Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
1617 posts

Re: High Wire

Apr 22, 2013

Thanks to everyone for the links you've posted, there is some cool information in there, It was encouraging to hear that many car companies have plans beyond oil.  It's not that I'm against petrol in general either, I'm a motorsport enthusiast as well, but at the center of it all is our kids, what are they going to do when all the ancient sunshine has been extracted and thrown back up in the atmosphere? We better come up with a plan for Methyl Hydrates (that stuff under the permafrost)or quickly get used to...... Oh I don't know...... a prolonged snow season..... bigger hurricanes every October....... frequent droughts in some places while it floods in others...... a larger arid region around the equator. Sure we've been warming since the last ice age but now is the time to plan for it. Apologies for rambling but you are all friends by proxy and I really just want everyone to just think about it. 

Photobucket
Message 31 of 103 (205 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
785 posts

Apr 22, 2013

Gojet-64 wrote: Top Gear Trivia: Clarkson called the car the P45 because it was shorter (length) and narrower than a Peel P50. The Peel P50 was named because of its 50cc engine. However, the Top Gear P45 has a 100cc engine, making the name technically incorrect.

The name was never intended to indicate the size of the engine, it was a play on words due to the car being slightly smaller than the Peel P50.

A P45 in the United Kingdom, and the Republic of Ireland is the reference code of a form titled Details of employee leaving work. The term is used in British slang as a metonym for termination of employment. The equivalent slang term in the United States is pink slip.

Message 32 of 103 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1617 posts

Apr 22, 2013

So far I've tracked the Hi-wire through it's evolution to the carousel. Still don't know where it is now but I'm getting closer.

http://www.automotto.com/entry/gms-futuristic-carousel-concept-revisited/

http://www.adrianchernoff.com/pages/CARousel.html

Photobucket
Message 33 of 103 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4084 posts

Apr 22, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

TRLWNC wrote:

But...... for the power that is used to power one hydrogen car (okay, yes I read it) for 300 miles or so, I could STILL power SEVERAL electric cars for 200-300 miles apiece. Hence the loss of efficiency.

And, by the way, if you are driving on the freeway, 300 miles takes less than half a day..... :smileywink:

You know, throwing a winking emoticon at the end of a sentence, no matter how irrational it may be, doesn't make it correct. "Several electric cars"? What are you, Donald Trump?

Leave it to a "gamer" to come up with the most convoluted way of looking at something.

Hmmmm...... I'm wrong when, traveling at 70 mph for a little over 4 hours,..... when I am basing a half day on driving for 10 hours...... hmmmmm.........

Oh, and, no "I" won't OWN the several cars. I will, however, be capable of charging to full capacity multiple electric vehicles when they use only a few kilowatts and electrolysis of several gallons of water (enough to fill a tank that will run for 300 miles) takes MANY megawatts...... hmmm........

Also, as far as having time....... look at what was just said about lead. I am not against alternative energy, I just realize that the change required to have something like this happen is going to take more than our lifetimes.

Plus, MasterGT said very clearly that hydrogen isn't efficient, as I have been trying to point out.

Really, this whole thing is a moot point until hydrogen can be extracted from whatever in a FAR more efficient way. The cars and systems that can use it are okay (still need some work, but they are getting there). The problem is in getting the most abundant fuel in the universe away from whatever it is viciously clinging to without burning more energy than you could POSSIBLY gain to at LEAST equal, and hopefully less is going to take something I don't think many, if any, people in this world know about.

Until that final problem is solved,...... Hydrogen is and will be inefficient. All of the ideas in the world that make its USE efficient can't and won't change that.

I am an engineer. Not got a Masters, but I understand quite a lot about what I'm talking about. I am NOT a "gamer"!

If you are a Christian, copy and paste this in your sig. In life, and especially as a Christian, in order to finish first, you must first finish. What's YOUR first place? donoharm.us #sharethegift #peaceispossible

I am autistic, but not always eloquent.

"Racing makes a heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan
Not all curves that you brake for are corners that you turn for-Matterhorn.... :smileywink:
Message 34 of 103 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1617 posts

Apr 22, 2013

What about Methane? 

Photobucket
Message 35 of 103 (172 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3547 posts

Apr 22, 2013

jaejsteele wrote:

What about Methane? 

cow-power.jpg

Message 36 of 103 (169 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1617 posts

Apr 22, 2013

There are actually three farms in my local area producing energy for themselves and the grid. An investment of 1.5 million un-subsidized dollars can create energy at the same time it reduces pollution. Priorities are what I'm advocating, nothing more.

But Ox, I mean Oz, that's a Holstein, they don't have horns. 

