrote:

Truth is that it is illegal to modify a game you own. Truth is that is an oxymoron.

I'm not so sure about that part. I was always under the impression that once you bought something, it's yours and you can do whatever you like with it, including making changes, whatever the product, but you are not allowed to make profit from the changes that you perform.

Not usually with software. That's why there is an EULA, the company that publishes the software owns 100% of it and you are paying to use it within their terms.  This applies to GT5 (the online portion at least). 

From the GT5 EULA found in the options menu:

2. GRANT OF LICENSE. SCEA grants you a non-exclusive right to use this software for personal, non-commercial play on a  PlayStation computer entertainment system only. You may not (i) rent, lease or sublicense the software, (ii) modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software, (iii) attempt to create the source code from the object code for the software, or (iv) download game content for any purpose other than game play. You have no proprietary rights in any game content including game play statistics. SCEA may modify such content any time for any reason. This software may include time and use restrictions For time and use restrictions regarding this software visit www.us.playstation.com/support/useragreement

Edit: Tree'd by Edhellonde

Message 381 of 713 (455 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1980 posts

Apr 7, 2013
Pretty conclusive. Shame that those looking for an excuse will usually find some......XD
Message 382 of 713 (441 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

Apr 7, 2013

YAY! Mad EULA references!

Message 383 of 713 (440 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2967 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 7, 2013

Lewis_Hamilton_ wrote:

Ah, and remember that event creator back from the much older GT games? What a great feature hey? Eeyup, it's been on the GT5 disc all along, and PD blocked it out. If anything, all of these hybrids give me a high level of frustration and disappointment towards PD; felt like we've all been shortchanged somewhat. Our game could have been so much bigger and expansive, and all it takes is the flick of a couple of switches.

Changing sava-data parameters to modify car specs is a very different thing than 'hidden event creators'.

As to your, and seemingly many others dissapointment, I ask, really?

This is sounding a lot like a kids birthday party and someone found a code on the icing to locate all the hidden goodies inside the cake, and all the other kids are crying cause "he got a toy and I didnt!"

What all the 'Debbie Downers' truly fail to realize is the complexity of creating something like GT5.

No one here was present when PD staff were discussing what features to build, or impliment, noone here was privvy to any of the reasons why any particular thing was included or excluded.

There are hundreds of factors that come into play that most will never be aware of.

Any and everyone complaining and suggesting PD should do this, or that, is basing thier wishes on just that, thier wishes, with no grasp whatsoever on what is actually involved or would be required on the developmental side.

Heck just by paying close attention when an opportunity to find out 2nd hand what PD does to model a car, made it abundantly clear why GT is the premier driving sim on ANY console, the devil is in the details, and PD spends more time and effort on the little stuff than anyone.

To be so critical of something you understand so little makes no sense, any conclusion made is flawed as it is made with very limited information and understanding. Really no different than strolling into the MIT math department, finding the biggest blackboard with the most equations and telling the Professor they are all wrong, yet you have no understanding of what they actually mean.

There used to be a time when people would reserve thier opinions because they had little or no information to base a reasonable conclusion on, I guess times have changed for some.

The only real truth in all of this, PD has consistently produced the very best console based driving sim release after release, period.

So if the very best is not good enough at least there are plenty of choices in the "wants to be GT" category of titles.

Stick to what you know, otherwise your all just guessing.

Message 384 of 713 (436 Views)
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
4654 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 7, 2013

OzDaddy62 wrote:

brianblaze420 wrote:
Well from what we hear from PD that's the solution at least for now. Maybe they will look for a more solid solution meanwhile postponing GT6 lol.

Truth is that it is illegal to modify a game you own. Truth is that is an oxymoron.

I do love this topic and hope that one day there will be a real solution. And not a super long wait for GT6.

PD owns the game and we all own a disc with a license to use the software that is on it.  All licenses come with conditions of use.

My friends and I decided that seeing we own the disc, we were going to do what we like with it, so we started "hacking" the disc.  So far we've:
Used it for drink coasters.

Made big dangly earrings.

Turned it into a frisbee (does need some added aero)

Took it the next step and played frisbee golf.

Used it as a ninja weapon (which also meant using it to reflect the sun to signal the ambulance as to where we were)

Attached it to a weather balloon to set the record for biggest air in GT5.

Made little tiny bike frames, attached two discs and turned Daytona into a velodrome.

Got a big enough group together to make a solar power array (got the pit garage lights running on that).

And in our biggest project yet, we are attaching several together in a dish, so that we can see if there is GT5 on Mars.

They can't stop us, we have only just begun!

