Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Re: Hacked cars in GT5

Apr 28, 2013

I think PD realize their response was too slow. If, at this point, they banned everyone online that had a hacked car, they would alienate a sizable portion of their player base. Particularly, after nearly three years of the game being out, the player base the MOST loyal to GT5. That has got to be worrying them.

Perhaps, at this point, they might also start to consider the importance of living up to their own promises...

Probably the main reason why the cosmetic and harmless swaps (and even things like the tires, and such) were so popular is simply boredom. Despite a promise of monthly DLC (or bi-monthly, whatever), the supply of new tracks and cars pretty much dried up a while ago, never even lived up to it initially, and the player base is left with little new to do. So the hacks were seized as an alternative to PD providing something new to do. In a way, you can hardly blame the kids doing this. And, I expect, PD are starting to see this and have soft-pedaled on the bans.

Hopefully, PD have learned 3 important lessons, that they never really had to learn in the GT4 era, before DLC became commonplace in gaming... a) if you promise a steady supply of DLC (paid or free), you better keep your word! b) today's players expect, if it is 3 or 4 years between releases, to have the game seriously expanded over time, and c) next time, don't leave old and unused code in the game data!

Now, don't get me wrong. Personally, being strictly into online shuffle and spec racing, the hacks don't interest me in the slightest. But I can see the kids' point of view. And I'm not discounting what PD did do to expand the game. But it fell far short of what was promised, or could reasonably be expected given the much longer period between games compared to most games' one year or so cycle.

Can PD evolve? Only time will tell.

Message 501 of 713 (360 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
785 posts

Apr 29, 2013

I agree with a lot in your post, Destinkeys.

I have had a lot of discussions with guys who hybrid, and they remind me of being strikingly similar to this guy. The video does peek into the  enjoyment and passion that cars can bring to our life. Come on PD, you know what to do for GT6.

Message 502 of 713 (327 Views)
Fender Bender
3586 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 29, 2013

Destinkeys wrote:

I think PD realize their response was too slow. If, at this point, they banned everyone online that had a hacked car, they would alienate a sizable portion of their player base. Particularly, after nearly three years of the game being out, the player base the MOST loyal to GT5. That has got to be worrying them.

So you're saying a sizable portion of people who play GT5 are hackers and cheaters?  I seriously doubt that.  I ran across a few hackers over the course of the past 3 months waiting for PD's latest patch, but the sizable portion of people playing were honest people playing within the rules.  I think I can speak for the sizable portion that we don't want hackers and cheaters ruining online play and making it unfair.  So good reddens to them, may they never come back!  I hope PD bans every one of them.  PD needs to make a statement that if you can't play fair and within the rules, then you can't play here.  That creates integrity for the game, hackers totally do the opposite regardless of their reasons and self justifications.

Perhaps, at this point, they might also start to consider the importance of living up to their own promises...

The only thing PD needs to do in the future is never make promises.  Knowing that the future is never certain for anyone in life, nor a company, any promises given should be taken with a grain of salt and never taken literally.  That's the difference why I'm not upset of not getting monthly DLC and you are.  So give it a rest.

Probably the main reason why the cosmetic and harmless swaps (and even things like the tires, and such) were so popular is simply boredom. Despite a promise of monthly DLC (or bi-monthly, whatever), the supply of new tracks and cars pretty much dried up a while ago, never even lived up to it initially, and the player base is left with little new to do. So the hacks were seized as an alternative to PD providing something new to do. In a way, you can hardly blame the kids doing this. And, I expect, PD are starting to see this and have soft-pedaled on the bans.

You're part of the player base, are you bored with the game with no new DLC?  I'm not, I played the game for 12 hours straight today and had tons of fun, even made a new friend.  After 2+ years, I think it's safe to say that the majority of people who quickly get bored with games are long gone from GT5.  The people who require constant new content to keep them interested are the people who can never get enough regardless of how much they've already been given and are never satisfied.  Those people end up leaving after a period of time regardless.

Hopefully, PD have learned 3 important lessons, that they never really had to learn in the GT4 era, before DLC became commonplace in gaming... a) if you promise a steady supply of DLC (paid or free), you better keep your word! b) today's players expect, if it is 3 or 4 years between releases, to have the game seriously expanded over time, and c) next time, don't leave old and unused code in the game data!