Photobucket
Message 37 of 103 (164 Views)
Fender Bender
2816 posts

Apr 22, 2013

jaejsteele wrote:

There are actually three farms in my local area producing energy for themselves and the grid. An investment of 1.5 million un-subsidized dollars can create energy at the same time it reduces pollution. Priorities are what I'm advocating, nothing more.

But Ox, I mean Oz, that's a Holstein, they don't have horns. 

Thats udderly astounding. :smileywink:

Message 38 of 103 (156 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Apr 23, 2013

Interesting thread...

I wonder if anyone is looking at the big picture, though. Alternative fuels all suffer from one enormous problem. Inefficiency. Simply put, gasoline has the largest 'bang for the buck' out there. Or we WOULD be using something else! And, while niche alternatives offer a nice Jetson's like glimpse of a future we will probably never see, these so called 'alternatives' never address the sheer SCALE of our current energy usage. Nor our addiction to the speed of how we are used to doing things.

While solar, wind and biofuels can get you there, scale them up to the levels of the entire planet's energy uses, and none of them will get the job done without disruption of the world's ecology and climate. Basically, as it stands right now, we are pulling vast amounts of energy from the ground that was stored up slowly over millions (billions!) of years. And yes, we are doing possibly irreparable damage to our planet by burning them all off. But try to imagine the entire world's current energy needs being taken from another source...

Wind? Disrupt wind patterns over the globe to take that much energy out of the delicate system of climate balance? No?

Solar? Less invasive, but still close to 1% of the total solar radiation falling on the earth would be needed to generate even 5 years ago power levels with foreseeable solar efficiency conversion. Even a 1% drop in solar radiation would once again have devastating climate change implications.

Biofuels... inefficient, and any farmer or historian will tell you the potential disaster for growing a monoculture on industrial (let alone global) scale. One persistent disease or parasite and the world starves (forget about just driving!). Not to mention the chemical nightmare it will be simply growing the stuff. We are already seeing worldwide food prices spike just from the minor diversion of some foodstuffs to be used as biofuels, and all mostly because of government subsidies to promote the idea that big government cares, and is doing something, rather than its long term viability.

And all this is moot without some efficient storage for that mythical green power that can travel with us on the road. Batteries, fuel cells and the like all gradually get a bit better, but corner a physicist in an honest mood, and ask him what the odds are of being able to store today's level of energy efficiency of gasoline in an affordable, practical, globally scaled form, and they just start to stammer.

The truth of the matter may very well be, we are going to have to kiss goodbye to our current levels of addiction to power and speed, to being able to be free to travel where we want, how we want, and as fast as we want. We will have to gain the majority of our energy consumption drop not in doing exactly the same with less, but doing LESS with less.

This, of course, has radical implications not only for racing, but just general day to day driving, let alone the industrial scale transportation of goods and foodstuffs around the world. For energy efficient vehicles to be anything more that a balm for our guilty consciences, with no noticeable impact on worldwide CO2 pollution, we are going to have to make the pony car a distant memory! Something we tell our grandchildren about the way we were told about whaling, or Europe's lost forests (or our current loss of rainforest!). Hopefully, they go 'Why were you all so stupid?' rather than 'I wish I had a Ferrari!'...

As GT5 fans, of course most of us are speed addicts.No doubt many of us choose the most powerful, fun car we can afford. But that has got to change. No magic bullet from the Green Fairy is going to make it so we can have our cake and eat it too!

Doing less with less is the bleak future this planet must take to survive. Grim? Yes. Likely...? IMHO, inevitable.

There are only two future technologies currently being worked on that would have no impact on our planet and keep our current levels of addiction to worldwide energy consumption and unchecked population growth tenable. Nuclear fusion and geothermal. On a global scale, there isn't one scientist that is willing to say those are guaranteed to be working in sufficient time (if ever) to save us. So, we trundle along, trying desperately to not look at the elephant in the room, deluding ourselves with every gimcrack idea pushed by some 'scientist' desperate for more research funds. The minute you scale their ideas up to global proportion, few of them hold a drop of water.

Pessimistic? Of course. You know me! But once you understand the lunacy of ever increasing energy use by an exponentially increasing human population, and do the math, things become pretty bleak. And no amount of Priuses is going to help.

We need a miracle.

Message 39 of 103 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4084 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 23, 2013

This is the best post here.

I fully agree with the inevitable statement.

BTW-last post -methane IS natural gas...... we could replace propane with it, but it still doesn't touch gas for efficiency.

If you are a Christian, copy and paste this in your sig. In life, and especially as a Christian, in order to finish first, you must first finish. What's YOUR first place? donoharm.us #sharethegift #peaceispossible

I am autistic, but not always eloquent.

"Racing makes a heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan
Not all curves that you brake for are corners that you turn for-Matterhorn.... :smileywink:
Message 40 of 103 (138 Views)
0 Likes