Message 385 of 713 (413 Views)
First Son
19 posts

Apr 7, 2013

bottom line here is simply put the trust in any player is gone now. If anyone loses a race it will be easy to say " oh thats a hacked car" etc .... the only way to ensure fair racing is to use cars from recommended and the host pick the cars that can be used.

you cant tell if a car has been hacked just by chrome paints as i traded loads of chrome paints with players and i have about 20-25 cars in chrome and their not hacked.. 

We asked PD for their help.even those who have hacked cars but use them offline asked for the help and PD delivered with a solution.

we have a place to report too so we cant say they didnt offer help.  They cant monitor every room so i say cut them some slack and just report offenders as we see them and be patient.

I was in a room today and a mere threat is enough to scare them now. I told the player who entered my room with a hacked car i have recording capibilities and he had 3 seconds to get out before i submitted the evidence to PD.  He never even said goodbye so the message does seem to be working and the message is starting to act as a deterrant. it will just take a while.

Message 386 of 713 (386 Views)
Splicer
64 posts

Apr 7, 2013

My hero

Message 387 of 713 (382 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Apr 7, 2013

nuTTTz wrote:

Lewis_Hamilton_ wrote:

Ah, and remember that event creator back from the much older GT games? What a great feature hey? Eeyup, it's been on the GT5 disc all along, and PD blocked it out. If anything, all of these hybrids give me a high level of frustration and disappointment towards PD; felt like we've all been shortchanged somewhat. Our game could have been so much bigger and expansive, and all it takes is the flick of a couple of switches.

Changing sava-data parameters to modify car specs is a very different thing than 'hidden event creators'.

As to your, and seemingly many others dissapointment, I ask, really?

This is sounding a lot like a kids birthday party and someone found a code on the icing to locate all the hidden goodies inside the cake, and all the other kids are crying cause "he got a toy and I didnt!"

What all the 'Debbie Downers' truly fail to realize is the complexity of creating something like GT5.

No one here was present when PD staff were discussing what features to build, or impliment, noone here was privvy to any of the reasons why any particular thing was included or excluded.

There are hundreds of factors that come into play that most will never be aware of.

Any and everyone complaining and suggesting PD should do this, or that, is basing thier wishes on just that, thier wishes, with no grasp whatsoever on what is actually involved or would be required on the developmental side.

Heck just by paying close attention when an opportunity to find out 2nd hand what PD does to model a car, made it abundantly clear why GT is the premier driving sim on ANY console, the devil is in the details, and PD spends more time and effort on the little stuff than anyone.

To be so critical of something you understand so little makes no sense, any conclusion made is flawed as it is made with very limited information and understanding. Really no different than strolling into the MIT math department, finding the biggest blackboard with the most equations and telling the Professor they are all wrong, yet you have no understanding of what they actually mean.

There used to be a time when people would reserve thier opinions because they had little or no information to base a reasonable conclusion on, I guess times have changed for some.

The only real truth in all of this, PD has consistently produced the very best console based driving sim release after release, period.

So if the very best is not good enough at least there are plenty of choices in the "wants to be GT" category of titles.

Stick to what you know, otherwise your all just guessing.

The complexity of a game such as gt5 is extreme. You could spend hours looking through codes etc than that is just for the data. THEN you have the modelling itself which is easy to make a model of a car but to make it recieve real time damage when you hit a wall means you have to do the whole model again but this time with a dent  etc so its not just 1 model .We will never fully know what work goes into making these games and will never fully understand it.

All we can do is have a "wish list" for special menus and cars etc.    

From GT  to GT5 has been amazing and theres 7 gran turismo games made so far in total so they have the knowledge and the skil and a great reputation to go off. so trust in their judgement.

Message 388 of 713 (377 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2967 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 7, 2013

OzDaddy62 wrote:

My friends and I decided that seeing we own the disc, we were going to do what we like with it, so we started "hacking" the disc.  So far we've:
Used it for drink coasters.

Made big dangly earrings.

Turned it into a frisbee (does need some added aero)

Took it the next step and played frisbee golf.

Used it as a ninja weapon (which also meant using it to reflect the sun to signal the ambulance as to where we were)

Attached it to a weather balloon to set the record for biggest air in GT5.

Made little tiny bike frames, attached two discs and turned Daytona into a velodrome.

Got a big enough group together to make a solar power array (got the pit garage lights running on that).

And in our biggest project yet, we are attaching several together in a dish, so that we can see if there is GT5 on Mars.

They can't stop us, we have only just begun!

Might wanna wait on that last one there Oz, seems theres a team already on it.

gtonmars

Message 389 of 713 (362 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4654 posts

Apr 7, 2013

Yeah but with those camber and toe settings, let alone the ride height adjustment, they'll be off in the first corner, stuck in a ditch.

Message 390 of 713 (333 Views)
0 Likes