A)  Revert back to my 2nd response
B)  Maybe it's time the people realize they expect too much all the time.  How expanded should GT5 realistically be right now?  2,000+ cars and 100 different tracks?  When is enough, enough?  The game could have 2,000+ cars and 100 tracks right now and the game still would have been hacked, not out of boredom but simply for the fun of hacking a game and cheating.
C)  This is probably the only point you made I'll agree with.

Now, don't get me wrong. Personally, being strictly into online shuffle and spec racing, the hacks don't interest me in the slightest. But I can see the kids' point of view. And I'm not discounting what PD did do to expand the game. But it fell far short of what was promised, or could reasonably be expected given the much longer period between games compared to most games' one year or so cycle.

What are the 'most game's' you're referring to?  Other than games like WOW, what console games are expanded vastly from one version to the next that you're comparing GT too?

Can PD evolve? Only time will tell.

From GT4 to GT5, I'd say PD has evolved their game very well.  Is it perfect, is it everything to everybody?  Of course not, but what game is?  It's good enough to keep me playing it for the past 2+ years and still playing it 12 hours straight with a smile on my face.  So they're defiantly doing something right.  What games are you still playing religiously after 2+ years time as much as you do GT5?  Those vastly expanded ones?  I doubt it.

photo PSForumSigPic1_zps15f972f0.png
Message 503 of 713 (317 Views)
Splicer
41 posts

Apr 29, 2013
Here's an inconvenient truth for those who were/are opposed to modding cars. A well done mod is undetectable. It simply looks like a really good tune.

I hope they kept the ability to part swap in the code and I hope its a feature of GT6. If not...well..time will tell.
http://www.gttuningwizard.com/ - Killer tune in seconds
Follow on Facebook -> https://www.facebook.com/gtsuspensionwizard

Racing online is everything!!
Message 504 of 713 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 29, 2013

Point by point.... (@ Beelzebub)

If you don't go into hacked rooms, if you spend most of your time in organized racing rooms, you aren't going to see much. Might lead you to believe it is extremely rare. A visit to a less 'racing' orientated forum might convince you otherwise...

If PD's only lesson from this is that they should make NO promises, that's a pretty poor response to the issue. The funny thing is, if PD had lived up to it, you would be heaping praise on them for doing it. So... Praise for doing something, praise for doing nothing. Doesn't look like PD can do anything wrong, in your eyes. They must feel blessed!

If, instead of taking my post in order you had simply read the whole thing before you went on a bullet point refutation, you might have seen that I have no interest whatsoever in the hacks, and am enjoying the game pretty much the same way as you. Difference, of course, is that I'm capable of seeing BOTH sides of the issue. Something you seem to have a problem with!

Hyperbole isn't going to show anything. Who reasonably expected 2000+ cars and 100 tracks..? Read that anywhere, or you simply made it up to make an absurd comparison? What we got in three YEARS of usage was a kart track, two real tracks (one of which was simply a dolled up port from GT4) and a really boring long straight. 100 tracks? I'd have been happy (and would have paid for) ten. Yes... put me down with being bored (fatigued, over-exposed, whatever!) of the same few tracks for so long. Take rally and snow tracks out the picture, take the basher tracks out the picture (hard to get the kids to race clean on AR Mini or Eiger, etc.) and you are really only left with 18 or so tracks (and their variants) and the DLC tracks, which are often hard to call, as many for some unknown reason haven't ponied up the measly $10 for them all.

Yes, after nearly three years, most of the people 'quickly' bored with the same game are long gone. But all this debacle about modding and hacking has shown one thing. Many STILL playing the game are desperate for ANYTHING new to do...

Not sure you read the paragraph about game cycles. Take another look. I simply made the point that many games have a one year or so cycle. So there is new content coming all the time (comparatively!). Whereas, PD are on about a four to five year cycle. Prologue and GT5 were basically the same game but GT5 expanded it considerably. In fact, the main thing people talk about from Prologue were some of the great things (manufacturer races, PP systems that took tires into account, etc.) that PD for some unknown reason dropped. The point being, if you bring a new game out every year or so, it doesn't NEED a massive re-write. But when your cycle sits at about 4-5 years, it is not unreasonable for the players to expect some added content (physics tweaks and minor gameplay changes don't count as CONTENT... I'm talking tracks and cars).

