Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Re: Hello, DLC!

Feb 7, 2013

BTW, it seems from several of the previous posts that you seem to be thinking about FREE DLC. I am not, nor ever have been talking about this. No-one expects PD to drop GT6 development to give us free stuff (even though they have, at times!). I'm talking about PAID DLC. It pays for itself, above and beyond what PD are getting from what new sales of GT5 they currently have (not a whole lot, I'd presume).

You might also remember that, for a brief time, DLC seemed to be flowing quite well. Remember the Car Packs, and the Kart Space/Spa package, and then Motegi? It all seemed to come in a fairly short span of time. Then nothing... until the free Corvette. This doesn't seem to fall under anyone's definition of 'regular' no matter what timeframe between releases you want.

I'd also like to point out that 'updates' to fix physics (or nerf the PP system!) are not DLC. DLC is downloadable CONTENT. Content is tracks, cars, horns, racing suits, paints, whatever. Not gameplay upgrades. Take those out of the equation, and things start to look a lot barer. TBH, GT Academy seems to have wasted more than a little of what precious modeling resources PD seem to have, with new DLC cars (OK, re-painted and decaled!) cars all over the place! Fortunately (or coincidentally, more likely!) we got Motegi afterwards. And since then, track-wise, nothing...

When DLC tracks can add millions of dollars to PD's bottom line, more than enough to hire the extra people to produce it, why they choose to not do this is beyond me.

Message 61 of 73 (357 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8466 posts

Feb 7, 2013

ok ignore all the points that are spot on and find the one (paid vs free) that is still murky and argue that... fine.  that's your M. O. and we're used to it.

so here it goes.  here is why you do not produce a track pack 2+ years after the game has come out.  Numbers.  Quantity.

Let's assume that GT5 sold 10 million units at $60 a piece.  That is around $600,000,000 gross.

If you produce a track and charge $2 for that one track, you'd have to sell millsions of copies before it made it more attractive to release it as DLC vs keeping it for the next game which will sell millions of units and at $60 a piece.

Anything they keep now and add to GT6 makes it sell better, and DLC sales are very likely to be miniscule compared to units sold of a new game. I'd guess that each DLC release (paid) sells only a few hundred thousand units.  Especially this late in the game's cycle.  the first pack or two might have sold a lot more, but I'd bet that it has steadily declined as they have released subsequent DLC.

It's simple math once you really think about it.

Businessmen run this show, afterall.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna (FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only)
GT Saturdays Event Thread
Ex's Racing VideosSupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 62 of 73 (354 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
291 posts

Feb 7, 2013

Here's the thing, with GT6 coming out on PS4, its makes the DLC tracks that much more profitable. PS4 will cost money, a lot I'm sure $400+. There will be just as many, if not more, still on PS3 till the PS4 drops in price.

Even at 2 tracks a year, even if half@ssed old school tracks, would help pass the 3- 5 years until everyone switches over to PS4.

If they can't give us these older tracks, kinda makes me nervous of what we will even get with GT6. Are we just going to get the GT5 tracks and 2 "new real tracks", all with BNG. Would be a huge disappointment.

Ferrari F1 Season 2 Champ-6 wins 9 podiums
Exotics Season 2 Champ-5 wins 13 podiums
FGT Season 1 Champ 5 wins 5 podiums
Acura NSX '91 season 1 Got my A$$ handed to me 1 win
Megane Trophy Season 1 Champ 9 wins 9 podiums
Message 63 of 73 (333 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2311 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 7, 2013

faceman557 wrote:

Here's the thing, with GT6 coming out on PS4, its makes the DLC tracks that much more profitable. PS4 will cost money, a lot I'm sure $400+. There will be just as many, if not more, still on PS3 till the PS4 drops in price.

Even at 2 tracks a year, even if half@ssed old school tracks, would help pass the 3- 5 years until everyone switches over to PS4.

If they can't give us these older tracks, kinda makes me nervous of what we will even get with GT6. Are we just going to get the GT5 tracks and 2 "new real tracks", all with BNG. Would be a huge disappointment.

Odd. I'm happy with my custom made courses and don't need PD to waste any time fulfilling your dreams of having new tracks added constantly.. I wouldn't kick new courses outta bed, so to speak, but really, I'd get far more enjoyment out of having a more robust course creator any day of the week over having any real world track added and in fact, get quite a bit of pleasure out of even the limited course creator created tracks I make.

Admittedly, I'm only one person, and so in the face of the majority, my personally opinion is worth nothing, but I figured I'd voice it anyway.

- There's a distinct difference between slow & deliberate and deliberately slow -
Message 64 of 73 (334 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1312 posts

Feb 7, 2013
hey6541 wrote:

whatever you fanboy, and all you other fanboys,  this games sucks, and the hundred people on my friends list that only play this game are no fun either. i mean how are we supposed to  find anything  exciting or fun to do with this game. it's content is so limited, and the online community is so nonexistant. if only someone would maybe start a racing  league, then we could have some clean and organized races. maybe they could throw in an endurace race from time to time. someone could also maybe come up with a friday night event, and call it the midnight show. maybe then we could get someting on saturday going, we could call it gt saturdays. sadly because of the selfish laziness that exists here in gt5 world no one will ever step up to the plate and get these kind of events going. that did it i will never play gt games again!!

UMMMMM, ALL THE ABOVE WAS SARCASM!!!!!  ^^^^

Message 65 of 73 (324 Views)
PlayStation Moderator
5612 posts

Feb 7, 2013
Hi everyone, this thread has been cleaned up of off topic posts. Please be respectful of others' opinions that may be different from your own. Thanks! :smileyhappy:
Message 66 of 73 (275 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
99 posts

Feb 7, 2013

Hey your killin me man!! yes i am still laughing and will see you at a league event on one of the 7 nights that they are available. Cheers

Message 67 of 73 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2052 posts

Feb 7, 2013

hey6541 wrote:

For many of us gt guys it's more then just a game. it is a way for us to get out and RACE without all the expenses of owning a real race car. after all if i had unlimited funds, rest assured i would take all my friends here and buy them all cars.  i would then  take them with me to all the tracks around the world.  we would race, and race, and race. until then i'll roll here.

hey, I'm gonna get my hands on some lottery tickets and send em your way. If I won the lottery my wife would get most all of it. At least if I send em to you I will get a free car and some seriously fun racing experience. lol Well, so long as you win millions right!

photo 3da2a2f2-f5ac-48ee-92a6-ef916fe7b8b4.jpg
Message 68 of 73 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1312 posts

Feb 8, 2013

tguns16 wrote:

hey6541 wrote:

For many of us gt guys it's more then just a game. it is a way for us to get out and RACE without all the expenses of owning a real race car. after all if i had unlimited funds, rest assured i would take all my friends here and buy them all cars.  i would then  take them with me to all the tracks around the world.  we would race, and race, and race. until then i'll roll here.

hey, I'm gonna get my hands on some lottery tickets and send em your way. If I won the lottery my wife would get most all of it. At least if I send em to you I will get a free car and some seriously fun racing experience. lol Well, so long as you win millions right!

sounds good, me thinks everyone here should do the same. oh i almost forgot, hey gar i would be your sponsor too. provided you let me drive from time to time.

Message 69 of 73 (219 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Feb 9, 2013

I undeerstand the difficulties of leading a company and the way to leave things open.. its a world to catch up. But they would make a lot oof of people still happy by trowing some things intoo the game that seemt missing for my idea that Imissed from the older gt's.. Its a great game but could be even greater in my eyes. offcourse they will set anything right at the new GT.

Message 70 of 73 (165 Views)
0 Likes