I don't disagree that from GT4 to GT5, PD evolved their game very well. But GT4 came out in 2005, and here we are in 2013, only getting to the end of the GT5 cycle. Eight years between the start of one game and the end of the next. That's pretty long, by most game's standards. Personally, I don't feel that expecting some paid DLC is unreasonable. Particularly how it pays for itself. It wouldn't be cutting into PD's bottom line, that's for sure..!

Anyway, I am disappointed you managed to find ANYTHING at all we agreed on! You need to try harder, LOL. But if someone so uncritical of what PD do, good, bad or indifferent, doesn't agree with me, I think I am on the right track. As I said, if PD had brought out a decent amount of DLC, you would be praising them for doing it as unquestioningly as you are praising them for NOT doing it. There comes a time when you need to pick a position...

Message 505 of 713 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5548 posts

Apr 29, 2013
He has picked a position. As have you.

At this point, we need to agree to disagree.

I can see many points in what you just said that make good sense. However, there are still questions of how PD actually runs their business. You don't know, and neither do we.

Don't forget we are on the trailing end of explanations, not the leading. Good luck directing the horse from the tail.... Smiley Wink
If you are a Christian, copy and paste this in your sig. In life, and especially as a Christian, in order to finish first, you must first finish. What's YOUR first place? donoharm.us #sharethegift #peaceispossible #BecauseHeLives #Hallelujah

I am autistic, but not always eloquent.

"Racing makes a heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan
Not all curves that you brake for are corners that you turn for-Matterhorn.... Smiley Wink
Message 506 of 713 (276 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1141 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 29, 2013

TRLWNC wrote:
He has picked a position. As have you.

At this point, we need to agree to disagree.

I can see many points in what you just said that make good sense. However, there are still questions of how PD actually runs their business. You don't know, and neither do we.

Don't forget we are on the trailing end of explanations, not the leading. Good luck directing the horse from the tail.... Smiley Wink

I think we alll know who the "tail" is. Smiley Very Happy

aka smokeethetire
Message 507 of 713 (265 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Apr 30, 2013

I'm fairly certain I know who is right NEXT to the tail... LOL

Only point I'm trying to bring up with Beelzebub is, it is no more as likely that everything that PD do is right, as it is everything they do is wrong. They don't walk on water, have made plenty of mistakes in the past, and are likely to continue to do so. If Beelzebub wants to ignore this, fine by me.

But basically, if your position is nothing more than 'PD can do no wrong', there's not really much point discussing anything, is there? I am pretty sure we don't need to have that repeated, every time, do we?

Message 508 of 713 (251 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5548 posts

Apr 30, 2013
No, they make mistakes. They are human.

I think it's prudent that you remember you are, too, and your posts leave a lot to be desired in the professional category.

We will see what will come no matter what we say.
If you are a Christian, copy and paste this in your sig. In life, and especially as a Christian, in order to finish first, you must first finish. What's YOUR first place? donoharm.us #sharethegift #peaceispossible #BecauseHeLives #Hallelujah

I am autistic, but not always eloquent.

"Racing makes a heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan
Not all curves that you brake for are corners that you turn for-Matterhorn.... Smiley Wink
Message 509 of 713 (249 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Apr 30, 2013

LOL... I could make a compendium of quite blatantly hostile, insulting, completely 'unprofessional' replies to posts of mine that the content, not the tone, has upset.

While I am sure that you mean well, perhaps get your own house in order first? I am perfectly willing to stay on topic, don't feel the need to make any innuendos about horse's tails (unless baited first), and would simply like the opportunity to make my points. You are all perfectly free to disagree with them. But for once, it would be nice to see a thread not go downhill into infantilism simply because you disagree.

Lately, FAR more of the more shrill members' posts have been moderator censored than mine. I have mostly stayed away from responding in kind. But it appears that some of us haven't got the hint...

Message 510 of 713 (244 Views)
0 Likes